• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How many strikes does it take before you ban a member?

I decided to create this thread because I notice some members here seemed to own their own sites and I am a person who aspire to have my own site. How many violations would it take before you decide to ban a member?

It seemed like banning a person for a single offense might be wasteful because there is a chance that member will change his or her ways and become a good member. Obvious bots and spammers deserves to be banned right away though.

Probably three strikes would be enough to ban a member. You have already given him/her two chances, but he/she still didn't follow the forum's rules. That simply means that he/she doesn't have respect for you (as a forum owner) and for your site. I guess that's the time you should kick him/her out of the niche.

In the case of Copy paste spammers, Are you guys still going to give them a second or 3rd chance? Three strikes seemed to be justifiable but each strike should also come with a warning. There are some persistent members who will join the site again under a new identity but admins can know if they were fake due to IP address so this makes me think. Should banned members be given a chance now they were under a new identity? In my decade of forum member experience, I encountered such people.

Last edited:
In our office website's forum, we never had banned any member yet. For erring members, what we do is to block the username and the IP so other members using the same IP would be affected and that's okay with us. Most of what we encounter in our forum are the annoying spammers who would post something and later on would be posting ads to promote their product. Most of those spammers are promoting their links - maybe a site or blog. But we never delete those threads, we just move it to an exclusive board for the record.

Back in the days when I was adminning/modding forums, it was usually three strikes. I had a ban-happy friend who would have preferred one strike, but that never really accounted for honest mistakes. Three always seemed to be the threshold where you could tell if someone was just trolling or spamming.

There was one forum, though, where the staff let a troll go on for months before finally wielding the ban hammer. The forum had a reputation for being a friendly, welcoming place, so no one wanted to play bad cop. So having a clear threshold is key.

I would say about 3 times before I would ban them. I have heard horror stories from people who say that they had a hard time with trolls on a forum they were on. The worst part was that the admin did nothing about it. I was actually shocked to hear that because I would never let that happen to a site that I run. The troll was so bad that they were making a ton a members leave because they didn't want to deal with them.

lludawg

I usually give 2 warnings and on the third strike they get banned. 3 strikes and you're out! Fortunately, I have never actually had to ban a member on my forum. The highest I have gotten to is 2 strikes. The member did change his behaviour after those 2 strikes though.

Here is another question. Say a member has 2 strikes. Is there any way they can get rid of a strike?

I would say about 3 times before I would ban them. I have heard horror stories from people who say that they had a hard time with trolls on a forum they were on. The worst part was that the admin did nothing about it. I was actually shocked to hear that because I would never let that happen to a site that I run. The troll was so bad that they were making a ton a members leave because they didn't want to deal with them.
I don't want to have such negative presence on a forum I will own. If I wont ban a member who is causing chaos that would mean I am encouraging such behavior. That is not something I wanted in a community. I want a community were people will logout with a smiling face. Sometimes cyberbullying leads to suicide. That is not what I wanted to encourage to members. I want my community to be safe from trolls.

I don't want to have such negative presence on a forum I will own. If I wont ban a member who is causing chaos that would mean I am encouraging such behavior. That is not something I wanted in a community. I want a community were people will logout with a smiling face. Sometimes cyberbullying leads to suicide. That is not what I wanted to encourage to members. I want my community to be safe from trolls.
Exactly, which is why I don't understand why people let that happen. If I did own a forum then I would never let that happen. I mean it's also a good way to lose people coming to your blog. So I mean in the end it's not even worth it. I would want to run a community where everyone was happy. Oh yeah, and people don't even realize how much the things that they say can hurt people. I mean I don't even know what they get from making someone else feel bad. I think that most people want to have their forums safe from trolls, and those will be the forums that are good and will be successful. The ones that don't care will be the ones that are going to fail in the end. People just won't want to post on there. I know that I wouldn't want to be on a forum like that.

I just lost points because someone reported me, but I'm trying to figure out what I said to get reported. I have not disrespected anyone for me to get reported. I haven't cursed or said anything bad. I did not break any forum rule or anything, so what the heck? I'm confused as heck and mad about that -_-

Maybe you accidentally reported your self, It happened to me before because I was so sleepy and I didn't know I clicked something. There is also a possibility someone accidentally reported someone because they were using tablet. We humans have fat fingers and those fast the touch screen can accidentally hit by a finger that is just trying to zoom the screen or scroll down. That is just my theory though. If you really did a violation, you will received a private message about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom