• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Which languages do you use to make a website?

Hugop

When I make a website, I use every time HTML5 and CSS. Sometimes I use php for a database or JS for effects. There are times I use Python and Ruby too.

Which languages do you use to make a website?

I never built a website and prefer to use ready-made templates. A pre-built template can save you a lot of time and effort. But yes, if you want a unique, personalized website, it is better to build one.

I think the language you use should be based on the content of the website. For example for a simple game you would need only javascript or flash. HTML is the standard way of presenting data in a web browser. Almost all websites use it and you can style it with CSS. CSS will also help you escape from a lot of repeated tasks in building a website. There are many options available based on the content you are looking for like Javascript, PHP, ASP NET etc. You have to choose the best one based on your website requirement.

Rubie

If I were to create my website, I probably use PHP, because it is the programming language that I've been familiar with. Although i am thinking of self-studying Python since its the known Web Developing Programming language at the moment. But I am not sure If I could learn it that easy.

I am still in the a planning stage of making my site because I don't have resources and requirements in building a website yet. I am also in the process of refreshing my knowledge and learnings in PHP, because its been a while since I last studied about it. But still I am very much excited to design and program my website to ensure its uniqueness.

I am good with HTMl but certainly not CSS.
I do know hot to use CSS, but I can't do any miracles with CSS, like other web designers. Well, if possible I would use, HTML, css, JS to deign a website.

As I am using a forum now, I will learn PHP at some point. So, I might use that too :D

gagywii

You're mainly using static languages like HTML, and sometimes CSS and JavaScripT in the client side. On the server side, you use dynamic languages like PHP and databases like MySQL. But for basic websites (portfolios, web showcases...) you can just use the first three.

Well, uh, JavaScript is a dynamical language, not really static. Also, there's compiled languages that compiles into JavaScript, so meanwhile it ends up in the same language for the client, you may use another language and this changes the way you maintain your website.

About HTML & CSS, without it you can't even build a little website. No, ASCII art is not counted as a website design :p Honestly, if you don't know these two languages, you can't make a website, except if you count as "making a website" as putting parts together, choosing a template, and putting the content. Sure, what matters is the content, just programatically, you are not "building your website".

Rubie;n248 wrote: If I were to create my website, I probably use PHP, because it is the programming language that I've been familiar with. Although i am thinking of self-studying Python since its the known Web Developing Programming language at the moment. But I am not sure If I could learn it that easy.

I am still in the a planning stage of making my site because I don't have resources and requirements in building a website yet. I am also in the process of refreshing my knowledge and learnings in PHP, because its been a while since I last studied about it. But still I am very much excited to design and program my website to ensure its uniqueness.
I never really heard about Python being the language for the web. I saw new languages getting industry-backed about doing web back-end development, but I think the Python era is now a thing more of the past and the focus moved on.

The most common are all that's been mentioned already, HTML, CSS and PHP and I also have to admit that when it comes to Java and Flash, I'm with nytegeek on this one and I would urge less and less people to incorporate these into their sites, as they are simply a nightmare to run.

In the era they get less supported, indeed, Flash & Java should not be much used.
But for the web languages, you will notice it, not a lot of people does surprising choices here. The usual HTML/CSS/JS/PHP seems here to stay, but it exists other solutions, just it doesn't get massive attention as might give these 4 languages.

Anyway, it feels like something that feeds itself: there's less resources on other languages because templates and addons use the same language, and then you don't want to develop on other languages because of the very same reason. Someone would have to start to make it work.

nytegeek

I made my choices for standards compliance. Resources and templates help, but it wasn't a driving factor. I can code in a simple text editor with my choices if need be.

kibria97

HTML & CSS, without it you can't even build a little website. No, ASCII art is not counted as a website design
Honestly, if you don't know these two languages, you can't make a website, except if you count as "making a website" as putting parts together, choosing a template, and putting the content. Sure, what matters is the content, just programatically, you are not "building your website

Top Bottom