• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What is the advantage/disadvantage of a domain for my blog?

tomstrong

I have a blog which I have been trying to develop. Actually, I have two similar blogs, not free blogs. I have been slowly seeing the main one grow. It is on blogspot.

I don't know enough to understand the advantages/disadvantages of having a unique domain instead of a well known one. Can I get some input?

I think a domain name can give a personal touch to your site and it is very essential to popularize your site. A short memorable domain name can go a long way in attracting more traffic to your site and having a successful web presence save you getting lost in cyber space. Moreover, a unique domain name shows how serious you are in the business and usually people tend to visit site with unique names. They think if you are not ready to invest money into business, you are not going to create valuable products or services for them. It can also used as a tool to build up your brand image.

So, a unique, attractive domain name is very important in getting good traffic and overall growth of your business.

Last edited:
A unique domain is fundamental to a blog, particularly due to the competition on web. A unique name helps mark your territory. Furthermore it is for readers to remember in case they need to come back.

tomstrong

I suppose I should rephrase my question. It seems that a known domain name that is associated with blogs and helps promote the blogs associated with it might offer advantages over unigue, one of a kind domains. How does a unique domain help a person with talent, creativity, and no money? Doesn't Google favor the blogs it sponsors?

Google is always supportive of its product. Blogger is a Google's product and it index blogger blogs high compared to other free blogs. You can monetize with adsense, Amazon and many other affiliate partners. Blogger is interface is very unique. The only drawback of blogger is the possibility of closing down. Google bought blogger from other company and what if Google decides to shut it down.

PlayBall

Having your own domain makes your blog/site/forum look more professional. You can be really creative with your domain as well to make it match your niche of your blog/site/forum. There are endless options to choose a name. It's also better to have more then one domain for your site as it drives even more traffic to your site.

Binu

Are you sure you are talking about domain and not subdomain? If you have a blog on blogspot, it is a subdomain blog. Most of the free bloggin platforms give you subdomains for instance you will have subdomains on weebly, wordpress, webs,wix etc. If you want to have a domain, you will have to register your domain name with a domain registrar.

Top Bottom