• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How are staff members chosen?

I believe that model members who volunteered and applied are the ones who were chosen to become staff members. Out of all the applicants they will choose the one who is always active, follows the rules of the community and last but not the least a person who is respected by the other members. We don't want someone who violates the rules to have power in the community. We don't want someone who is hated by the members to become a moderator with the power to ban someone. The standards of who will be given the power will all depend on the one owner of the site.

Our forum only gets staff from people we personally know. There were instances when staff would abuse their authority that would create friction with the other staff members. That's a neat lesson learned by other forums that we know. And we always provide honorarium pay to our staff, be they moderators or admin (but usually admin work is relegated to my office assistant). We don't believe in volunteerism when it comes to business. The Chinese are against that concept.

lludawg

I also acquire my staff through an application process during certain times in the year. I have members send in their applications. I usually get quite a few. I go through them all and choose one or two members who I believe would fit well on the team. I have to make sure I trust them fully though so usually they are members that have been active on my forum for a while.

I also acquire my staff through an application process during certain times in the year. I have members send in their applications. I usually get quite a few. I go through them all and choose one or two members who I believe would fit well on the team. I have to make sure I trust them fully though so usually they are members that have been active on my forum for a while.
Yeah it is important to choose someone you can trust because if you hired the wrong person, you will end up having someone abusing his or her power. I remember on an old forum where I was a member there is this member named Ashley and she started as a very sweet girl but when she became a mod, she abused her power by humiliating people because she knows they won't oppose her because she have the power to ban people. She edits the posts of other people and change their comment into something like "I am stupid"

People left the board because her abuse of power rubs the people the wrong way.

Before this forum shut down for a few days, it was asking its members to apply for positions. I remember that. And they also had contests going on where you could win $100 for doing a certain task

Yeah it is important to choose someone you can trust because if you hired the wrong person, you will end up having someone abusing his or her power. I remember on an old forum where I was a member there is this member named Ashley and she started as a very sweet girl but when she became a mod, she abused her power by humiliating people because she knows they won't oppose her because she have the power to ban people. She edits the posts of other people and change their comment into something like "I am stupid"

People left the board because her abuse of power rubs the people the wrong way.
This reminds me of a mod in one local forum that I had been a member for a time. It was obvious that I was getting popular in the forum because of my humorous posts. A quiet thread suddenly becomes active when I post on it. That's how I was on that forum. But this mod was envious of my popularity that he would rebut my post whenever he finds a hole - trying to find fault in my posts. I tried to live with it because I could see that majority of the community was supporting me. But when that mod posted something that humiliated me (for my wrong English), I decided to quit. Now, members of that forum are sending me friend requests in Facebook... but I just ignore them all.

This reminds me of a mod in one local forum that I had been a member for a time. It was obvious that I was getting popular in the forum because of my humorous posts. A quiet thread suddenly becomes active when I post on it. That's how I was on that forum. But this mod was envious of my popularity that he would rebut my post whenever he finds a hole - trying to find fault in my posts. I tried to live with it because I could see that majority of the community was supporting me. But when that mod posted something that humiliated me (for my wrong English), I decided to quit. Now, members of that forum are sending me friend requests in Facebook... but I just ignore them all.
Well you should have make use of that opportunity to build your own forum and grow popularity with the old members. Chances are they will come with you if what you claimed is true. Then you will be forum master which should be quite profitable.

Well you should have make use of that opportunity to build your own forum and grow popularity with the old members. Chances are they will come with you if what you claimed is true. Then you will be forum master which should be quite profitable.
Some of the members of the forum did exactly that. They organized themselves into a formal group and created their own website and forum like a business. But I declined their invitation because my only purpose in joining that forum is camaraderie. It was really fun when I attended the first EB (eyeball) and everyone seemed to have known me personally because of our encounters in the forum. And after the division, what followed was another division until there are now 4 such forums.

This is join to be my qualification for promoting a member to become a mod:

1. The person have leadership qualities- I want someone who is respected by everyone, I don't want an evil dictator feared by the members, I want someone people actually looks up to.

2. Someone who is passionate about the forum's main genre- if I want to make a forum about Ice Hockey, The admin or moderator should be someone who lives and breathes Ice hockey.

3. Someone who is active I want a member who is always present, how canon moderate a forum if you are only active once a month.

4. Someone worth thrusting- I don't want another Ashley in my life.

Some of the members of the forum did exactly that. They organized themselves into a formal group and created their own website and forum like a business. But I declined their invitation because my only purpose in joining that forum is camaraderie. It was really fun when I attended the first EB (eyeball) and everyone seemed to have known me personally because of our encounters in the forum. And after the division, what followed was another division until there are now 4 such forums.
They probably will not make it far from here on. It is always a mistake to split power when you are not ready. If I were them, I would propose cooperating and build a solid forum first. If there is a chance, then break up from there. Something like the Ebay/Paypal saga.

I accept applications and I also ask some of the best members in my community if they wanted to be on the staff team. I have seen a few great tips that I will probably start using as well.

Top Bottom