• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is enabling comments for your article a good thing or not?

Many article sites have a commenting section, so the readers can say their opinion about the issue the article is concerning with, they can criticize or praise your work or interact with the other people who commented on the article. The most popular commenting service most Article sites use is Discuss because you can universally use it to multiple article sites. While mother let's people comment with their Facebook or twitter account.

One of the most popular article sites when it comes to wrestling is Diva dirt. It is an article site that focuses with women's wrestling. Despite of the site's popularity the owner of the site decided to disable their commenting option because members became disrespectful about an article about a shooting that happened at the WWE performance center. The owner of the site hated that people are making jokes on an incident were people got shot by a gun.

I also remember the article site Popsci also disabled commenting because people started to become hostile on each other. Its an article site for Science but people turned it into a war zone.

Years ago there is also a religious blog that disabled comments because it is invaded by Atheists who tries to make a debate out of everything.

I heard having commented on your article helps it to be more profitable, here is my question though, would you disable commenting if people started to become mean and insensitive?

Last edited:
All my blogs are enabled for commenting. You are right, it helps the profitability of the site (or the blog) if comments are welcome. The major newspaper here has gained more following when they allowed comment in their online version. On the other hand, the risk of allowing comments is in getting rowdy or disrespectful comments especially on a hot or controversial issue. But then again, as far as profitability is concerned, you earn more with those comments.

I believe a blog site is not complete if two way communication is not there. Every comment gives us something to learn and hence a comment section is a must for a successful blog. Moreover, we cannot be our perfect reviewers. But through others comments we can find our weaknesses and strengths and act accordingly. It gives an opportunity for a blogger to personally get in touch the readers. There is high chance of getting loyal readers through this activity.

But it is a reality that there may be some rude comments sometimes which may result in conflicts. But that doesn't mean that we should deactivate this useful feature for ever.

I have over one thousand comments on my various hubpages articles. I have never disabled commenting option on my articles and I have never deleted comments except couple of times when the commentators spammed or wrote hate messages against me. However, when the comment section turns to a war zone, it is advisable to disable comment. Interestingly, I would never do this because at least the article is getting traffic.

Generally, the purpose of the writing sites is to attract the people, and thus increasing the views for a certain site. Blocking the comment area will work against this idea, and this will impart an impact on the revenue of the site.

However, every site has some rules and guidelines to be followed by the members. If someone becomes abusive towards another, the admin can easily block that account. There is no need to disable the comment section, which is the main attraction of a writing forum.

In my opinion an article should have a comments section as its the easiest way to get people's different opinions on the topic the article was discussing.

Some people can go to far though and if the comments turn into a full blown argument and it becomes a name calling contest then I can understand why in certain situations a comment section would get disabled.

Most of the sites I used to visit has moderation. They enabled comments but it undergoes moderation. The positive with enabling comments can generate communication with your audience or your audiences can communicate towards each other. When posting something controversial, you are likely to generate lots of negative comments. Through word of mouth, some people might visit your post and earn more income.

However, I am not always after the money that I earn on my site. I still need some respect from the audience, likewise, protecting your audience from rowdy behavior. To end this, I will enable comments but should be moderated.

Having a moderator to vet the comments before they are applied to the site is one way to ensure nothing inappropriate gets posted but depending on the size of the site and the amount of comments you get, it can be a time consuming job.

While its true that not all sites are there simply to make a profit, I'd image that most sites would have to at least break even to survive, therefore keeping the members you have happy is the minimum they'd expect, and in return will benefit you.

Enabling comments is a good because it gives the visitor and readers to have their say. I have also enabled comments on my blog articles. However, enabling comments also has drawback. You receive a lot of spam comments. Every day I delete over 50 spam comments on my blog articles.

Enabling comments is a good because it gives the visitor and readers to have their say. I have also enabled comments on my blog articles. However, enabling comments also has drawback. You receive a lot of spam comments. Every day I delete over 50 spam comments on my blog articles.
Hi, in my site in Blogjob, spam comments are blocked? Is it possible to block the spam comments?

Mihailo

I think that is a good thing a you must do that. Especially when you write a tech article, you probably want to see other opinions. Or when you write health article, comments are really important.

I think that comments is a great way to encourage active discussions on your article or topic at hand. These active discussions will allow your article to have a longer 'lifespan' and not expire so soon.

I thought about this matter again. Based on everybody's opinions, it has its good and bad side. I do think there might be trolls coming, but on the other side, there were opinions that can help you improve your site.

Akismet is a good platform that is used to capture spam, because of it I have never seen spam on my blog or anything, it just deletes them, once it detects it's not genuine and unrelated, so you don't have to be bothered.
That is really wonderful. But how would it sense if a particular comment is spam or not? I am just curious to know about this. If it actually works it should be a mandatory feature that every blog should have. Thanks for sharing this information.

As two sides of a coin, enabling comments in a blog has certain merits and demerits. But I believe merits over weigh demerits in this case. Without comments a blog will feel like a radio, there could only be a one way communication. If the a audience wanted to shared their knowledge/experience there is no way for that. Some comments could really add life to your article.

Akismet is a good platform that is used to capture spam, because of it I have never seen spam on my blog or anything, it just deletes them, once it detects it's not genuine and unrelated, so you don't have to be bothered.
That is really wonderful. But how would it sense if a particular comment is spam or not? I am just curious to know about this. If it actually works it should be a mandatory feature that every blog should have. Thanks for sharing this information.

As two sides of a coin, enabling comments in a blog has certain merits and demerits. But I believe merits over weigh demerits in this case. Without comments a blog will feel like a radio, there could only be a one way communication. If the a audience wanted to shared their knowledge/experience there is no way for that. Some comments could really add life to your article.

rf-harris

It is a good thing to have some useful comments with your article but there is every chance that you get some spam comments as well who just want to promote their website/services and these comments don't add any value to your article so you should surely get rid of these comments. So you should first moderate the comments manually before publishing them with your article.

I am thinking where did I hear about Akismet then I realized it is used in Blogjob. In my blog articles, there has been accumulated number of spams in my blog articles but were blocked by Akismet. So I will suggest that one for personal blogsites.

I am thinking where did I hear about Akismet then I realized it is used in Blogjob. In my blog articles, there has been accumulated number of spams in my blog articles but were blocked by Akismet. So I will suggest that one for personal blogsites.
I think there would be more softwares like Akismet, which will save people's time and help with managing websites, forums and blogs. Since I only use Wordpress, I haven't required the need to search for one, since Akismet comes preinstalled. And it seems to know genuine commentors and all I have to do is approve them, it doesn't give me the option to approve spam though it just deletes them.

I think there would be more softwares like Akismet, which will save people's time and help with managing websites, forums and blogs. Since I only use Wordpress, I haven't required the need to search for one, since Akismet comes preinstalled. And it seems to know genuine commentors and all I have to do is approve them, it doesn't give me the option to approve spam though it just deletes them.
Yeah. Spam comments were automatically deleted or unapproved. I also use Wordpress which was used by BlogJob. I wonder if Blogger has its own blocker too. I checked my blog site right now and it has so far deleted more than 400 spam comments. That's a big amount and I thank Akismet for that.

Top Bottom