• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hyphens in domain names

Kaynil

What do you think of using hyphens to separate words in domain names?
Sometimes is a way to get a domain url close to what you wanted if the original one was taken. It can also help with clarity to avoid people misreading domain name.

Do you think is a good idea to use them?

Do you like them or do you tend to avoid using them in your webs?

It's a bad idea, because people won't be able to remember the domains well. In fact, a domain called Used-Cars.com is actually worse than one named UsedCars.net. However, if your not interested in people remembering your domain, then hyphens might be a good choice. For instance, an exact match domain still has a lot of SEO power, though not as much as in the past.

Last edited:

fuzyon

It's a rule of thumb to not use it, but many sites had hyphens in their domain names a decade ago when the internet wasn't as popular as it is right now. I tend to avoid them as much as possible, as Jason76 pointed it will make your site harder to remember and it will also sound worse. A domain name without weird punctuation and breaks is so much cleaner.

I don't know if I am right. Domain name doesn't have hyphen. It is the period that is used in separating the word or name. The hyphen is only used for the title of the post or article. Have you not noticed it? Hyphen is used to separate every word of the title to avoid reading by the computer or the machine as one word or term.

It's a bad idea, because people won't be able to remember the domains well. In fact, a domain called Used-Cars.com is actually worse than one named UsedCars.net. However, if your not interested in people remembering your domain, then hyphens might be a good choice. For instance, an exact match domain still has a lot of SEO power, though not as much as in the past.
I have to agree with this. I made this mistake with an old blog. I used a hyphen thinking it would make the name more "clear" but it just made my blog harder to find. Even my family and friends who wanted to visit my site were always asking, "What's the name again?" So, yeah, I'd avoid using a hyphenated name.

That makes sense too. It doesn't necessarily need to be an exact match any longer. You can create a catchy, memorable, name that goes beyond "used cars" (as is the example). You can keep it simple too though, like Best Used Cars or something.

Have you tried a name generator?

I am not for any punctuation marks in the domain name that includes a hypen. People will not remember punctuation marks in the domain name, they will only remember name. Thus, your domain name must be short, easy to remember, meaningful and with no punctuation marks. The best domain is the one that is one or two word.

belovedad

I wouldn't recommend using them. They can be easy to forget/ignore and I only see websites use them to negate people from visiting the original website they are copying or something. Just merge the words or whatever but avoid hyphens.

rz3300

I used to be alarmed whenever something was foreign was in there, but it just seems like things are getting longer and more complicated. Still alarming at times for me, but I am getting used to it more and more.

kaka135

I have to agree with this. I made this mistake with an old blog. I used a hyphen thinking it would make the name more "clear" but it just made my blog harder to find. Even my family and friends who wanted to visit my site were always asking, "What's the name again?" So, yeah, I'd avoid using a hyphenated name.

That makes sense too. It doesn't necessarily need to be an exact match any longer. You can create a catchy, memorable, name that goes beyond "used cars" (as is the example). You can keep it simple too though, like Best Used Cars or something.

Have you tried a name generator?
I used to think using hyphen makes the name clearer too, but I have been reading about naming our domain and hyphen is a big NO. Yes, I agree with you, when we tell our domain name, we don't always spell out the "hyphen". I don't know about name generator. It's interesting to find out that. I am not good at thinking of a name. :D Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom