• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Not banning trolls to get traffic?

I heard that some forums and blogs don't ban certain trolls. No matter how offensive and repulsive they were admins don't ban them because they increase traffic when people start fighting them or debating them. I had notice that some forums ban trolls but there is always this special troll who doesn't get banned even if they cross the line. The more hated they were, the more they will get tolerated by the admins.

To Forum owners, Would you protect a certain troll from the rules if they give you a lot of traffic due to controversy?

I would ban a troll, because I think I did lose more people than benefit from it, because people would obviously complain and report the person and most forums have rules, in which insults and the likes to cause problems are banned. I would delete a troll from my forum if I see trouble, without hesitation, after giving my warnings.

That is also my perspective but in many popular forums, Many mods and admins seemed to intentionally ignore certain trolls even if the members are already livid. They seemed to want people to argue because it makes discussions longer. I really don't know why it has become as an advantage when it can alienate members and discourage them from continuing posting on the site.

I do have experience of a troll was treated as a premium members. She always picked bones with other members and there was an intense debates, however, it was always another member who would be banned.

If the forum is my personal ownership, I probably would apply discretion on trolls. I agree to this thread that trolls also increase traffic since their post is also traffic. But the quality of trolling would depend on taste. There are trolls that are sarcastic or critical up to the point of being offending and there are those troll with no manner whatsoever. Maybe I would automatically ban the latter and the former would be subject to evaluation. I am saying this because when I first joined a horse racing forum, I was immediately branded as a troll because my posts were mostly controversial. But eventually the admin and mods got the sense in my posts and not to brag, I had earned some fans in that forum.

Sometimes I was starting to be suspicious that these VIP trolls are the admins themselves. They do it to keep up a traffic with controversy and have members try to fight that persona.

Last edited:
I believe that if a forum allows trolls they will lose great members in the long run so it's best to keep them away. Like The_Arctic_Outcry mentioned it can be the admin themselves trolling their own forum to catch more attention and bringing in more traffic. This does not mean it's always a good idea since it can cause problem with their frequent posters.

Kaynil

There are trolls that are sarcastic or critical up to the point of being offending and there are those troll with no manner whatsoever. Maybe I would automatically ban the latter and the former would be subject to evaluation. I am saying this because when I first joined a horse racing forum, I was immediately branded as a troll because my posts were mostly controversial. But eventually the admin and mods got the sense in my posts and not to brag, I had earned some fans in that forum.
This is important. Some people are blunt in the way of speaking but are not actively trying to troll and bait people, they just happen to be in the minority with their thoughts. I think branding a user as a troll too quickly can also be damaging.

In itself, having someone causing discussion because of their ideas is not a bad thing, so long the respect doesn't go out of the window. I think the way the member act and the intentions behind their posts are what really leaves clear when a person has no redeeming factors to merit their stay or if it is someone that is trying to be part of the community.

Top Bottom