• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What is cloud hosting?

Sharon

Here is an informative video that explains cloud hosting in plain English for those that want to understand it better. One of the advantages to cloud hosting is that you're not relying on one single piece of equipment to store your information - if a server "breaks" or goes offline you have other resources to use and so your website/service can continue without interruption. Check out the video for more information:

If you have more time to spend here is an even more detailed video that goes more into depth on what it is about:

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
The information you provided for cloud hosting is really good and it explains everything about cloud hosting. Thanks for sharing.

Nice, informative topic with cool videos. Thanks for posting it, I know a lot about cloud hosting now, I gained a lot of new knowledge.

Tal

Thanks for the posting, I have a question. What is the most recommended cloud hosting? Which company?

I have for a while been hearing about cloud this and cloud that. Quite recently a rep trying to get me to change internet providers for my business was going on about what would be stored in the clouds. He went on and on and at the end of it I had no clue what he was saying.

Thanks for the videos. I think I have a better understanding. I would be lying if I said I understood everything but at least I have something to refer to. I just heard him speak about dumb terminals. I just heard dumb and immediately thought he was referring to me:).

Thanks for the videos. I think I have a better understanding. I would be lying if I said I understood everything but at least I have something to refer to. I just heard him speak about dumb terminals. I just heard dumb and immediately thought he was referring to me:).
LOL - sometimes these reps get in to too much of details that they loose the actual context! Bravo, you survived it all! :)

OTOH, a dumb terminal is a computer terminal that consists mostly of just a display monitor and a keyboard or a mouse possibly. It has no internal CPU and thus has little or no processing power (that's why it's called dumb). Likewise, there is no hard disk drive (HDD).

For computer professionals "cloud" had been in use for long but it has picked up recently. "Cloud Hosting", "Cloud Web Hosting", "Cloud Backups" all are distant relatives of "cloud computing" - if one understand the "Cloud Computing" chances are s/he can draw the inference pretty well...IMHO.

Thank you Anuj Dhawan, for simplifying things for me. Still I am going to be the first to tell you that I have to go over this a few times well before I can present it to anyone with full conviction and understanding. Nevertheless, I have to say you did an excellent job breaking things down for me. Sometimes I beat myself up for not being able to understand these things that seem so 'high, way up in the clouds' and then I meet someone who's struggling like me to understand it all. One day I will start a blog for 'smart dummies' like me who take a while to fully understand these things.

After the rep was through presenting his info, clouds included, all I could tell him is that he needs to speak to my husband who would better understand and deal with those matters. Maybe I can speak for myself now I have a better understanding of cloud computing.

Thank you Anuj Dhawan, for simplifying things for me. Still I am going to be the first to tell you that I have to go over this a few times well before I can present it to anyone with full conviction and understanding. Nevertheless, I have to say you did an excellent job breaking things down for me. Sometimes I beat myself up for not being able to understand these things that seem so 'high, way up in the clouds' and then I meet someone who's struggling like me to understand it all. One day I will start a blog for 'smart dummies' like me who take a while to fully understand these things.

After the rep was through presenting his info, clouds included, all I could tell him is that he needs to speak to my husband who would better understand and deal with those matters. Maybe I can speak for myself now I have a better understanding of cloud computing.
You're welcome! :)

If you've any further question - please ask away, someone will be around with a helping note.

Regards,

rightct

Great information! I find it good that I finally learnt what Cloud Hosting is because I've been interested into hosting my recently-developed Android app on a trustworthy platform, and I see that this kind of hosting is really what I need for my business. Though I still have a question for you if you can answer it. What company do you find reliable? I've been interested into going with Google's Cloud Services, but just like whatever implies Google, I'm very reluctant since they could put me down for any reason. I'm already afraid to publish my app on the Play Store because they're so stiff and sheer about DMCA complaints that even if you have a logo that doesn't pertain to you, you might get put down easily.

Yeah, so anyway... what do you guys suggest? I've got my eyes on Linode, but thus far their reviews aren't really great so I just want to do more research before investing my money with someone.

Thanks in advance, guys!
Rightct.

Awesome information. My only worry about Cloud is that it is accessible via internet which means it is open to hackers. If you are storing sensitive information such as payment systems, accounts, etc.... it is open to attack. Of course there are security systems that in place to protect that information, but it is still a big risk.

Actually whenever you are doing something (read it as related to money) online - you are under threat. In fact, if you use Internet Banking, well, you are using internet, so that is also open to hackers.

There are different types of clouds, for example, private, public and hybrid. They are bound with different level of security services. Among other, cloud computing security issues include preserving confidentiality and privacy of data. The primary solutions for these problems include encryption or tokenization of data stored in the cloud. Day by day new solutions are emerging to improve upon the cloud security and protecting sensitive data and important applications.

Said all that, the point I'm trying to make is - if you are using internet for any type of financial transaction, there is a chance of threat and security is required - whether or not, you're using a cloud.

Last edited:
Cloud hosting is good and it is recommended for almost everyone, as it is cheap and reliable.
But my forum gets, lots of traffic and I have even encountered a 503 service unavailable issue thanks to this traffic. Still, as I am in a shared hosting plan(with highest amount of resources-grade 3), I am not charged for all that excess traffic. But if it is cloud hosting, then I might provide service to all users without any issues. But regarding this traffic, hardly any new users register in my forum.

So, personally I don't think cloud hosting is good for me at this point. Still great information, sharon :D

Thanks for this very educational video on cloud hosting. It was very useful to update me. I think most of the big companies like Google and Apple send their customer data on could servers only. They are somewhat reliable as it uses a network of computers and in case any of them is down, others will take care of it. It is a new technology and more & more companies are switching over to cloud servers. But I think for a more sensitive and explosive data a dedicated server will be suitable.

With cloud hosting the network of servers that are used is vast and often pulled from different data centers in different locations.Cloud hosting is based on the most innovative Cloud computing technologies connected servers that comprise a cloud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom