• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Shopping on social media?

Rubie

A social media is a platform where communication and interaction to other people are specilized. It is considered as a tool that bridges the exchange of informations and ideas from each members. Photo and video sharing are the two possible ways of how a social media works, as well as messaging, chatting, commenting, and liking.

The most popular social media networking platform is Facebook, which undeniably collected billions of active users from around the world. Because web technology constitutes different areas of website exposure, the potential of Facebook to possibly accomodate the needs in servicing over the world wide web is catered.

Facebook introduces new feature which will turn the newsfeed into a virtual store window. "Shopping" will be added to be able to see a sneak-peak on an advertisers product before actually visiting the original site. A user will have the experience of shopping over the social networking site. On that note, the advertiser's revenue will have the clearer chance of growth as how visible their products on the users would be.

Last edited:
I am not fond of shopping and that shopping experience in Facebook may just irritate me. In fact, I have already unfriended several friends who used tag me when they post advertisements in Facebook. When I need something, let me find it by myself and no need for the hard sell. Even in my phone, I am listing down the phone numbers of spam texters because I feel that advertisements or spam is just wasting my time.

Rubie

Well, I dont think it would be a problem because the choice of shopping feature depends on your preferences. As I previously mentioned, Shopping on Facebook is a matter of switching newsfeed into the page where you can shop. The power is in your hands, no one will bug you about this.

This feature might not be benificial to Facebook users but a big help for advertisers. It helps advertisers to be more visible and attract target audiences. Thus, resulting good sales.

Last edited:
I agree with your point that it would be a great help for the advertisers. But as of now Internet is flooded with various types of advertising and people are really fed up with ads. They develop a lousy approach towards ads being displayed nowadays. So, the effectiveness of ads is in question. I think if they have an option to set it off, they will do it without a second thought.

So, I think there should be more innovative ways to advertise your sites/business online.

After paying extra taxes and fees after picking up my package in the post office, I quit online shopping. The damn seller promised me free shipping and instead of delivering me my package they send me a card instructing me to go to the post office and pick up my damn package. Because less people are sending letters now, there is a corruption in the post office of my city so I have to go through shenanigans before I can get my package. Sorry Facebook but I am going to skip this shopping option. I will not order anything online until the corruption in the post office here will be fixed.

To be honest something like that doesn't really appeal to me either but I'm sure to some it might do.

People spend too much time on social media these days anyway in my opinion and something like that being introduced will only escalate the issue.

Honestly, me and my brother made a Facebook page to sell some goods. We just invited people to like our page and posts the pictures we are selling. Sometimes, I will share the pictures on my personal account for others to see it. I never tagged anyone else because it can be disturbing to some people who might get notified whenever someone comments on the picture. I respect someone's privacy so I just simply post and share but not tagging anybody.

@ipol12 how did that Facebook page turn out, did you manage to sell anything on there or did people view but just not buy?

And regarding the privacy I think you picked the right option. I'm a member of a few groups myself on Facebook and I sometimes have to turn the notifications off because they become that annoying.

I am using Facebook to connect with my friends and to get updated about the latest developments around the world. I am not interested in shopping through Facebook, though it seems it will benefit a lot of advertisers and the arena will be crowded with myriads of players targeting the excited audience.

ray

I have seen many people doing good or at least telling us they are doing good but they probably do it within their own circle. If I have to buy something I have number of shopping sites which are offering me lot of things on discounted price with my bank providing me more benefits then I have mu coupons that I use while purchasing online.

Personally, I have never shopped on any social media site and I’m not sure if I would. I feel like the privacy and security risk are just too high and unnecessary. I rarely shop online anyway but I guess I’ll just have to wait and see how the Facebook shopping platform catches on in my country.

@ipol12 how did that Facebook page turn out, did you manage to sell anything on there or did people view but just not buy?

And regarding the privacy I think you picked the right option. I'm a member of a few groups myself on Facebook and I sometimes have to turn the notifications off because they become that annoying.
Me and some of my friends do request people to like the page. But we don't tag people with our post and photos. After some few hours or a day, we share the photos again. At least we had some loyal customers already.

Me and some of my friends do request people to like the page. But we don't tag people with our post and photos. After some few hours or a day, we share the photos again. At least we had some loyal customers already.
Not tagging people is definitely the better option I think, as people tend to get a lot of notifications anyway throughout the day, so getting them from a Facebook page aswell might be too much for some.

Not tagging people is definitely the better option I think, as people tend to get a lot of notifications anyway throughout the day, so getting them from a Facebook page aswell might be too much for some.
Yeah. Thinking I am in their position, I would get annoyed. So I don't tag it to anyone. I knew someone who tags everyone and it is annoying that I get notified even when someone comments on that post.

Yeah. Thinking I am in their position, I would get annoyed. So I don't tag it to anyone. I knew someone who tags everyone and it is annoying that I get notified even when someone comments on that post.
You are right. The unwanted notifications we receive after we are tagged by somebody is irritating. Even if the person is close friend, everyone will not like tagging because of its after-effects. I prefer giving prior intimation before tagging.

I have no clear idea on how social media makes business. The Facebook for example has a billion users all over the world, but they are all business minded. Some of them for sure are youths, students, mothers, but business men are only few. However, it is FB itself that converts the site into a business adventure. FB alows advertisement at the side bar or to comment area. So far, the business being promoted by FB as I know is shopify and a promo of putting a business in FB.

jb23k

I would hope that this could be a good way to make money. I just would rather spend my time on proven methods of making money. I wouldn't say there isn't a chance that you can't make money on Facebook but I haven't really seen anybody do it yet. I've advertised alot of things on Facebook even legit money making opportunities and no ones even responded to me about it.

Nowadays scammers use social media sites as a platform to trap visitors and their main modus operandi is through shopping sites. They use phishing links which will divert you to cloned sites of well known shopping sites. Once you pay for the products you are not going to get the product ever and your private information like credit card or bank account details could be at stake. So I would stay away from using shopping sites through social networking platforms. I would rather go directly to the site and order goods. But we should make sure that the web address is right and also ensure that the site address begins with https instead of http

Top Bottom