• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Question about unmetered bandwidth...

rightct

Alright, so you guys might have probably heard that sites lately offer what is called "unmetered" bandwidth for the same price of, say, 50GB worth of bandwidth that some other sites offer. Though I have a doubt. I know that this is just a marketing strategy for companies to sell their hosting services, but what if someone actually used so much bandwidth in one month that'd make the "unmetered" bandwidth actually unworth to the company?
I also understand that shared hosting is essentially designed to suit blogs and generally sites with low traffic, but huge bandwidth usage doesn't also mean huge traffic since you could have a lot of files/content on your site that can be downloaded by, say, 1000 users.

So my question is as follows: Is there really someone who actually offers unmetered bandwidth, or are they hiding something in their Terms and Conditions that could oblige me to pay additional costs at the end of the month?

Thanks for your answers in advance!
Rightct

I know that GoDaddy offers unmetered bandwidth, and it's perfect for beginners, also what's the most important it's a very cheap web hosting company. You should definitely try it out. :)

JoshK

I think the real answer really is there is no such thing as "unlimited" or "unmetered" because even if there is no visible clause, there is going to be one somewhere and if you end up using to much bandwidth etc then your more than likely going to be throttled, asked to pay more or told that they cant host you any more.

I've seen on quite a few forums in the past, companies have been offering and promoting unlimited disk space, when reality there is no such thing, for example I'm sure you will not be able to host 500TB of data (Even if you had that much data!) on an unlimited disk space plan.

Alright, so you guys might have probably heard that sites lately offer what is called "unmetered" bandwidth for the same price of, say, 50GB worth of bandwidth that some other sites offer. Though I have a doubt. I know that this is just a marketing strategy for companies to sell their hosting services, but what if someone actually used so much bandwidth in one month that'd make the "unmetered" bandwidth actually unworth to the company?
I also understand that shared hosting is essentially designed to suit blogs and generally sites with low traffic, but huge bandwidth usage doesn't also mean huge traffic since you could have a lot of files/content on your site that can be downloaded by, say, 1000 users.

So my question is as follows: Is there really someone who actually offers unmetered bandwidth, or are they hiding something in their Terms and Conditions that could oblige me to pay additional costs at the end of the month?

Thanks for your answers in advance!
Rightct
In computer networks there is something called as "ports", however, what are they I'll leave that for the moment as that's beyond the discussion of this thread. Unmetered, by its very definition is limited -- because it means that you are (only) restricted by the port size and that is based on the plan you opt for from your hosting company. Let's assume you pay for 25 GB plan, we'll use this later in an example to see what it means to you.

On the other hand, someone may offer a bandwidth to you by giving a finite amount of free bandwidth per month, say 1500 GB, but you are free to use, as much the port can go, at any time.

Now if we combine both the examples together - the first example says that you get a car which can drive up to 25 miles per hour, you can go as far as you want and gas is not an issue. While the second example says that you are told you can drive as fast as you can but you can only drive up to 1500 miles in total because by that time, your free helping of gas will run out and you need to pay for extra miles.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

MarcS

Unlimited or Unmetered is nothing but a marketing gimmick. Nowadays, most overselling web host claims to offer unmetered bandwidth under Fair Use Policy. This Fair Use Policy states that "you are free to host your website only as long as you use a given subset of resources". If your exceeds its bandwidth or disk space limits you will violate the Fair Use Policy and your website will be penalized.

Web Hosts can offer unlimited resources because there are a hundred users on a given shared server but not all of them will use all the resources available. In most cases, 99 out of the 100 users will consume a small fraction of the traffic and space, and this allows the host to oversell servers claiming that hosting is unlimited.

Top Bottom