• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What is the difference between free and paid web hosted blog?

I just created a free wordpress blog. Although I am new to blogging I have read that a paid hosting blog is better than a free one. What I don’t understand is the difference. I want to invest time and money in this blog and I would appreciate some help.

Uniqueness (you're choose of a domain name)
Reliability
Search Engine Rankings
Bandwidth and Storage
Support and Assistance

Those are the five main reasons you should invest into paid web hosting, rather than having a no provide able free web hosting.

Bilby

For a different point of view.

I know you can have you own domain on free Blogger, I strongly suspect you can have one on free Wordpress.

The reliability depends on the host. It can be higher or it can be lower. Wordpress has an extremely good record for uptime -- I doubt you could get much better.

Search engines do not discriminate between free and self-hosted Wordpress blogs.

Bandwidth and storage -- I do not see how this is an issue for either option.

Wordpress support is automated and essentially the same for both options. But if it is self-hosted Wordpress staff have not access to your blog. Down side, no direct help. Upside, no third party down time secondary to a DMCA or adult content complaint.

The main different is that for the paid option you have to pay. For the visitor to the blog they are essentially the same.

sbatz1972

I think the difference between free and paid blog hosting is the fact that you get a lot of adverts on your blog that you do not get paid for. I am saying in reference to the free blog hosting sites. You will have to contend with the adverts on your site and not get paid for them. In reference to the fact that you should or should not pay for blog hosting, I would definitely pay.
First of all you get a lot more selections as far as the type of web pages you have and the options for the content you put on the blog site. Finally, you get paid fort the adverts that go on your site. Is this not the purpose of blogging after all.

Bilby

We are talking about Wordpress here. There is not advertising per se on free Wordpress blog or indeed any of the major free blog websites. There will be a small text link that some templates actual delete. But my attitude is that you should not hack out that one small text link which earns no actual cash. It just gives a way for other people to discover the host you are using at no cost.

Uniqueness (you're choose of a domain name)
Reliability
Search Engine Rankings
Bandwidth and Storage
Support and Assistance

Those are the five main reasons you should invest into paid web hosting, rather than having a no provide able free web hosting.

thanks @ Elisa, do you mean with a free wordpress blog I will get low Google rankings? Do webhosting companies help you with SEO or how does that work?

Bilby

Google does not discriminate against free versus self hosted Wordpress blogs. They just don't. What matters to them is what effects the viewer of the blog and where it is hosted is not o e of these things. The Worpress domains are not penalized and count the same as own domain/own host. Content mills like Wizzley or Infobarrel are dinged, free blog hosts like Wordpress and Blogger are not.

I have been considering a blog for months now. It feels so intimidating especially for someone like me who's a newbie in the true sense of the word. I am considering getting on board with a ready made Wordpress blog for $1 per month. I feel sure it does not provide hosting. but I feel good getting some sort of help. I look forward to getting some insights on free and paid hosting. There is never too much information, but sometimes it gets very overwhelming.

WordPress is a publishing platform that makes it easy for anyone to publish online. WordPress comes in two flavors - one, the fully hosted WordPress.com; second, self-hosted version available at WordPress.org.

Now the glitch is that when you host your own WordPress site it requires some technical knowledge. It also puts more responsibility on you from technical per se, you're publisher anyways. You can download the WordPress software for free at http://wordpress.org, but it must be installed on a web server before it will work. If you do not understand the previous statement - suggest you start with a free one and move on to thee paid one, gradually. Once you move on to the paid one you'll know that many hosting providers offer a one-click installation of WordPress but that is something you'll have confirm with your host.

Just my $.02...

Too often I see things online that suggest it's easy pickings for anyone to get started but I don't find these claims to be always true. I have found that newbie means different things to different people and it's something I would like to address in a very big way perhaps in a blog one day. I want to represent people like me who are "genuine newbies" who literally need someone to take us by the hand and walk us through the steps that come so easily for the other newbies (don't want to say fake newbies) who have some technical know how that needs further developing.

Again I am saying thanks for those links Anuj Dhawan. They are very useful.

Last edited:

MarcS

Free blog always comes with certain limitations. While you create blog at free blogging platform such as blogger, wordpress, blogspot, you get a sub domain, not your own. You may not have full control over your blog and you may not be able to customize it. You cannot use your own domain name or premium themes you wish to install. You will have limited diskspace and you might see adds in your free blog. If you need fully featured blog, you should consider self hosted WordPress blog.

Bilby

I actually found the opposite. Blogger has excellent uptime--many paid hosts have small and less well maintained server space and are actually down much more often. Blogger and Wordpress both have an excellent uptime record. Compared to the lower cost end of the paid market, they will win everytime.

Many of these reasons people give for not using free blogs are frankly obsolete and no longer apply. I would rate wordpress and blogger superior to self hosting on ALL of the criteria of Reliability, Search Engine Rankings, Bandwidth and Storage and Support and Assistance--and equal for Name Uniqueness although not name simplicity as it will be a subdomain.

MarcS

Certainly your own domain name is important while you start blogging . Subdomain name with blogging platform appear less professional than self-hosted ones. Additionally, you will have less control over your blog. Self-hosted blogs can install premium themes, download plugins to expand their website capabilities. A free WordPress blog do not allow this, limiting you to only a few options. You may have limited amount of bandwidth and disk space.

There is this single biggest advantage of free website hosting and that is- it comes free without any cost. On the other hand, paid web hosting services not only give technical support to the customers but they also provide them with help guides, tutorials etc.

The difference between free and paid web hosting services are given below:
Advertisements on your website are controlled by the web hosting company that provides you with the free web hosting.
Customer support is missing for free website hosting.
Low bandwidth and lesser data transfer capacity makes free website hosting vulnerable to greater downtime .

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom