• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Would you let your members have multiple accounts?

Forums like Forum coin and Mylot won't allow members to have multiple accounts as those websites pay members to post. In the case of regular forums, that depends on the owner of the site.

I will teach you three Forum lingoes that shares the same meaning:

Ghosties,Alternicks and Alterego!

Those three words are slangs for alternate accounts. Some Forums allow members to have multiple accounts because it makes an illusion that the forum has a lot of members. Some Forum owners ban members with alternate accounts because there are people who makes multiple accounts to make everyone believe that his opinion is the majority.

I personally believe that multiple accounts should not be allowed in a forum. There should be only one brain behind a username and as you said members can take undue advantage of multiple accounts in emphasizing their supremacy in the forum. But that is quite unhealthy. As a matter of fact whichever sites I came into contact with till now never allow multiple accounts from the same IP (computer). But a user who got more than one computer can easily open two accounts, i.e. one account each from computer. I think there is no way to check this.

When a person is getting outnumbered on a debate, They usually make a second account so he can show is debate opponents that he is not alone. I know that is silly but there are people who are very obsessed with their opinions and they were willing to do deception just to make everyone believe his opinion matters. Some people on the other hand makes these dummy accounts to keep their threads from flopping. It is also their way to bump their struggling thread.

I had seen very successful forums that lets people to have dummy accounts as long as they don't use it for trolling and spamming. It is a double edged sword if you think about it.

In my opinion, multiple accounts should not be allowed in forums. Forum is a place to share opinion, a user having multiple accounts could manipulate the discussion. A user having multiple account may also spam.

It should not be allowed by forum admins. In this way, they are promoting spam in their forums. A user can do everything with a single account. Then why did he/she make the second account? The purpose is simple if it's money making site, the purpose is making more money. If it's a simple site, the reason is spamming.

Not all people with multiple accounts do spamming though. They just want an illusion that they have a friend to defend them on debates. While others wanted an alter ego with a different personality. Let's say there is a person who have 2 account and the first account is the friendly nice one while the other one is the ruthless troll.

The question arises in the first place on why a person needs multiple accounts on a single site.

The account is an identity of a certain entity, and a person should not have multiple entities. Keeping more than one identity may create confusions to other members at the time of interaction to a certain post. Sticking to a single user name gives the advantage of getting recognized, where you don’t need to build up your reputation again and again. Your previous works speak for you. Single account works best, as it lets the world know the person you are.

The question arises in the first place on why a person needs multiple accounts on a single site.

The account is an identity of a certain entity, and a person should not have multiple entities. Keeping more than one identity may create confusions to other members at the time of interaction to a certain post. Sticking to a single user name gives the advantage of getting recognized, where you don’t need to build up your reputation again and again. Your previous works speak for you. Single account works best, as it lets the world know the person you are.
You are absolutely right, It doesn't even makes sense to have multiple accounts on any forum. People make those accounts only for the purpose of spamming. There is no other benefit of such accounts in the forums. Those people can be avoided to be able to scam in the forums. We should block multiple account registration using same IP or computer. In this way, our forum will look like a legit site not a spammy one.

In a word...no. If I was the owner of a site, it would be strictly one account per member and if I found anybody cheating the TOS then it would be an instant ban.

For a forum especially, there's no reason to have multiple accounts, unless you want to cause issues with other members or stir up trouble. If you have something to add to a forum, you use the one account, not hide behind a fake profile.

While most people here seemed to discourage it. I wonder why many forums, specially the successful ones are very lenient about this issue. Sometimes though we cannot guarantee if two accounts that shares the same Ip address is the same person. It could be siblings that lives on the same household. Then there are people who may not have their own internet connection and just logs in at a computer rental shop or uses their mobile phones at a free wifi spot. Instances like that can give 2 people the same Ip address.

ray

I am not sure any forum allows a member to have more than one account from same IP address. I have heard some sites allow family members with different Paypal address having accounts even using the same computer logging of and on but I don't understand how can they stop the same member haviing the second account in his family member's name.

It depends on the kind of forum. For a light-themed forum like celebrities and movies, I guess it is all right to allow a person to have multiple accounts as long as it is known to the moderators or admin. Having more than 1 account in a forum is tantamount to deception because you are having 2 personalities. But in our office website's forum, we allow that because some members want to have several personalities in the forum which is not really bad at all albeit they make the forum more interesting at times.

gabr1ela1

These things can happen and even if we do not realize, some people want to cheat, with or without the agreement of holding a forum.
But usually because these people who want to draw us in place, it seems like we're always disappointed, what makes us no longer have confidence in any site of its kind.

I am not sure any forum allows a member to have more than one account from same IP address. I have heard some sites allow family members with different Paypal address having accounts even using the same computer logging of and on but I don't understand how can they stop the same member haviing the second account in his family member's name.
We are talking about regular Forums. Paid Forums will surely not allow multiple accounts but in case of non paying forums, some of them allows it. In some forums multiple accounts seemed to helped some forums survive for decades. A good example is Survivor Sucks (despite of the forum name, it is the biggest fan community of the Reality show Survivor) That forum is 15 years old already and it's admin allows people to have multiple accounts. They don't ban people with multiple accounts but they humiliate them though.

It actually depends on the nature of business you have. If you are running a forum you should not allow multiple accounts from the same person. If you do so the basic purpose of a forum is defeated. A forum is a discussion room where people share their unique ideas on a given topic and if a person get two accounts, he may manipulate his answers to provide two different opinions on the same topic.

But a site like Humanatic (call reviewing site) allows multiple accounts from the same IP and I think there is no harm in that. Their business model is like that. The call once reviewed is not allocated to anybody else.

Why successful forums like Neogaf,Topix, Gamefaqs, Shoryuken,RTVgames and Capcom Unity allows them? These are Forums that were profiting and had been around for decades. On of the site I mentioned is already 20 years old.

ray

We are talking about regular Forums. Paid Forums will surely not allow multiple accounts but in case of non paying forums, some of them allows it. In some forums multiple accounts seemed to helped some forums survive for decades. A good example is Survivor Sucks (despite of the forum name, it is the biggest fan community of the Reality show Survivor) That forum is 15 years old already and it's admin allows people to have multiple accounts. They don't ban people with multiple accounts but they humiliate them though.
As a member of different forums including free forums (That does not pay for participation) i think it's better to allow one member from one IP address as it doesn't help in any way but help promoting each other. If that's the aim of the forum then it's all right. But as a member I would like to have true opinion of individual members.

Forums under the Yuku engine now gives members the legal ability to have multiple accounts if they will upgrade their membership. :eek: I believe some forums actually encourages multiple accounts because it creates an illusion that the forum have lots of members. An active looking forum actually motivates newbies to register. Ethical or not, it helped some forums to be successful. There are people who don't like forums that were too strict.

Top Bottom