• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is it even worth trying to rank in bing, yahoo, etc?

lludawg

When I am working on ranking my site on search engines, the only search engine I really consider is Google. I don't look to see where I am ranking on other search engines like Yahoo or Bing. Should I be considering where my site ranks on other search engines? Or is it fine just focusing on Google?

Honestly, I feel like most web users use Google. So if I am ranking on the first page of Google, I'll most likely be ranking on the first page of other search engines right?

I think you should start trying to rank with Bing because many people are already converting to it like it I'd a religion. Many people are leaving Google because of the spams becoming the top results and those click bait hoax sites like Kdramastars showing up as top result. Bing gets less spam results so many people are already leaving Google. Bing kept on improving. For sure you should still kept on trying to get on too at Google but do of underestimate Bing. It's pregnant with potential and it will explode when the baby is born.

Well, yes. Getting a pretty high rank in Bing and Yahoo could still be very beneficial to your website. They could somehow help generate traffic to your website. However, I agree with you, Google is the number one search engine out there, and everyone's competing for the top spot, so if you will rank high enough in Google, there's a huge possibility it would also reflect in Bing and Yahoo.

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with every one here. Even I use to concentrate my rankings in only google. But there are many people who are using Bing and yahoo for their searches as they find that these engines have improved. Concentrating your rankings on all search engines will increase your website traffic, like you can say additional traffic. I understand google sends more traffic than any other search engines but getting an additional traffic is always worth.

I used to think just like you @lludawg. The only search engine I knew was Google. But of late I have visited a couple of cybercafé in Nairobi and they are all using Bing. So it’s true what everyone is saying; all search engines are worth ranking for. Additionally I believe there’s less competition on yahoo and Bing.

go before. All the best.

Bing is growing like crazy and its about to take over. At certain point of history, the top search engine was Archie. No one is using Archie anymore. Many people don't trust Google anymore because of many annoying flaws like spams and makwares appearing on the search results. Another complaint about Google is the NSFW appearing on the Google image search results even if the filter is set to safe. Focusing in Google is great but you need to expand your options. All the positive reviews Bing has been getting shows its potential bandits better to do well on their search results as early as it can be.

Last edited:
Do you think your users will always use only google? If your answer is yes, your question has a positive answer. Along with yahoo, bing, yandex, baidu, duckduckgo all have their own place. Long story short - to be found in more organic searched, it's very much worth to spend your time to rank in other search engines as well.

Since I use only Google so I think SEO in other search engines are not that important to me. But as per the posts here, it seems that many users are now shifting to Bing, if true then it should be considered. That's one problem with the internet, there are no statistics to back up our claims about popular sites. Even the argument about most popular email, there are those who say that Yahoo is on the way down and would close shop soon. It is difficult to rebut since I have no proof of the contrary so I just leave it at that.

Doc Moose

Ranking on Google is very difficult because of competition. And it is even more so when the site is new. Ranking your site for low competition keywords won't drive that much traffic anyway. It only comes in trickles. It would take a lot of work and knowledge to have your site get up there in the rankings for high competition keywords.

rightct

I see you have a rather biased opinion on Yahoo and Bing. I will shed some light upon your doubt of them.

Firstly and foremost, Google's not what it's used to be anymore. Just like another user in this thread pointed out well, the only way you could possibly rank isn't by doing it organically, but by buying advertising packages from Google Adsense. If you think that those who rank the best in Google are doing it just by writing valuable keywords that don't have any competition in it, you're truly mistaken.

Secondly, Yahoo and Bing might be lesser in what concerns traffic, but it's even more valuable. On Bing and Yahoo, usually old people who don't have any idea about what Internet is and just occassionally check their email wander there, so you have more chances of selling your products since they won't probably do any research based on what you exposed on your blog/site/whatever. After all, unless you're running AdSense, traffic really doesn't matter. You can have 100,000k unique visitors and 20-30 conversions per month, but you can also have 5000k unique visitors and 1000 sales per month. Quality>quantity always.

Definitely! Google may be the mainstream search engine for many countries, but it is not the only one. Every traffic counts, so you should maximize your SEO power for the rest of the power house. For example, if you are focusing on China market, then you will have to work on ranking up on baidu.

Kennito

I feel like its good to concentrate on all the platform as the few user you are ignoring in Bing and yahoo might be your potential clients when the rest of people are concentrating only in big G.

You cannot underestimate the lesser known search engines because their number of users were already in millions. So there is a potential market that you cannot underestimate. The number of Bing users were growing because of the they have a better spam free results. Google search were getting adult themed safe results on safe mode. That alone makes me not trust Google. If you are willing to d a lot of work, you can try to be a Jack of all traded.

Yes. In my opinion bing ranking is structured when compared to google. Even though bing is still new, it is the second largest using search engine in the world.
Well, that's what is to be expected from microsoft. Anyway, bing might beat google someday. So, yeah we should keep bing in mind too, when we are dealing with SEO.

United States have a bigger population than Japan but Japan is seen as a very important market despite of its small population. Its a small market but it doesn't mean unprofitable. Google is like Hollywood in the USA and Let's say Bing is Japan. The actress Charlotte Kate Fox can't book a job in Hollywood and we know the competition in Hollywood is brutal. She tried to do acting in Japan and she became a household name there. She became a star and she became rich and famous. Google have a higher traffic but there is too much competition that standing out is hard. Why ignore the other search engines if they could be the one that give you the traffic Google can't provide because you will be buried in an ocean of overwhelming competition. Yes Google is an important market but you should not ignore the other potential market. You cannot underestimate a small population.

When it comes to search engines, then Google rules supreme, and its far and away more popular than all the other search engines combined.

While there's no harm in getting a good ranking on Bing and Yahoo for example, I'd concentrate all my efforts on trying to increase my Google ranking before anything else.

nytegeek

I would concentrate on Google. You can work on Bing, but if you do yahoo is likely a waste of time. Yahoo does not use their own search anymore, they contract out to Bing.

Definitely! Google may be the mainstream search engine for many countries, but it is not the only one. Every traffic counts, so you should maximize your SEO power for the rest of the power house. For example, if you are focusing on China market, then you will have to work on ranking up on baidu.
You are right on that. Although I am for Google, I agree that it is not the only search engine in town for Bing and Yahoo are still getting good hits at present.

With your mention of Baidu, I also want to mention Weibo which is the counterpart of Facebook in China. When we were in Beijing this January, I was glad that the hotel has wifi but I was really surprised that I couldn't access Facebook and Google. It was only then I learned that Google and Facebook are banned in China. Can you imagine the huge number of Chinese users who are being "exclusivized" by their government to access Baidu instead of Google and Weibo instead of Facebook? That's big money we are talking about.

Top Bottom