• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Traffic from target audience

Since most forums are thematic, it is normal to have regular audience who are enthusiasts of your theme. But if your target audience is just a few (no matter how you promote) do you have any idea on how to infuse more traffic to your site? We had encountered that before (as I posted in another board) that the traffic was not improving. What we did was to add boards to our forum.

lludawg

If a niche has a very small audience, it will be hard for a forum to gain lots of traffic because there are just not many people interested in the subject. For these types of forums, you should focus on the longterm. There will always be new people becoming interested in your subject. I suggest combining your forum with a blog and get some quality articles written.

We have a blog connected to the forum that is in the main page of the website. The articles in there are updated every week. We noticed that when an article is interesting, the forum gets new members. All 4 articles in the main page have the note at the bottom that says your feedback can be posted in the forum (link indicated). Whereas before, when we take in any article, now we filter articles for publication because our website has a reputation to protect.

Forum and blog owners try their best to direct traffic to their sites, but it is a tough business to keep a spontaneous flow that gives a desired revenue.

First of all, the forum should be such that, it interests a large section of people. It is almost impossible to generate a healthy flow with a boring subject, which goes over the head of many.

Regular interaction is another key that works well.

Lastly, a good lure can bring a substantial chunk of fish to your net.

For a website that is more focused on a certain niche, it is difficult to get traffic from other than the targeted audience. For instance, if your website is about web hosting, you cannot attract people who are not interested in web hosting or do not know about this topic. In order to attract visitors, you should add more related topics, foe instance web hosting is also related to website marketing and internet advertising. You can incorporate related topics on your website to attract visitors.

deepa

If the forum is good enough, it will attract visitors. Advertising on local newspapers or online ads also help bring traffic. Interaction is the key to success on a forum. The more active participation there is, the more successful the forum will be.

jb23k

You have to be in a popular niche. You should try looking for targeted traffic on twitter. See if people are talking about things your forum is about and mention it too them that may help. Also tweeting about your forum using hashtags helps. Good luck.

I think @Vinaya is right on this. Instead of focusing on a single topic, it should have a broader approach with more related topics to discuss. At the same time it should not lose focus on the key subject. I have seen some successful forums even have a separate offline section which serves as a relaxation room for the members. It can also function as a spam buster in some cases.

You can also try joining other forums dealing with similar topics and take it as an opportunity to market your forum. Some of them even allow you to use a forum signature. It is quite effective to get targeted customers from other forums provided their TOS allows you to do that.

With regards to forum sites, it is fine if it is a niche but it would be good if there's off-topic section. However, there's a possibility that it would be abused. I mean, many writers will prefer that section. As I said, niche is fine, however, it is better that a forum site has different topics.

With blog sites, I created niche blogs which I have a target audience. I write mostly about mainstream music so it can surely attract numerous music fans.

Top Bottom