• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Light or dark?

I usually prefer to light them for my forum platform. Even I ask my clients to use a light them for their site. I am a website developer and ask my client to always stick to a light theme. Dark themes are good to be used but not preferable for a good site. They are suitable for sites like Black Hat Hacking Tricks, Hacking, and anything related to illegal activity. It suits them very well and you might have already noticed this on forums. These types of forums have dark themes and others having legit stuff have light themes installed on them.

I think light theme will be more appropriate. My choice is based on my observation. Light themes are more pleasant to the eyes, whereas dark themes give stress to the eyes.

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
To be frank I like both dark themes and light themes. I would choose between dark or light theme based on the niche of the forum. But if I have to choose between dark theme and light theme then I would prefer light theme.

vinisouz

I prefer dark them because it is less usual than light. Every software or forum normally use light theme. Light them is becoming boring for me, so dark theme is a good alternative to change.

Friclya

I usually prefer to light them for my forum platform. Even I ask my clients to use a light them for their site. I am a website developer and ask my client to always stick to a light theme. Dark themes are good to be used but not preferable for a good site. They are suitable for sites like Black Hat Hacking Tricks, Hacking, and anything related to illegal activity. It suits them very well and you might have already noticed this on forums. These types of forums have dark themes and others having legit stuff have light themes installed on them.
Yes! Indeed its true that the theme make an unconscious effect on mind of people who are accessing the website. As mentioned by Rizwan the light themes are generally taken as for legit stuffs and information whereas the dark themes are viewed as illegal stuffs like pirated software and notorious activites either for fun or illegal tasks. For example sites based on music should have sky blue color or other tone of blue as they give a soothing pleasure also sites based on food and beverages should have yellow colour as it resembles hunger. :)

Yes! Indeed its true that the theme make an unconscious effect on mind of people who are accessing the website. As mentioned by Rizwan the light themes are generally taken as for legit stuffs and information whereas the dark themes are viewed as illegal stuffs like pirated software and notorious activites either for fun or illegal tasks. For example sites based on music should have sky blue color or other tone of blue as they give a soothing pleasure also sites based on food and beverages should have yellow colour as it resembles hunger. :)
Almost all types of the website must have different color schemes. It makes a sense of the difference between them in minds of people. People usually think a site is harmful because of it's colors and images. On the other hand, a light colored and beautiful images enabled site, is very popular among people. People stay on those sites for longer periods of time.

While I think both light and dark schemes can both work well, personally I prefer the lighter themes as I think they stand out more.

When it comes to a forum, the main reason people are there is to read comments and write replies, and I think that's sometimes easier to do with a light theme as opposed to a dark one, but that's just my own preference.

I guess for this thing different people will have different choice. Personally I will go with light theme for my blog or website. I think darker themes are not that attractive in compare to lighter themes. Plus I thinks that texts are more clear and visible in lighter themes. That's my personal opinion.

Teg

Honestly, if a light theme is well designed and pleasing to the eye, I don't mind lighter themes. That said, I tend to lean towards darker themes because they are generally easier on the eyes and I browse my computer and websites more at night time.

Hissae2

The first forum I joined used a dark theme and after being on that forum and not knowing about anything else for a while, I became accustomed to dark themes. When I did eventually join other forums I preferred dark themes for a long time for that reason. But more recently, I like light themes better because I find them more inviting.

There is something about dark themes that seem to attrack me more. I like when two dark colors are combined in a forum I feel like it gives the forum a calming vibe. In the other hand if dark and bright colors sre combined it gives me a headache.

Kaynil

I think it is good to give a choice between light and dark in our communities, regardless of our preference, so people visiting from different devices and with different eyesight can find an option to cover their needs and preferences.

Now as a personal preference, I rather light skins. For some reason it makes the forum feels more friendly to me. I don't know why.
That said, I don't really mind dark themes.

biege

I prefer the dark theme most. Just like the other posters mentioned above me, it's easy to the eyes since it prevent strain or stress. Honestly, I like how this Forum site is setup, it's plain but it's pleasing to the eyes.

RJTBGFX

Marketing Manager
Staff member
I Personally prefer a dark theme, The reason being its not so harsh on your eyes. Light themes sometimes make my monitors light up as if they were high beam lights, Not only that but i just prefer a darker color they always seem to look good on a site.

I like light themes. However, I would go for a dark one if I ever set up a gaming forum or some strange general discussion forum. Anyhow, if you're going for a light theme, then a few off-colors, like smoky white, can be an advantage. Notice, that on some white themes, the area on the sides and perhaps below and above the main area use smoky white.

I would go for a light theme if I am to run a forum. I'd be looking at developing a site where every form of issues could be discussed at a reasonable formal level. I'll like the theme to have a formal or a civilised out look. Ithink dark themes maybe good for game sites or forums where the main subjects looks a little more informal

Why not both? Some people prefer light themes and the other prefer dark themes. You can let the users decide for themselves. I personally prefer light themes.

Top Bottom