• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is moderating posts in forums effective in keeping check on it?

Anachiwo

The issue of spamming as well spammers have led many site and forum owners to moderate posts and writings on their site in order to limit the activities of such nuisance in the blog/forum/sites. Some of these sites owners even go to the extent of moderating the registration of members and accounts approved in the platform.

Now, it could be argued that such moderating actions limit and slows down work on such sites or forum or blogs because some people would be deterred from posting on such sites. There is a friend of mine who told me that he doesn't like posting on sites that moderates posts. What do you think about this moderating of posts on some sites?

Moderating a post is a good thing to do for a website owner or admin. It purges unwanted posts and articles. It leads to enhance and boost one's site integrity. A well moderated post could easily gets a good site ranking, could attract more users and even good online adverts.

I am a webmaster and I own a blog/forum and I monitor the registration of the forum but I do not monitor posts, but I do read every single post and I delete the spam posts. And as a forum owner, you have to monitor everything because spam and low-quality posts hurt the ranking of your website. And not only that they hurt the overall integrity of your website because if a new visitor comes to your website they are going to leave right away if they see a website full of spam and low-quality posts.

P.S. a lot of people start a blog or forum and fold up shop in a few months or less because they find out how much money and work go into a website.

If you mean by moderating posts is waiting for approval before making the post official, that is a big turn off. In fact, there is one site like that which had lost all its members, no more post on the boards for many months now. For spamming, I guess it is okay to delete or mark the post spam for the legit members will surely understand. Monitoring the posts is not an easy job especially when the forum is very dynamic that it gets hundreds of posts in an hour. It may be an impossible task to check on every post.

I think moderating posts is not a bad idea but if you have many members, it is better to hire a moderator to help in moderating posts for you. I also think deleting spams and giving a reason as to why you deleted a specific post will be good so that members can learn what is expected from them.

Anachiwo

I am a webmaster and I own a blog/forum and I monitor the registration of the forum but I do not monitor posts, but I do read every single post and I delete the spam posts. And as a forum owner, you have to monitor everything because spam and low-quality posts hurt the ranking of your website. And not only that they hurt the overall integrity of your website because if a new visitor comes to your website they are going to leave right away if they see a website full of spam and low-quality posts.

P.S. a lot of people start a blog or forum and fold up shop in a few months or less because they find out how much money and work go into a website.
I would agree the most times spamming is not a good sight seeing for any blog or forum owner, it bugs the person looking and seeing that some people are just trying to undermine his or her good work in his site. The truth is that such acts would never stop and it's entirely left for the site or blog or forum to decide the best way handle the issue of spam on their site.

@Soulwatcher I'm glad hearing that you are a webmaster owning a blog/forum, and your taking out a moment to reply here with the content of your post shows that it pays more to at least monitor the registration of members on the site, because it's the root of everything that goes on afterwards in the site.

Anachiwo

If you mean by moderating posts is waiting for approval before making the post official, that is a big turn off. In fact, there is one site like that which had lost all its members, no more post on the boards for many months now. For spamming, I guess it is okay to delete or mark the post spam for the legit members will surely understand. Monitoring the posts is not an easy job especially when the forum is very dynamic that it gets hundreds of posts in an hour. It may be an impossible task to check on every post.
This is exactly what my friend that hated moderating had to say, waiting for over a long time before making the post approved was very frustrating to him. He made mention that there was a particular day that after making posts, it was never approved and the next thing was going offline by the site.

Truely, this is not a good feeling for one to end up writing good post and never have it approved for over 24 hours, and with the site going offline. This would certainly reduce one's interest in posting on such particular sites. If I'm being truthful, I would think twice before wasting my time writing on such site.

Anachiwo

I think moderating posts is not a bad idea but if you have many members, it is better to hire a moderator to help in moderating posts for you. I also think deleting spams and giving a reason as to why you deleted a specific post will be good so that members can learn what is expected from them.
This is a very good idea, by not leaving everything and all tasks to be done by the forum or blog owner and employing a moderator to help with the work is definitely going to increase the efficiency of work on the site. The reason why I think that most times it takes too long to approve those moderated posts might be as a result less time for the site owner to handle other things he or she had to do, before coming back to deal with the post.

But should he employ a moderator who is also good at the work, this will help get some steam off his back and get some work moving on the site even if he or she the site owner isn't disposed to be online for the forum business at the moment.

Heatman

Well, in my opinion moderation is good but there are things to consider in putting such checks in place for the well-being and security of one's forum or blog. Activeness is the major thing to look out for when moderating forum posts because if you as the forum owner isn't always online to approve posts and moderate them, posters would lose interest in posting as a result of longer time it takes for their write up to be approved.

The forum owner can hire some posters who actually knows what they are doing to help him out with this post moderating in order to make things and life e for himself and his forum posters as well.

Anachiwo

Well, in my opinion moderation is good but there are things to consider in putting such checks in place for the well-being and security of one's forum or blog. Activeness is the major thing to look out for when moderating forum posts because if you as the forum owner isn't always online to approve posts and moderate them, posters would lose interest in posting as a result of longer time it takes for their write up to be approved.

The forum owner can hire some posters who actually knows what they are doing to help him out with this post moderating in order to make things and life e for himself and his forum posters as well.
Some blog and forum owners do hire members to help them out with moderating the forum or blog posts. This is a good way to run things especially when time and chance isn't always at the disposal of the forum owner. Some forum owners would task the individual they hire to work more for the forum by helping out in creating new threads on the forums, to increase traffic activity on the site by having more topics to discuss on.

Most posters are good with replying to threads than creating new content, but with the activities of the hired moderators in assisting with creating new content provides more opportunities for there to be cause for discussion unlike when it's few threads that's made for posting.

mbuzma

Moderating your forum is a necessity, to both keep spamming at the minimum and to uphold the forum rules. If you don't have time to moderate it yourself, hiring other people as admins would be a good idea, but you need to be careful of who you hire because I've seen immature, petty admins practically destroy forums.
People who won't post on your forum just because their posts could be moderated are likely the ones who would flame/spam/cause trouble to begin with, so no big loss there as far as I'm concerned. Obviously don't make the rules too strict though, as that would put people off.

I do agree with your idea. If the site has so many posts and it is the policy of the site to moderate all those posts, then a need for a number of moderators is a must. However, in a situation like that, it couldn't be avoided that some of the moderators are biased and some are liberal. In that case, it will cause confusion in the management of the site and the members to that effect will be affected. There will be eventually a drain of the active members.

Heatman

Some blog and forum owners do hire members to help them out with moderating the forum or blog posts. This is a good way to run things especially when time and chance isn't always at the disposal of the forum owner. Some forum owners would task the individual they hire to work more for the forum by helping out in creating new threads on the forums, to increase traffic activity on the site by having more topics to discuss on.

Most posters are good with replying to threads than creating new content, but with the activities of the hired moderators in assisting with creating new content provides more opportunities for there to be cause for discussion unlike when it's few threads that's made for posting.
I have actually been hired on one forum a while back and I must confess that it's my activeness and seriousness with my contributions in the forum that led to my being picked to work as a moderator for the forum. I appreciated the gesture by the forum owner on seeing and rating me as being good enough to work for his forum without me applying to work as a moderator for him. Some forum owners do advertise the job opportunity and ask members to apply for the post. That is also another good way to seek out those willing to work and aid the forum success.

Anachiwo

I have actually been hired on one forum a while back and I must confess that it's my activeness and seriousness with my contributions in the forum that led to my being picked to work as a moderator for the forum. I appreciated the gesture by the forum owner on seeing and rating me as being good enough to work for his forum without me applying to work as a moderator for him. Some forum owners do advertise the job opportunity and ask members to apply for the post. That is also another good way to seek out those willing to work and aid the forum success.
That's one good experience for you because it surely gave you the zeal to always work harder for the forum you were hired. Getting to be on the administrator team isn't something that comes easily on daily basis. One get to work his or her ass off before getting such opportunities calling for him.

But please I would like to know if there is any added incentive that these forum owners give those they hired to be work for them as their moderators? You were once hired to work as one right? Were you paid or given any incentive for the work?

Heatman

That's one good experience for you because it surely gave you the zeal to always work harder for the forum you were hired. Getting to be on the administrator team isn't something that comes easily on daily basis. One get to work his or her ass off before getting such opportunities calling for him.

But please I would like to know if there is any added incentive that these forum owners give those they hired to be work for them as their moderators? You were once hired to work as one right? Were you paid or given any incentive for the work?
The forum I was hired to work on never gave me any added incentive or pay for working as a moderator. It's not because the forum owner didn't have plans for such but it's because the forum was still at its young age. So he made me and other hired promises to start paying us for our work once the forum gets better with lots of activities. But sadly, the forum isn't active for a long while now and it's really bad because I really was enjoying my time and stay on the forum.

Heatman

Moderating your forum is a necessity, to both keep spamming at the minimum and to uphold the forum rules. If you don't have time to moderate it yourself, hiring other people as admins would be a good idea, but you need to be careful of who you hire because I've seen immature, petty admins practically destroy forums.
People who won't post on your forum just because their posts could be moderated are likely the ones who would flame/spam/cause trouble to begin with, so no big loss there as far as I'm concerned. Obviously don't make the rules too strict though, as that would put people off.
I totally agree with you on this assertion, some people have made it a point of duty to always just pop in and spam ones forum to oblivion if you don't stop them. So therefore, having to hire at least 2 moderators would help the forum owner to have absolutely control in monitoring all the activities going on in the forum even if he or she isn't online or available. Those moderators hired would ensure that things run smoothly without any hitches and immediately kick out and ban any spammer.

Anachiwo

The forum I was hired to work on never gave me any added incentive or pay for working as a moderator. It's not because the forum owner didn't have plans for such but it's because the forum was still at its young age. So he made me and other hired promises to start paying us for our work once the forum gets better with lots of activities. But sadly, the forum isn't active for a long while now and it's really bad because I really was enjoying my time and stay on the forum.
That's very sad to hear that the forum went off and never came back again. Personally had it been me, I would really feel bad about how things panned out with losing to work on a forum that I enjoy participating in. Did you try contacting the forum owner to find out the reason why the forum had to stop functioning because from your narration, it seems you weren't informed that the forum won't be active for a while.

Anachiwo

Spammers are the most important reasons why forum owners look for having a moderator who can always be active in monitoring all activities going on in the forum both when the forum owner is online or offline. Spammers never take a moment break unless they are banned and kicked out of the forum with a worst possible rating and it's the job of a moderator to spot out these Spammers and send their spam account straight to the bin.

Anachiwo

I do agree with your idea. If the site has so many posts and it is the policy of the site to moderate all those posts, then a need for a number of moderators is a must. However, in a situation like that, it couldn't be avoided that some of the moderators are biased and some are liberal. In that case, it will cause confusion in the management of the site and the members to that effect will be affected. There will be eventually a drain of the active members.
Personally in my opinion, before hiring a moderator, the forum owner should have studied the individual with his work on the forum and determine if such person would be good in human management. In as much as it's called moderator for the forum, the individual is actually managing all the members in the platform because he has to meddle in some cases that might be of an issue. You don't just see any member in your forum and make him her a moderator, that's not a right way in getting someone who would be very eager to work for you.

mbuzma

I totally agree with you on this assertion, some people have made it a point of duty to always just pop in and spam ones forum to oblivion if you don't stop them. So therefore, having to hire at least 2 moderators would help the forum owner to have absolutely control in monitoring all the activities going on in the forum even if he or she isn't online or available. Those moderators hired would ensure that things run smoothly without any hitches and immediately kick out and ban any spammer.
Yeah spammers will immediately take over a forum if given the chance. If that happens, ordinary forum users will abandon the forum and it would be pretty hard to bring them back. All the hard work in attracting the posters would go to waste.
Also, its pretty obvious but I meant moderators not admins in my post that you quoted.

Top Bottom