• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is it a good idea to host a forum and a blog in shared web hosting?

I have a shared hosting account in godaddy.
Even though they gave me a hard time, for the past 5 months or so, everything is just fine. So, I stuck with godaddy for the time being.
I own a forum at first but later I came to know that content is important for a site, so I have added a CMS system, wordpress to write blog articles from time to time, on the same hosting account.
Now, the page loading time increased by 1.7 seconds.
So, is it a good idea to host a forum and a blog in shared web hosting?

Dewlance

Its depend on visitors, If you don't have a enough visitors then its a good option to save money until you get to many visitors like 1k daily visit.

If your forum have a 1k users but only 5 to 10 users are active then still you don't need a VPS and Shared hosting is ok for you.

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
This question regarding a shared hosting service really depends on what your website, forum or blog caters. It does not matter how many members are using, but how many active members are online in your website, forum or a blog. If there are more active members visiting on a daily basis that would be the time for you to upgrade. Until you have many active members online its better to stay with shared hosting.

Brian

It all boils down to your hosting company and system resources. I have run multiple blogs and forums from a shared web hosting account. The more active they become, the more bandwidth you will start to use. When it becomes a strain on the system, then they will usually ask you to upgrade your account.

This question regarding a shared hosting service really depends on what your website, forum or blog caters. It does not matter how many members are using, but how many active members are online in your website, forum or a blog. If there are more active members visiting on a daily basis that would be the time for you to upgrade. Until you have many active members online its better to stay with shared hosting.
I am also thinking to launch a forum and I already have a blog on a shared hosting. Do I need another hosting account if I was to launch my forum, or can I associate my forum when the current hosting package?

fabio

There is nothing about shared hosting that prevents it from offering good performance, but many providers are known to be very bad at it.

Unfortunately, it's hard to get good reviews on it, as almost everything you find on google is trying to sell you an affiliated marketing link.

The best tip I have in my head is avoid hosting companies owned by EIG. It's easy to search for a list of them on google, but I wont try to list it here, as that information will get quickly outdated, given the speed they buy smaller companies. They have a very bad reputation anywhere I see their name mentioned.

Godaddy, that you're using, is also known as being very slow, so don't take it as a reference for what you can get with shared hosting.

@fabio What is wrong with GoDaddy? I have been using GoDaddy for 5 years now. It hosts my blog for one year. I just renew my subscription before it expires every year. What do you mean by "very slow"? Is it on the loading process that you are referring to?

fabio

I just read some users reporting it being slow, as in your pages taking longer to load as it would if hosted on a fast server. They supposedly put too much pages in a server, overcrowding it.

I never tested the service myself, but considering godaddy pages themselves load slowly when I'm configuring something on my domain, I'm not going to test it.

I just read some users reporting it being slow, as in your pages taking longer to load as it would if hosted on a fast server. They supposedly put too much pages in a server, overcrowding it.

I never tested the service myself, but considering godaddy pages themselves load slowly when I'm configuring something on my domain, I'm not going to test it.
I got what you mean on the slow loading of pages due to heavy load the server is handling. That is possible, but the webhosting site could carry sites they hosted without ado. It could also be blamed for the integrity of the computer itself which hard disk, ram are so filled that they take much time to load the the sites. Or it could also be blamed on the virus present in the memory of the computer.

Top Bottom