• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Why wikipedia always comes first in search results?

Have you ever noticed that whenever you search for anything in Google, the first link that comes up will be of Wikipedia. I just wonder how they made this possible and what SEO techniques they might be using?

It is a fact that Wikipedia is the biggest contributor of information on Internet. They might be having articles on almost everything on this universe. But does it mean that they will be selected in all searches as the first choice?

It was in the news that Google gave $2 million grant to Wikipedia Foundation in 2010. Google termed Wikipedia as "one of the greatest triumphs of the Internet". Is there any relation or contract between Google and Wikipedia?

I am just curious to know about how Wikipedia get the highest ranking in Google searches?

There must be some sort of partnership between the 2. Even though Wikipedia can be edited by some jerks who have nothing to do with their lives. We cannot deny that Wikipedia is a reliable source of information. I believe their placement in the search results is well deserved. Then fact that Google gave them monetary before means Google fully supports Wikipedia's advocacy which is to be a free open source of information. Wikipedia saved us from buying thick volumes of Britannica encyclopedia or Webster's Dictionary.

I am not aware about any business partnership between Wikipedia and Google, however, it is true that Google trust Wikipedia more. Based on Google search results we can say the Google gives preference to trusted sites such as dot gov and dot org. Even though Wikipedia is a user generated content site (the site built from the contents created by users), the contents are trust worthy because it used number of refrences. If a wikipedia content does not cite any source, it clearly states that the article needs improvement.

I am not aware about any business partnership between Wikipedia and Google, however, it is true that Google trust Wikipedia more. Based on Google search results we can say the Google gives preference to trusted sites such as dot gov and dot org. Even though Wikipedia is a user generated content site (the site built from the contents created by users), the contents are trust worthy because it used number of references. If a wikipedia content does not cite any source, it clearly states that the article needs improvement.

There must be some sort of partnership between the 2. Even though Wikipedia can be edited by some jerks who have nothing to do with their lives. We cannot deny that Wikipedia is a reliable source of information. I believe their placement in the search results is well deserved. Then fact that Google gave them monetary before means Google fully supports Wikipedia's advocacy which is to be a free open source of information. Wikipedia saved us from buying thick volumes of Britannica encyclopedia or Webster's Dictionary.
I also believe that there's a formal connection between Google and Wikipedia although not explicitly published. Wikipedia is a non-profit organization. From the last I heard, Wikipedia is asking for donations because they are losing money and they don't want to have advertisements so their website will remain pure (free of pollutants). And in terms of information, Wikipedia is overflowing so it is only proper that it is first in the search list.

While I don't think there's any form of contractual agreement in place, Wikipedia is the first port of call that anybody goes to in order to find something out about anything from a sportsman to the population of a country, so I think the amount of users it gets per day will rank it number one, even without any agreement or SEO techniques, it's just sheer volume of natural traffic.

For one Wiki has been around for quite sometime. Longevity does play a role in placement. There is also quite a bit of credibility to the information they provide and that is favorable to Google. Especially since now they request for resources for the information posted and they actually have people check the information to ensure that it is not false information. It is not a 100% but they keep their information pretty clean.

Wikipedia is a real blessing for students and teachers who does research study on various topics. But still extract from Wikipedia is not approved as authoritative and cannot authenticate in research reports. But it is really a great sea of user generated content (UGC). It must be having almost all keywords being used in a search engine. So, I think they will dominate this place in future too.

But I am quite skeptical about the position they enjoy and is it a fair play?

Rubie

Well, Wiki seems to rule traffic generation since its always the top listed site in Google search. I admit, I refer and trust information from Wiki. I find it credible and reliable, since I made a second opinion on other informative websites. And based on researches that I have regarding a specific matter, Wiki seems to reflect the same way as other sites do.

Well, Wiki seems to rule traffic generation since its always the top listed site in Google search. I admit, I refer and trust information from Wiki. I find it credible and reliable, since I made a second opinion on other informative websites. And based on researches that I have regarding a specific matter, Wiki seems to reflect the same way as other sites do.
Yes, there is no doubt you can find a lot of information on Wikipedia on almost anything you are interested. But it is still not considered as an authentic source in research reports as anybody can edit and update it. As it got a vast text source in almost any topic on this universe, it may be quite natural to get it listed at top in search findings. At the same time I am somewhat doubtful about the position keeping in mind the collaboration between Wikpedia and Google. Anything can happen on net.

Rubie

I don't rely on the information provided by Wiki alone, @goodluck2u, as I've mentioned, I do multiple searches before coming up with the most credible information. Since Wiki matches information from other sites, then I just considered it credible then.

It is said that Wiki can be edited by users, then it might be the reason why it comes first on search listing. Different variations of words that is provided by users, helps in creating almost all types of searching keywords. That's why whatever search keyword a specific person is provided, Wiki never failed to provide the need for information.

As we all know, Wikipedia is like an encyclopedia where we can find some information we are looking for. Users might possibly edit the contents, but there are references where some of the contents were based from.

According to Alexa, Wikipedia is currently ranked at number 7. Since no other sites above Wikipedia with the same platform, Wikipedia will naturally top the rank in Google search.

Rubie

I think Wiki also implements some rules and regulations for the user editor. Like @ipol12 the editors provide reliable references to support what they write in the pages of Wiki. If that is the case then, most probably it is referrable. No wonder it is most trusted by Google.

This wikipedia ranking things are all happened because of a recent google algorithm update, google started to give priority for brand pages and i dont know why it considered wikipedia as a brand.

I think Wiki also implements some rules and regulations for the user editor. Like @ipol12 the editors provide reliable references to support what they write in the pages of Wiki. If that is the case then, most probably it is referrable. No wonder it is most trusted by Google.
Yes. And everytime you search for something, Wikipedia results is always on the first page. Knowing Google is very strict, it may mean that Wikipedia is a reliable site. Though, checking the references is also needed.

We can rely on Wikipedia's information any topic because they prepare their contents based on some trusted sources and give those references for the reader's information. I don't think there is an agreement between Google and Wikipedia. Reason for its high ranking should be based on a mutual trust developed over years.

Wiki has changed much of their site from where it was before. When it first came about, citing sources was not a requirement and the information posted was not checked for accuracy. Now they require citations as well as check the information that is being presented. So their information has become much more reliable. However, institutions of learning and various groups still do not trust the information provided by Wiki and do not allow for its use. My teachers at my college's made it clear the Wiki was not an acceptable source for any of our papers.

Binu

Wikepedia is ranked high because wikepedia contents are well written and are reliable. However, you can beat wikepedia if you can produce informative article on the topic. For example, I cannot find a good article on a tribe called Tamang in Wikepedia. If I write a good article on Tamang,I will surely beat that wikepedia article.

Wikepedia is ranked high because wikepedia contents are well written and are reliable. However, you can beat wikepedia if you can produce informative article on the topic. For example, I cannot find a good article on a tribe called Tamang in Wikepedia. If I write a good article on Tamang,I will surely beat that wikepedia article.
Wikipedia provides high quality contents and it updates them regularly with the latest information. Because of this, it has become a recognized brand of the people. But as mentioned by you they do not have good articles on certain topics and if we can write a good article on that, certainly we can come to the top.

Top Bottom