• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What type of domain names would you choose?

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to know what type of domain names would you choose?
1. Generic Domains: .com, .net, .org, .info
Geographic Domains: .in, .uk, .us, .eu
Niche Domains: .news, .photo, .tv, .club

Rubie

I think selection of domain name suffixes depends on the type of the website. If I were to choose, Generic domain best suit my Blog site, specifically, dot-com which is commonly used.

Our office website is on the dot org but it used to be in dot org dot ph domain. For commercial websites, it is suggested to buy a domain in dot com. There are sites that uses only dot ph to mean Philippines and there are sites that use dot org dot ph, I don't know what the difference is. Nevertheless, choosing a domain name should be appropriate for the site you are creating.

i agree, choosing a domain extension is dependent on the type of site in question. for instance, i putting together a website that is specific to my kenyan audience which i intend to use a .ke. for my international blog site i use .com.

Choosing a domain may affect what type of audiences you will have, either positive or negative.

If I am going to choose Geographic domains, target audience will likely be those my own country. Some from other countries might be a regular viewer of my blog site, nevertheless, those in my own country would be my primary audience.

With niche domains, there's a certain type of articles that should be written or posted there. If my domain was news, my blogs should be about news or current events. I cannot post about my lovelife, my favorites, etc. However, it can attract people looking for current issues.

The reason why I put generic domains lastly because this is the domain I am currently using on my blog site. I can write anything on my site. I can write about my own country, a certain news or something about me. Guess what, I already had more than a thousand viewers in less than a month of existence.

If I ever make a site, it would be educational. Though, the purpose of the site would be to provide some study based information, but there will be some business interest depicted in it. Primarily, I have decided to have an ‘edu’ extension, but it could be a dot com also. There is an eligibility criterion in taking an 'edu' extension though. Dot com is always a safe bet for any domain name.

We can use generic name for all kinds of websites, therefore, if we are registering a website for business, we don't have to name it .biz, .com will do. However, using niche domain or geographic domain would help during the marketing. For example, if the domain we are using for xyz TV channel, company is .tv, it is more easier to attract specific visitors compared to when using .com.

jb23k

I think the generic ones work just fine. As long as your domain name isn't so common that it won't rank high in the search engines you should be okay. I would make sure that the domain name I choose is relevant to my site or blog of course. Keeping it simple can be effective.

Generic, there just something about .com maybe because it is longer, but there is never a doubt when you say you have a website and when you say .com it just sounds very believable.

John129

I would prefer .com if the website is anything where I want to build a good traffic because domain names can influence in traffic. The second option will be .net. On the other hand, if the website is about anything about which I am passionate, I won't spend much amount in buying a popular domain. For eg, the domain name of the website where I provide my android development projects is .xyz because first of all it is a hobby and also almost all the traffic to the website is redirected from a forum.

Teg

Personally, I'm a com girl. If that's taken, I'll move onto a net. Generally, those are the only two that I will use. Now, if I have a project that's used for an organization, charity, or something similar to either of those two things, I'll register an org.

[I was going to use actual period marks before the words, but it wouldn't let me.]

ray

As I said I am looking for a domain in a near future and my first choice in .com. I would certainly avoid topic specific (niche domain) as such domains would bring lesser traffic. I would personally avoid .net even if I get it at a cheaper rate.

I would chose generic since it's the most recognized. People would surely memorize them more than the others since they are the most common and what people are actually used to seeing.

tony

If I am choosing a domain name for my business generally I would go for a generic domain name like .com, or .org, , If on the other hand I just want to capture a specific business for example news and entertainment or sports then I could chose a niche domain like .news.

Teapot

Generic domain names are usually the route that I take. However, the niche domain names are really unique and I think they could really come in handy.

Even I would prefer the domain extensions from first line. Of course they are famous, and so far I have gone for them only. I don't know about future, but I have never thought about other extensions so far.

Top Bottom