• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Why there is not a dislike button in Facebook?

Have you ever felt that a particular topic posted on Facebook is just an unpleasant one and you are in total disagreement with the idea. First of all you would be thinking of a dislike button before commenting on that topic. But as you know there is no dislike option available in Facebook, what we can do is only like it or put our comments.

I am just curious to know would it be a good idea to incorporate a dislike button in Facebook? Is it anyway going to affect its popularity - positively or negatively? Why I am discussing about this topic is the news that Facebook is soon going to launch a dislike button!

Rubie

Everyone has a freedom to express their opinion but not all opinion are acceptable. Facebook let us share, express our thoughts, but sometimes we don't consider the possibility of what other people felt. There are some who post intentionally because they hate a certain person and there are also some who just post and didn't think of the possible effect to others. In posting, we might consider respect and responsibility in order not to hurt other.

I agree with the opinion on putting a dislike button on Facebook. Not all posted on my newsfeed are likeable and sometimes I unintentionally seen some disturbing photos which I really disliked. Maybe if there is a dislike button, those posts which collects more dislike will be monitored and warned. If this becomes possible then it may become an advantage.

It seems like since day one, people have been asking for a dislike button on Facebook, the only surprise is that it's taken them this long to actually listen to people and have only now started to work on putting one on there.

While I also see posts, comments, videos and pictures on Facebook that I don't like, I'm not sure I'd actually use the dislike button to tell somebody I didn't like what I'd seen. Is it not better to just do what we do now and ignore and scroll past it?

V

vinaya

Sometime back I heard that facebook will be installing dislike feature soon. However, so far we only have three options, like it, comment it, or leave it. As far as I am concerned, I don't want dislike button on facebook. Facebook is a place for social connection and good vibes and not a place to spread hate messages. I believe if there was a dislike button, there will be a lot of negativity on facebook. Off course there are instances when I dislike the opinion expressed on facebook or photo/video shared on facebook. If I dislike the post, I already have an option to say in the comment section, or just leave it unattended.

I'm not opposed to there being a dislike button on there, that's clearly what people want so put one on, I just don't think I'd go to the effort of using it.

Even without it, like you say vinaya you have the option of commenting and it can sometimes turn in to a heated debate, I just think a dislike button would fan the flames and you'd end up in even more arguments.

I really like to see a dislike button there as I don't want to comment on each and every post. However, likes and dislikes are not genuine nowadays when everything is possible by paying some money. There are a lot of sites that offer "like" services. There is high manipulation going on.

I particularly hate some extremely false information on Facebook which are often posted by unscrupulous political leaders. If I got an option to dislike it, I would definitely do that. However, it is heard that Facebook is starting this feature on a trial basis and they may discontinue it after sometime if the feedback is not so inspiring.

Like I said before, while I'm not opposed to a dislike button I probably would rarely use it, and carry on doing what I do now if I don't like something, just ignore it and carry on scrolling.

As you say, the 'like' button is abused so I don't think there's any reason not to think that the 'dislike' button won't be also.

The simple reason is because they choose not to provide one!

On the other hand, I think that such a button can be misused easily. Think of a brand where a rival purchases the "dislikes" just to through them out of business... this is just a wage example but you know crowd is more evil than intelligent.

When a dislike button gets put on there it's definitely going to get some abuse, even if in the beginning it's just because of the novelty aspect of it. After time people will only use it as and when they see fit, but I still think it might cause problems, and I can see a few arguments on the horizon.

jkbos2

I heard about the dislike button coming out. I don't know if this will cause more controversy or not. If you post something about your spiritual beliefs or something and one of your friends dislikes it, you will be madder then if they say something. If a person post about a death in there family and you show sympathy by hitting the dislike button they make take it the wrong way. It's usually better to explain why you don't like something than to just hit a dislike button. This is my opinion, it may be a good idea for some people tho.

I guess in a way there's been a 'like' button on there for a number of years so I guess it a only fair to put a 'dislike' button on there also.

I still don't think I'll be using it though, and if I don't like something then I won't be wasting my time on pressing the dislike button just like now when I don't bother to comment on a status I don't like either.

Anuj Dhawan;n297 wrote: The simple reason is because they choose not provide one!

On the other hand, I think that such a button can be misused easily. Think of a brand where a rival purchases the "dislikes" just to through them out of business... this is just a wage example but you know crowd is more evil than intelligent.
I think you got a valid point there and it is actually happening.

But I don't think that should be taken as a reason to put off the idea of a dislike button. in that case there should not be a "like" button too. People are taking advantage of this tool. I know a few unscrupulous politicians who hire people to like their posts and if there is dislike button opposition parties will hire somebody else to dislike all those posts..ha....ha.

In short, there can be people who will use technology for their selfish and bad intentions. But that should not be a hindrance to new ideas being implemented.

Unfortunately any idea is going to be open for abuse, that's just the way people are, well, some people anyway.

You get trolls that comment on posts just to start an argument and get a reaction by saying something controversial in a post, people who like statuses just to get attention and so with the dislike button your only going to get the same misuse.

Even though a dislike button will be abused, I also think that sites can't stop coming up with new ideas just because of the negative reaction it may get.

serbog

They are actually making one. Mark Zuckerberg (the founder of Facebook) said that they are working on a dislike button. But I think that they will abuse the dislike button, but I would also love to have a dislike button.

techseeker

serbog;n573 wrote: They are actually making one. Mark Zuckerberg (the founder of Facebook) said that they are working on a dislike button. But I think that they will abuse the dislike button, but I would also love to have a dislike button.
Yes, they are in the process of designing something like a dislike button. But it will not be exactly a dislike button but a more friendly version of it.

I agree with your point that as soon as they launch the button it will be misused by members. Even "likes" are being sold and bought by paying money. I know some people who hire people to like and comment on their posts. Same thing can happen in the case of dislike button also. Ultimately this will reduce the overall value of the site when there is no organic traffic. I am anxiously waiting for this to happen and see its after effects. Let's hope for the best.

nytegeek

An actual up/down vote of posts on Facebook would likely be counterproductive. I tend to agree with Mark Zuckerberg's take on how the new feature should actually function. You can find a full quote of what he had to say about the upcoming feature at Snopes. It is more about giving people a way to show empathy for a negative situation without having to click like on a post about a tragedy or some awful event.

I heard recently that Facebook is planning to incorporate dislike button. However, the plan didn't come to fruition yet.

I agree that there are lots of posts on Facebook that are dislikeable. I just ignore them because I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. I have the prerogative to block a user though.

If the dislike button works the same way as the like button, your name will show up as one of the people who disliked it. I honestly don't think it will be overly abused because it's not anonymous. Also, since so many people argue about annoying news feeds on their wall, they now have an opportunity to show the people who are posting anything about everything that they do not appreciate it. I am not for hostility on facebook and personally if I think something is annoying I will just scroll over it and not give it much attention, however it really bothers some people.

W

waqsi

That's a good question and I think there should be a dislike button on Facebook too. But as of now, if you don't like a post, you should simply avoid that post and move on. I mean that's all you can do. :D However the good news is, facebook is already working to introduce a 'Dislike' button to share your opinion. It will be introduced very soon as Facebook is already working on it.

If you do not like a particular post, you can either avoid it or put a comment expressing your discontent on the said topic. But that is very time consuming I think. If a dislike button is there, you can just show your disagreement simply by clicking on it. I think Facebook is now postponed their decision because of its negative impact on the members and the possibility of a misuse of dislike button. I feel like that as there is no more news on the said button anywhere.

However, the prime objective of Facebook would be to keep the business growing and if they find a dislike button could hamper it they will just avoid it.

Top Bottom