• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Teenagers as staff?

Do you think that hiring a teenager as a staff member on your site whether as an administrator or moderator is a good idea or do you tend to only hire adults as staff? Personally I think that the maturity of a person is more important as there can be some teenagers that are much better staff members than an adult can be. I think its important to see what skills the staff have as some teenagers may be able to offer more than someone much older than them.

I just shared the story of Ashley and I think I will share it again, When I was a teenager, I was member of a forum. One day the owner decided to hire mods. One of the mods he chose is a girl named Ashley. You wanna know what did this teenage girl did? She discovered mods can edit. She ends up abusing that power and uses it too make people fight. She makes the lives of the forum members extremely miserable. We hated her so such many of us abandoned the forum.

My office assistant is young because I prefer younger staff for our office website. My reason is those young people out there are abreast with the times particularly in fashion, music and some other things that are popular with the times. The older ones may not be aware of the current internet lingo or even sports like martial arts and wakeboarding. Besides, the teenagers are well versed in chatting and tweeting so they wouldn't be out of place in forums.

There is nothing wrong with hiring teens to help care for a site. If that teen shows maturity and responsibility.... why not. I have known quite a few teens that were mods or staff of sites and they did an excellent job. It was kind of funny to watch a 13 year old chastise a 60 year old for their behavior in a forum, but they did a great job and did it respectfully. I think it all depends on the teen that is doing the job.

There is nothing wrong with hiring teens to help care for a site. If that teen shows maturity and responsibility.... why not. I have known quite a few teens that were mods or staff of sites and they did an excellent job. It was kind of funny to watch a 13 year old chastise a 60 year old for their behavior in a forum, but they did a great job and did it respectfully. I think it all depends on the teen that is doing the job.
The 13 year old you talk about seemed to deserve to have the power and responsibility of being a staff of a forum. I wish more teens are like that. The world will be a better place if teens have the maturity and responsibility to know what is right or wrong,

The Ashley girl I talk about acts innocent ,sweet, responsible and polite when she became a member but the moment she is given the power of becoming a moderator, she became a nightmarish monster.

It makes me wonder what happened to that forum, most of us members transfered to a different forum because we really can't stand her. I don't remember the name of that forum anymore because it has been 11 years since I abandoned that forum. If the owner removed her power the moment she started abusing it, maybe members would have not made a major exodus. That forum use to be a very fun place. Sadly its all ruined by a single person given such power. I think that forum is now gone.

Sure why not? Show them that you have invested some trust in them and they won't disappoint you. Teenagers are not babies. A lot of grown ups think that they are. I don't see why. Of course you can't hire an immature person who plays around all the time, but if the teenager is mature and serious, then so be it. Give them the job

You just have to feel them out and if they fail, take away their privilege. If you don't then the problems they cause are on you. You have to be diligent. Not to mention, and adult can cause just as many problems as a teenager. You just have to find the right ones.

Sure why not? Show them that you have invested some trust in them and they won't disappoint you. Teenagers are not babies. A lot of grown ups think that they are. I don't see why. Of course you can't hire an immature person who plays around all the time, but if the teenager is mature and serious, then so be it. Give them the job
I agree, teenagers are not babies that need to be guided all the time. The young are so smart with technology and they also have developed that attitude of exploring and trying to learn by themselves. I remember when we launched our website in 2004, the staff were matured people who would always be by my side to ask questions. They couldn't work by themselves. After 2 years, we hired a teenager (on a temp basis) to handle a project and it was handled very smoothly.

Age does not matter as much as the ability of a person. Some people always like to use their age to claim that they have much more experience than their younger counterparts. But experience does not always equate to being more capable. Sometimes, you will need fresh brain instead of experienced ones if you are looking for improvement.

Age is just a number many times. I have three so called adults working with me and often I have to urge them to grow up. Sadly, my son is in that group so I don't know what that says about me as he's watched and worked with me all his life.

Recently many teenagers getting out from school have been asking for employment but unfortunately it's quite dead so it won't be feasible to take any on at this time. Some demonstrate just in conversation a level of maturity that I find admirable. Teenagers should not be discounted.

Were I to find a teen that I could afford to pay who demonstrates a willingness to get involved in the technical aspects of the business and develop web related matters to take the business to the next level I would hire said person in a heartbeat.

Kids are taught how to use computers while still in Kindergarten now. They are much more savvy then most of us adults who have gone to higher education schools to learn more into them. Embarrassingly I have had a 9 year old show me how to do something on a computer once that I could not figure out. I felt pretty stupid. Kids today know the systems. They know the net better then their own names. They are also a lot more mature in many aspects then most adults.

Kids are taught how to use computers while still in Kindergarten now. They are much more savvy then most of us adults who have gone to higher education schools to learn more into them. Embarrassingly I have had a 9 year old show me how to do something on a computer once that I could not figure out. I felt pretty stupid. Kids today know the systems. They know the net better then their own names. They are also a lot more mature in many aspects then most adults.
Kids are taught how to use computers while still in kindergarten. And to think that I had a hard time teaching adults how to use the computer way back in 2004. Those adults could never use the computer without my guidance. As a tutor, I know they were resistant to technology so I tried to find a better method of teaching. With the proliferation of the cellphone, those adults were somewhat receptive whenever I would compare the computer to the cellphone. As for the topic, yes and yes, kids are savvy with technology.

I myself am 15 years old. I am staff on a couple of forums and I am mature and I make sure to do the best I can, and I don't argue with anyone.

I like to prove myself to other people. Some people think because we are teenagers, we are irresponsible, we have bad language and/or spelling, and we fight alot. That might be true for some teens but there are mature ones out there.

I usually try to check around first before I hire a younger teen around 13 years old because some of them do abuse their powers and some are completely disrespectful like one I dealt with yesterday. Everyone is different so everyone would have a different outcome.
I see no problem in hiring a teen if they are doing to help, and they can be mature about it, and if they aren't doing it just for the staff title.
With the title comes big responsibilities.

I don't see anything wrong with hiring teenagers as a member of the staff, as long as he knows how to use his/her privilege rightfully. There should be guidelines given to the newly hired teen staff.

Teenagers nowadays are techy. They learn things easily. Many sites nowadays has teen staffs and even created successful websites. They can be of good contribution if monitored and taught to become matured and dedicated on their job.

I also don't really think the age of the person should matter either really. It's mainly about if they're responsible enough or not, and if they are, then go for it.

I've known people in their early 30's that couldn't run a bath, nevermind a website, so forget about the age is my advice.

Top Bottom