• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is it easy to make money buying and selling domains?

lludawg

It sounds easy enough to buy domains for cheap and sell them to others for a profit right?

After talking to one of my buddies, I think this might not be the case. He told me that he spent lots of time, money, and effort trying to make money this way. However, he was only able to break even.

I am wondering if anyone here has tried making money buy buying and selling domains. If you get lucky and get a popular domain for cheap, you could probably make some quick cash. Let me know if you have any experience or thoughts about this!

stargazer

I‘d read before that Domaining is a profitable online business. It is the registering/buying domain names then selling auctioning it.

So when I was paid by US$80.00+ for reading e-mails, I immediately registered domain names that were catchy enough to be sold. Being unarmed with sufficient knowledge and lack of advice from someone experienced in this line, I ended up with wishful thinking that I could have spent my 80 dollars for online necessities instead

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen many postings that show that people made lot of money by buying and selling domain names, I have also heard some people making losses. For this kind of business you need to have proper research and time. Till now I have not tried this business, but in future if I think certain domain names will fetch me some additional money then I will purchase domain names and will wait for them to sell.

Start with these tips if you want to make money by buying and selling domains. ;)
A domain name can consist of anything from a product to a culture. But, here are some good places to begin:
  • Geographic Areas
  • Business Names
  • Names that are Popular Now
  • Generic Names

I'm sure that it would be a good way to make some money. If you don't have to spend that much on the domains then you could make some good money from people. Especially if it's someone that is new to blogging or making a website. If it's a fair price then I'm sure that they would buy from you. I've never heard of people selling their own domains so it's news to me that people can make money this way. It's crazy how you can just about make money doing anything.

I have tried to resell domain names several times, and it truly isn't a business you want to get into. I would buy domain names for $5-10 and try to resell for $12-15, but I had no luck whatsoever. If I am not mistaking, I actually lost around $40 doing this sort of work and I do not plan on doing this again any time soon.
So, take my word for it. If you plan on making money I would recommend a survey and offer walls website! It's what I do, and I have earned over $160! :p

It sounds easy enough to buy domains for cheap and sell them to others for a profit right?

After talking to one of my buddies, I think this might not be the case. He told me that he spent lots of time, money, and effort trying to make money this way. However, he was only able to break even.

I am wondering if anyone here has tried making money buy buying and selling domains. If you get lucky and get a popular domain for cheap, you could probably make some quick cash. Let me know if you have any experience or thoughts about this!
It's meh :S It's like buying and selling cars, you have to know the industry and make good business. You have to know what to do to recover a domain and sell it at the right time. It's a bit risky, of course you will have bad deals, everyone has, but if you are good enough you will earn some good amount of money from the GOOD deals.

The difference between a good business man and a not so good one is the ratio between the good and bad businesses, that's what make you good or bad, earn good amounts of money, break even or lose money :p it's just too risky for me ahah

sbatz1972

This does not sound easy to me either. I suppose it would depend on the domain name purchased. However, a lot of the domain names that are out there and for sale are domains that have gone under prior to the expiration of the domain. This means they are not popular domains. I do not think I would venture into a field such as buying and selling domains. You would have to have a lot of money for something like that. I think the best domains out there that are not too cheap are the domains that are going to yield the biggest profit.

rightct

It could work, but people must keep in mind one thing that matters a lot: most clients usually don't look only for domain names, but also for already-made and written websites. Though restraining just to those who are in search of a killer domain name to start their business with, they look for aged ones rather than ones registered, say, a few months ago. The first thought that crosses buyers' mind is that it's solely registered to be sold thereafter, so that really decreases the confidence in the seller. I'm saying this because I've been on both sides, as a buyer and as a customer, and when I saw someone selling a few months-old domain it made me just look away from it.

Be wary that it isn't as easy as you people think. It gets a lot of time and investment to even sell one domain name, and to increase your chances of even being seen by many people it requires an investment of more than a few hundred dollars in the beginning. So unless you're truly confident that your domain name can be valuable for someone, just don't attempt going into this business. Personally, I find that it was a waste of time, but this doesn't mean it didn't work for other people though. Don't be discouraged if you think this might work for you!

If you have the time and the money to invest in something, most things can turn a profit. This particular 'scheme' appears to require a good bit of knowledge and research. I guess in some cases, it can just be good luck, but that's more likely to be a one off.

I don't think I'll join the ranks of domain flippers any time soon. Sure, if I happened across a great name I might give a try, but I don't think I'd try to make this my line of work or anything.

As has been said by someone it's like any other buying and selling business. You need to be on it all the time, see who might need what, have your presence on multiple web masters forums where you can find buyers. Make market for your self but if it had been that profitable I think many could make it their livelihood but if you can invest more, you can earn more...fwiw.

No it is not. If it was, then many people would be rich by now. It is like doing investment, you will need to have good eyes and proper judgement in order to really make money from this opportunity. Most people will not be able to do it when they first started, you will probably need to accumulate some experience before you can have serious gains.

Top Bottom