• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What do you think of owning a complete set?

Even though we purchase most of the domain names of different extensions, sometimes we do miss out some other domains like country specific domains and such. For example, .com and .net are popular but other domains like .in,.co,.us...whatnot aren't that popular.

So, we usually don't own the complete set. So, what do you guys think? Is it better to purchase the entire set, to keep the competitors at bay or is it better to just get the popular ones?

s it better to purchase the entire set, to keep the competitors at bay or is it better to just get the popular ones?
Competitors are usually not interested in gobbling up a .net or .org version of a .com. That whole idea is a marketing gimmick. Possibly it's a holdover from the days when people thought only .com, .net, or .org would rank well on Google.

Possibly the only real motive for grabbing other extensions is if your looking a premium domain for resell. For instance, the owner of JobsInManchester.com might want to grab JobsInManchester.net in order to make an even bigger profit.

To prove my point, it's easy to find premium domains, at least ones without an insane amount of value, and see the .net, .org, as well as the other extensions, besides the .com, available for registration.

Competitors are usually not interested in gobbling up a .net or .org version of a .com. That whole idea is a marketing gimmick. Possibly it's a holdover from the days when people thought only .com, .net, or .org would rank well on Google.

Possibly the only real motive for grabbing other extensions is if your looking a premium domain for resell. For instance, the owner of JobsInManchester.com might want to grab JobsInManchester.net in order to make an even bigger profit.

To prove my point, it's easy to find premium domains, at least ones without an insane amount of value, and see the .net, .org, as well as the other extensions, besides the .com, available for registration.
Yeah but the renewal costs are high these days. Well, I do think it would be great to get the set but....sometimes it's not possible.

See that is the current dilemma that I have. I currently own both the .com and .net versions of my domain name but I'm not sure whether I need to buy the other popular ones especially .co.uk since I am based in the United Kingdom. It's an easy decision from a business point of view, you don't want a rival or some random person buying another version of your domain especially a big one like .co.uk and trying to copy your site. The issue is that it is so expensive after the first year. Most sites will have special discounts for domains for the first year but the renewal fees and costs are just way too high.

GraceB

Waste of money buying them all. Just get .com and .net, and if you have actual country-specific operations then ccTLD's of those countries as well. Remember that most domains are $10-$20 a year, so even just 5 different domains can incur pretty hefty fees over the course of one year, so you need to consider how much profit can those domains actually bring you.

I have come across way too many websites, copying the exact same stuff of the original domain. Like if the original is a ".com" domain, then the competitor would go for ".net" or ".org" .

It's really hard to maintain too many domains but people should consider going for ".com" and ".net". These days, ".org" is also recommended as it has a good domain value too. I really wish, companies would offer low prices when people are purchasing an entire set though.

Top Bottom