• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Have your staff members ever abused there powers?

I experienced a mod who abuses her power before. There Is this moderator named Ashley and the way she abuses power is disgusting. We know mods can edit posts of other people and she abused that by replacing what people say and make them sound stupid. She even tried pitting people against each other. I encountered this mean person. When I was 14 but I still can't forget what she did. I can't believed she is allowed to become a mod and turned everything sour. I am happy that I don't post on that forum anymore. People abandoned the site because they had enough of her.

Since I got reported for doing absolutely nothing wrong, I'm going to say YES!! yes, they probably do abuse their power. I joined a forum that had this very strict moderator. The members including myself had never broken any rules, it was a peaceful forum about anything and everything, but if he did not like what we said, or did not agree with what we said, he would block us or ban us for a few days and then literally tell us why, and he was very honest too. Like if I said that I disliked cats, he would block me. It was wierd, so I left

On my forum, staff members have not abused there powers yet. I hope this never happens to me.
Can you please tell here the URL to your Forum or at least saying what the name is so we can search it please? From what I read on your other posts about it I might be interested in becoming a member or at least learn something from it! :p

I am glad that our staff are all polite and careful in doing something that is negative. Before they block an abusive member in the forum, the staff would ask my approval. Our staff are somehow trained in handling users because the forum is an online community that means a society composed of different types of people. If we just chop down one and every other abusive member then we might run out of members. And it is also be understood that there are mood swings and a bad post can be a result of that. In short, our mods are law abiding and forgiving as well.

Right now I do not have any staff on my site. It is just me. However, I have been to sites where the staff did abuse they power. If they did not like a comment you made or disagree with it, they would either not approve of it to go through or delete it.

A moderator should be Neutral, even if a member says an opinion that against their beliefs, they cannot ban that person as long as he or she is of breaking the rules or crossing the line. A moderator's job is a to make sure the members are following the rules and it doesn't matter if that member doesn't support the Presidential Candidate the moderator wanted to win. The world will be a very boring place if everyone agrees with each other. We are humans with our own free will and individuality.

Absolutely @The_Arctic_Outcry. I could not agree with you more. It is like a professional business. You want your employees, regardless of their own views, to treat all your customers the same. Otherwise you wont have any. With a forum, you are dealing with a world of customers and not just local ones.... therefore you need to keep a neutral stance on all issues. Otherwise you wont have anyone there.

Sapett

Fortunately, I have never had staff members abuse their powers. I've been lucky to have really professional people working on my staff teams. I've always heard "horror stories" of staff hires gone wrong, but I thankfully have yet to experience that myself.

Even though I've been lucky enough not to have experienced it yet, I'd imagine it's quite common for mods on a forum to abuse their power.

From experience of using other forums, I often found that the mods weren't exactly sure what they was doing and because of that they felt like they needed to stamp a bit of authority on there for no reason. Just so people didn't forget who they were dealing with.

Top Bottom