• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Which is better between a free hosted blog and a shared revenue site?

to me, a blog is platform for communication; most people will argue that starting a your own free hosted blog from scratch is the way to go as it promises freedom but i believe in being focused on what i do best; by starting a blog on a revenue sharing site i relieve myself of all other blog management activities and concentrate on the most part, the content. that is my true feeling, what do you think?

I think if you have all the confidence and got that talent, starting your own blog is a better option. But you need to spend time on marking your output and at the same time focus on quality content. Yes, as you already said, you can enjoy great freedom there and you can use all your creativity and innovation at work. You can also earn directly from ad services like Google adsense.

But in a shared revenue platform, the main issue is lack of transparency in pay structure. You have no way to calculate their actual income and how much percentage actually you are getting. Most of these sites pay only very low rates and spending time in such sites is a waste of time and energy.

V

vinaya

When I was still new to online writing, I came to know about free blogs. At that time, I was already writing for newspaper and had hundreds of published articles. I created a free hosted blog on blogspot and published newspaper articles. The idea behind republishing my newspaper articles on my blog was to help someone discover my newspaper articles. As I devoted my time on online writing, I began writing publishing on shared revenue sites like Helium (now defunct), HubPages and Squidoo (merged with Hubpages). Later, I was told that a blog would do justice to an online writer. I created a free blog on wordpress. However, after some time I found that finding readers (traffic) to my blog was more difficult than getting traffic to my contents published on shared revenue sites.
If you are new to online writing, I suggest you to publish your works on residual income sites and if you have doing this for sometime you can create your own blog/website and continue publishing online.

vinaya;n158 wrote: When I was still new to online writing, I came to know about free blogs. At that time, I was already writing for newspaper and had hundreds of published articles. I created a free hosted blog on blogspot and published newspaper articles. The idea behind republishing my newspaper articles on my blog was to help someone discover my newspaper articles. As I devoted my time on online writing, I began writing publishing on shared revenue sites like Helium (now defunct), HubPages and Squidoo (merged with Hubpages). Later, I was told that a blog would do justice to an online writer. I created a free blog on wordpress. However, after some time I found that finding readers (traffic) to my blog was more difficult than getting traffic to my contents published on shared revenue sites.
If you are new to online writing, I suggest you to publish your works on residual income sites and if you have doing this for sometime you can create your own blog/website and continue publishing online.
It was really nice to go through your experience. I am also very passionate about article writing, but not so experienced.

So, in your view using an established platform like Hubpages is better. I think in Hubpages they have a pay per view program too. But I am quite skeptical about this due to lack of transparency and the pay rate is really low. May be because I am a new comer in the field. How do we come to know how many actual views we got for a particular article. So,considering the very low pay rates, I would prefer starting my own blog if I am a talented writer. Anyway, as you already mentioned I need to work hard to market it.

thanks vinaya for sharing your story here, it's very encouraging. i also started a free blog at wordpress but i had no success, then i started another at a revenue share site called by blogjob and my posts are receiving great ranking at google search pages.

Top Bottom