• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

When to get a vps

J Greig

When is the best time to order and upgrade to a VPS? With many hosting companies offering 'unlimited' or 'unmetered' disk space and bandwidth, when would be a good time to upgrade? If you have everything you need on a shared hosting plan and they give you 'unlimited' resources as they say, would you even need to upgrade?

What would the advantages be?

Shared hosting is economical compared to VPS or dedicated hosting, shared hosting offers some great features at a reduced cost.If your website is bringing in more web traffic, it might be time to consider upgrading your web hosting account to a Virtual Private Server rather than continue your service using shared web hosting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin

I guess it really depends on who you talk to. A lot of experienced bloggers always say they wish they would have gone the VPS route first. The time to upgrade is when you start outgrowing your shared hosting. If you have the traffic and money coming in from your site then it's time. Once you upgrade you will notice that your website performs better.

fabio

There are many things that can't be hosted in a shared hosting servers, like Discourse or NodeBB forums. You could even mine bitcoins in a VPS (don't do it, you'll make less than you pay for the VPS). People use it for having more control on their servers. Everything else being equal, I would choose a VPS.

Shared hosting is economical compared to VPS or dedicated hosting, shared hosting offers some great features at a reduced cost.If your website is bringing in more web traffic, it might be time to consider upgrading your web hosting account to a Virtual Private Server rather than continue your service using shared web hosting.
I don't if the webhosting of my blog site is shared one. I took GoDaddy to host my blog site. Is GoDaddy a shared hosting? I have been using GoDaddy for almost 5 years no.

If you are considering cost then Shared Hosting may be fine. Just as you mentioned if there are unlimited resources with all facilities needed in a shared hosting, then there probably won't be need to upgrade to a VPS in the meantime especially when you aren't comfortable with the cost.

hubkamll

I don't think that you need a VPS for a newly launched site or forum. You need it only when your site starts to receive more traffic. There is no point in buying a VPS for a site that receive less traffic. VPS costs much higher than a shared server. I have also implemented VPS servers for my site that receive a decent traffic.

paul

VPS hosting is an intermediate solution between shared hosting and dedicated server, where-in the actual hardware server is virtually partitioned into multiple isolated virtual servers. MilesWeb VPS is an ideal solution for those seeking a robust service, faster page loads and stability at a fair price.

Understand, whether current servers are able to handle coming traffic to website or not. If not, you need to move to VPS hosting.

Know more at, https://www.milesweb.com/vps-hosting.php

Shared hosting providers say its unlimited disk space and bandwidth. But what they don't tell you is there is an APU! (acceptable usage policy) And they never list those terns and that is because they use that clause to boot high usage clients. They also don't tell you that 1 CPU usually means 1 full CPU for 60 seconds and they limit your website!

You will know when its time to move to a VPS because your website will start to slow down and you will start to get errors. Which means your using too many resources so they are limiting your website. But you can avoid all of that by looking in cpanel and looking at resource limits. They will start to limit your account well before you start getting errors. I would say any more than 2 account limits in a week is time to move to a VPS.

Last edited:

kumkum

If you want to host a large website in which you need lot of web space and also there is lots of traffic on your website. Then you need your own VPS server because dedicated server has limited resources. But if you want to host a website which need normal resources then you can go with shared hosting plans.

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
VPS Hosting is advanced hosting than shared web hosting. If you think you are getting more and more visitors and you need your own web space for better performance and security then YES, upgrade to VPS Hosting.

Top Bottom