• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How does free web hosting companies survive the tough competition?

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
I see many web hosting companies offer free website hosting, I wanted to know how these web hosting companies survive the market, how they earn money and how is the support provided.

I'd imagine that most of the free web hosting companies will also have a paid area also, and that's what they will rely on to make their money.

Many people will start off as a free member and only be offered a limited service, but then if they like the look of the paid for service then they'll sign up for that instead.

I think no hosting company can survive with mere free users. There is a marking strategy behind this. Almost all hosting companies have a paid option too which gives more freedom to members. A person who joins the company as a free user is a potential paid customer for the company. So it is very essential to give him good service to induce him to go for a paid service. If he is able to grow his business, the existing free setup will not be sufficient to meet the demands of his growing customer base. So, he will have no other option but to opt for a paid hosting option. If he is satisfied with the current hosting company, most probably he will stick with the same company for a paid hosting service.

Some hosting companies even earn money by displaying ads on servers. But sometimes too many ads could be a discouraging factor for new members.

It's all about the potential, and every site will want to acquire as many free users as possible in the hope that at least some will subscribe to the paid members area.

At the end of the day it's a business that needs to make money, they won't be sustainable for long if all they have is free members on their books.

fabio

Whenever I find something that looks too good to be true, I do a google search for "name-of-the-thing scam". And almost always I discover that it was really too good to be true. From the most known free hosting offers on the internet, I found people reporting they were scammed by them.

• 000webhosting - there is people claiming that they hosting is terrible, but the scam happens in their affiliate program
  • freehostia - your site will get filled with malware
  • freehostingarea - with less than 200 views a day, they claimed a user his bandwidth exceeded the free usage limit (that is easy to reach just with the usual crawlers on the web searching your site).

Let's consider the following factors could possibly bring those free websites hosting survived:

1. Affiliate Marketing
2. Sister site of a major website
3. Donations
4. Sponsored site

Those are probable reasons why, in spite of free to use their facility, those free websites hosting have able to get through the marketing by surpassing the odds and the hardship of a strict competition among the established paid websites hosting.

Top Bottom