• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How do you deal with members evading bans?

To what I can recall, I haven't had members evade their bans before. However, if I was to have members who evaded their ban I would most likely keep banning them as I see this as a punishable offensive on my forum.

Some people are able to reregister even if they were IP blocked because they either have knowledge on using VPN or they were renting to cheap cyber cafes or public wifi spots. I think another thing you do is have new members go through a probation period before they can be officially a member so you can weed out that member you don't want.

fabio

IP blocking is commonly used, but it's a stupid move, as almost everyone get a dynamic IP from their ISP. By IP blocking you punish everyone using the same ISP as the provider equally. While e-mail validation is easily bypassed by spam bots, it's good for keeping trolls out, as you make them work a little by creating another e-mail account.

Why would a troll be so persistent in rejoining a forum that keeps banning him anyway?

IP blocking is commonly used, but it's a stupid move, as almost everyone get a dynamic IP from their ISP. By IP blocking you punish everyone using the same ISP as the provider equally. While e-mail validation is easily bypassed by spam bots, it's good for keeping trolls out, as you make them work a little by creating another e-mail account.

Why would a troll be so persistent in rejoining a forum that keeps banning him anyway?
I also have the same doubt. Why that person is after the same forum even after being banned for a number of times? What is his motive behind that? He may be losing his precious time and sometimes even money in spamming the forum time and again and he is almost sure that he will be banned today or tomorrow. Then why somebody do such a blunder?

I think IP blocking is the only way to go. But you can engage other members to find out any trolls at the earliest so that you can ban him before making any serious damage to the forum. But you need to find out what is his actual objective?

I like the probation period idea. You can watch the new posters to see how they respond and such. Although that can be pretty tedious, it can eliminate many issues such as spammers and such. There are ways you can also set up for alerts to certain words that that particular poster uses that will prompt you when they find a way in again. My favorite thing I finally did with mine to make life easier is to make it funny. My forum is set up that when a person types certain words in, the system automatically types something else in. So it makes it funny and frustrates the troll or spammer while making everyone else laugh. It is much more enjoyable that way.

That's what we also do with spammers - blocking the IP address and punish all others that are using that particular IP address. And I agree that some of those spammers come back again using another IP. But what can we do with that? The mods in our forum are aware of those spammers since they are posting a particular product so they are identified. But that's the only thing we do - block their IP and avoid replying violently to their post. As far as we are concerned in the forum, those spammers are also considered content providers.

IP blocking will surely block all of the users who uses the same ISP. I think freelance companies will not block due to one human error or by cheating.

Top Bottom