• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Short vs long domain name?

Hi guys, i am torn between chasing a short and long domain name for my new blog. Which one in your opinion will do better with search engines?

I'm not sure if the length of the name makes much difference to be honest, you just have to make sure that it's unique, stands out from the crowd, and memorable so when people think of a topic, your site will automatically spring to mind.

Length of the domain name has a little to do with the search engine result. If your site is widely used, and the content is appealing enough to catch people’s attention, it will automatically rank up in the search result.

However, the domain name should be such that it reflects the purpose of the site. Unique and an optimal length domain name work the best. A longer name might also be good if it stands out, but there is a chance for people to forget it.

You should rather focus on catchy domain name this is easy to remember. If you can come up with an interesting and catchy name, a long domain name can also be good.

I think a short domain would be better. As long as it is catchy, it would be effective. Also, being a user, I prefer typing shorter domains.

ray

As much I know according to SEO experts there is a specific number of characters for the best results besides you cannot exceed the limit of 255 so in my views the best length of a domain name is in between 150-250 on a safer side which describes your topic best.

tony

Short domain names that are catchy or appealing are more SEO friendly. I'd prefer a short domain name well thought out. Users tend to have a better experience with them, easier to remember.

Last edited:

Binu

Even though experts say short domain name works better, when I was registering my domain I chose a long name, It has 13 characters. Since my domain names has two words and easy to remember, I think the long name will not harm my website. Long or short does not matter, what matters is whether it is easy to remember or not.

ray

I agree with all of you that subscribe to thought of 'shorter is better' but if you look at the SEO part of it you will find that a longer one has a better chance for listing purpose.

I agree with all of you that subscribe to thought of 'shorter is better' but if you look at the SEO part of it you will find that a longer one has a better chance for listing purpose.
Is it? I have never heard about it. Even I thought that short one are more good in compare of long one. I should have got this information earlier. Lol. Thanks for telling it, I believe you in this for sure.

ray

Is it? I have never heard about it. Even I thought that short one are more good in compare of long one. I should have got this information earlier. Lol. Thanks for telling it, I believe you in this for sure.
I don't say that longer names always do better but few other factors are also responsible so what I suggest is that you should check it for yourself what works better for you. Maybe not all longer names works as well for everyone but it certainly depends on what grove they fit in perfectly.

Yes I can understand that Ray. It is also depend on the site's subject. I know you are talking in the general ways. It is also depend on few other factors.

Top Bottom