• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What are your petpeeves in website designs?

As an internet surfers, I had encountered all kinds of websites under the sun. I had been using the internet since I was 12 years old and I just recently turned 30. That is like 18 years of internet surfing. I decided to share today my petpeeves to many websites I had visited.

1. Flash bombarded site- Dear Website owner, not everyone have a lightning fast internet connection. Putting a lot of Macromedia flash on our website either crashes my browser or loads your website for eternity.

2. Slide show articles - They were fun to read if you have superior internet connection but its a torture to load if your internet is slow.

3. Ads with self installing apps- this is the most annoying thing about browsing the internet with a mobile gadget, Those apps forcing to install their self and they were part of the ads of the site.

4. Awful color schemes.- Imagine a website where the everything is in neon colors an the text are blinking. Sites with such design can give seizures to an epileptic.

For me, what is annoying is anything that moves very slowly. It is all right if the flash is really as fast as the flash or if the video is quick and short. But there are designs that are called graphic-heavy that it takes a minute before the entire webpage is displayed. That's really annoying and if I happen to be surfing onlyl, definitely I would leave that site and mark it. With color, I sometimes get eye strain with too much kaleidoscopic design but that's my personal problem and I don't blame the designer.

For me, what is annoying is anything that moves very slowly. It is all right if the flash is really as fast as the flash or if the video is quick and short. But there are designs that are called graphic-heavy that it takes a minute before the entire webpage is displayed. That's really annoying and if I happen to be surfing onlyl, definitely I would leave that site and mark it. With color, I sometimes get eye strain with too much kaleidoscopic design but that's my personal problem and I don't blame the designer.
I have to agree with you on pretty much everything that you just said. The slowness in some websites are annoying as heck and I have no patience, so I leave them before they ever fully load

Its just not practical to make a flash heavy site because you will lose traffic from people with slow internet connection and the last time I check, they were the majority of internet users. Flash heavy sites looks pretty and cool but it is rsge inducing to endure a site that loads forever or crashes your browser. I also hate it when they embed it with an auto playing HD video. Those website owners should also realize that it is also frustrating to use for people who uses mobile devices. Majority of internet users now are not using a PC. I am currently using an android phone while I was typing this paragraph.

One petpeeve of mine when it comes to website design is the color scheme that compromises almost the rainbow colors. It's a pain in the eye, and the moment I step into a website like that I would most likely exit immediately. Another common petpeeve that I know most of you has encountered are clustered websites. Yes, my purpose in website is to look for information, but not in a manner that the home page is crammed with multi-level drop downs which I find annoying.

superlicca

For me is when a video starts to play when I open a website. I believe that a viewer should have an option to watch a video or not. A video should not be played automatically. This will just make me close the website instead of staying.

Another pet peeve of mine is a confusing navigation. Make the navigation bar stand out since it is important for a user to have a clear understanding of how to navigate your website.

amelia88

Let's see!
  • Things that take forever to load
  • Poorly laid out sections to find info (especially contact info)
  • Video that auto plays when you load the site
Those are probably my top three peeves! All of them annoy me in close to equal measure!

Erika1358

As an internet surfers, I had encountered all kinds of websites under the sun. I had been using the internet since I was 12 years old and I just recently turned 30. That is like 18 years of internet surfing. I decided to share today my petpeeves to many websites I had visited.

1. Flash bombarded site- Dear Website owner, not everyone have a lightning fast internet connection. Putting a lot of Macromedia flash on our website either crashes my browser or loads your website for eternity.

2. Slide show articles - They were fun to read if you have superior internet connection but its a torture to load if your internet is slow.

3. Ads with self installing apps- this is the most annoying thing about browsing the internet with a mobile gadget, Those apps forcing to install their self and they were part of the ads of the site.

4. Awful color schemes.- Imagine a website where the everything is in neon colors an the text are blinking. Sites with such design can give seizures to an epileptic.
Ugh, i can truly relate with how annoying slide shows are. If it's very important, and especially if there are limited results to your search query and most of them are all slideshows, it can be very frustrating because my internet connection is too slow!

And neon websites. Don't let me get started on those. It's annoying how they're so bright and flashing while viewing them in the middle of the night with no lights on. Web creators, designers, and developers should avoid these stuff.

axl2468

1. Poor navigation systems. I've went to a lot of websites where their navigation system is really bad to the point where I can't even find their contact details and I end up at pages that are defunct and are not used anymore (looking at you, GCash website).

2. Videos that auto-play. A lot of news websites do this, and it drives me nuts when I get surprised by loud sounds coming from the video.

3. Generally buggy websites. This one is an obvious one. Remember Me functions that don't even work, pages take forever to load, etc.

You were able to put it right. One of the most appalling petpeeve is a self installing app- they get into my nerves. Plus a colored website that it might be mistaken for a colored pencil. Slow internet connectivity making it even worst.

I am generally against PetPeeves. So here are my thoughts:

10 web design pet peeves to avoid on your site
  • Confusing navigation.
  • Overuse of pop-ups.
  • Websites that don't explain what they do.
  • Music or videos that start playing when you open a website.
  • Inconsistent spacing on elements and text.
  • Poor typography and lack of hierarchy.
  • Broken functionality.
  • Outdated content.
I hope this helps!

Top Bottom