• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Spend lot's of time on your forum

PlayBall

We as forum owners need to spend lot's of time on our forum posting content and so people can see we care about our forum. I've been on forums where the owner is never on so it makes it seem like he/she doesn't care about their forum. It's very important to spend lot's of time on the forum, especially in the early stages of your forum when it's not active yet.

I used to be the sole admin and moderator of our office forum when it was launched. But after several days, I have appointed my technical assistant to be the moderator so I would have a backup. However, both me and my assistant are monitoring the forum during daytime only. There were times that we would open the forum to see lots of spam posts. Sometimes the spamming are on all the boards. In those cases, we would block the IP address and also email address of the spammer. But in a day or two, there would be spam posts again. It would be best if your forum has a resident moderator for 3 shifts so the forum is monitored 24/7.

Something admins should do is to make members feel like they fit in by replying on threads with no replies. Being ignored discourages new members from continuing to post. Just because you are an admin in doesn't mean you should not join discussions. There are times when threads got ignored because they were created the moment a member replied to a discussion or created a new thread. I believe helping out unreplied threads is a job of an admin.

You are most correct. The admin being online gives members the comfort of being on the forum especially if they have any questions about how anything works. Like you said especially when the forum is just inniciating. It's good to have some kind of contact with the admin and be able to chat with them sometimes just to get to know them.

You are very true. The owner should also play the role of a moderator, poster and a mediator in the initial stages of a forum. He should post threads or posts in between. His presence itself is enough to check spammers. This show how serious is he in the business. Some forum owners just launch a forum and forget about this. At least he should post a number of new threads to start with.

As @The_Arctic_Outcry has rightly said he can also find an able member as moderator to take care of overall health of the forum.

Top Bottom