• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What is a domain name?

A domain name is a unique identity of a particular field registered on the World Wide Web gateway. It is like a physical interpretation of an IP address, which is recognized by the internet.

A domain name can give us an idea of the content of a particular website. The domain name is that part of an URL, which helps to provide the numeric code of the IP address to the internet. Domain names are mostly used for human recognition.

When I was conducting computer literacy workshops for adults, I would explain the internet in parallel to television. That a website is like a tv channel. That said, the students would shed off their fear of the internet. And I didn't use terms such as URL or even the http. The website address that I taught them to use was the www to lessen confusion. So that domain name is the website address, that one they did not know for I always avoid to complicate matters for my students.

owen027

Domain names are used to find one or more IP addresses. For example, the domain name microsoft.com represents about a dozen IP addresses. Domain names are used in URLs to find particular Web pages. A domain name is an identification string that defines a realm of administrative autonomy, authority or control within the Internet. Labels in the Domain Name System are case-insensitive, and may therefore be written in any desired capitalization method, but most commonly domain names are written in lowercase in technical contexts.

Top Bottom