• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Forced registration

I hate it when I am forced to register to a forum when my only intention is to lurk and read discussion then leave. Usually it take me multiple visits before I register to a forum. I know many Forum owners were pushing for forced registration to the lurkers who just want to read but I will not register to a forum if I am not to see what kind of discussions that forums have. Many Forum owners said that Forced registration works but the question is this:

Is that person going to stay?

I think there is a better way to integrate forced registration, Let that person lurk the site for few hours before you invite them to join. Give them some sort of a "free trial" before you force them to register. I hate it when I am forced to register when I don't what does that site have to offer.

What do you think about forced registration as a web surfer?

If you are a forum owner, Would you force lurkers to join?

I wouldn't force them to join. It happened to me sometimes, that's why I have a "spam email" and a false nickname plus password, I just sign up, read what I have to read and never go back to there again.

For me forcing you to sign up is not the best way of getting people into your forum and for me it will never work. It only does the opposite...

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
How to add forced registration to your MetroBrokersOnline agent site
You will need to contact a web developer for it.

Well coming to the topic, I hate the idea of forced registrations and I will vote against it. Force Registrations can only help in increasing the members count but not the posts. A member will only post if he/she likes the forum niche.

If I stumble on a thread after searching something Google and it asks me to register before I can read any replies, I'll just leave. If I was a forum owner, I'd let people read 5 or so pages of replies each day, then ask them to register.
I think it's the perfect balance between increasing the number of registrations and not angering people who might have just stumbled on the forum looking for something.

@salinitygull I agree, people need to know what kind of forum they were about to enter before they will register. People who naturally decided to register on forums are the ideal members to get and not members who just want to read a content then leave. People who joined the gradual way are the ideal members. I think people need to have a little taste of the site before making them decide to join.

I have seen forums like this and I also hate it. There was one forum that I was thinking about joining but wasn't sure because I wanted to see what it was like first and if I would be able to join in the conversation. I don't want to sign up for a forum if I don't know if I can also talk on it. It seemed like it would be a good one, but I didn't join just because I didn't want to take that chance. I'm sure that it was a good forum, but I don't like signing up for them if I don't know what they will be like.

I notice the ones that uses this force registration are the sites that ranks high in Google search results. Just because they have a high traffic, it doesn't mean they should be harrasingpeople to join.

I think forced registration can be acceptable if they give the person few hours or pages of lurking before you tell them to register. I believe people are more eager to join if they expirience a little bit of teasing. Depraving them right away will just make them leave the site and avoid it.

I also hate being forced to register, and there is a high possibility that I would never come back to that site ever again. I mean, can't lurkers have the freedom to read the discussions first? If it somehow sparked any interest in them, they will eventually sign up, but forcing them to do so? I think that's a big NO.

stargazer

The feeling is mutual here.

I hate forced registration, too. I also hate social media pages or sites that need to be liked before one is allowed to see its content.

However, what I hate most are those that request access to my friends’ list before my registration is approved.:mad:

I am not so familiar with online privacy measures. But I value my friends' list so much that I can’t share it publicly to other sites that might be dropping my name in spamming everyone .

Bilby

There is a place for forced registration where open dissemination of the threads would be undesirable for the core members or inappropriate for the public. For example forums on adults-only topics where having all readers or users make an age statement reduces potential liability of the forum owner (eg under U.S. Obscenity laws).

Other groups may be sharing material the wish to monetize later and do not want open to potential pirates, or may get their value by being for topic experts only that are screened by mods, or for sufferers of a sensitive health conditions and approved out by recommendation by an existing member. I could go on, but the gist is that this setting does have legitimate uses.

I have gone to some forums where you cannot read anything unless you register. Even if the forum promises something with its name, I shy away because I feel like being exploited. My usual attitude for such forums is my precious time. Why waste time and effort on registration when you are not sure what's in store for you there? In the olden times, I used to register wantonly and when I find the site uninteresting, I just leave and forget about it. However, there are some sites that email me of their updates or reminders. That's the risk.

I aslo seen something like this but I am very clear about I am using internet from 5 years and spending so much time daily like 9,to 12 hours a day I joined many forums and posting there I seen some are forcing to register but they didn't succussed in making activeness of the forum.

Alienating lurkers is a risky process because rather than having that person to register, they will end up not visiting the site ever again. They will remember it to avoid it. It seemed to be working for some people that's why many forum owners are using it. I believe there is a way to use forced registration without being a jerk and that is to let people lurk for few hours of few pages. Let them read some content first before making them register. I will not register on a forum if I don't know what the site is even about. I won't eat on a restaurant if I haven't read the menu first.

Tal

I think it's unnecessary, because those who want to take apart in a forum, will do it anyway.
Those who just want to read won't be active in the forum just because they were forced to register to the site, so this registration is pretty much useless.

Raiden

@Tal - Agreed. Forcing users to register will just get you an account with no statistics - the person will read what they wanted to read, then leave - and that doesn't look very good in your board's statistics. Also, it's really irritating when people do this. If a forum does it, I just leave.

@Tal - Agreed. Forcing users to register will just get you an account with no statistics - the person will read what they wanted to read, then leave - and that doesn't look very good in your board's statistics. Also, it's really irritating when people do this. If a forum does it, I just leave.
I felt harassed when they do that to me. No one tells me to register on a site but me. It should be my decision and not theirs. If they don't want me to lurk on their site, I will just leave as well. Alienating lurkers can potentially alienate a member who will be really active and loyal. It took me multiple visits to a forum before I decided to finally register and I had been on that site since I was 12 years old. I am 30 years old now. Lurkers have a potential to be a long term member if they organically decided to join on their own.

I honestly prefer forums that require no registration because I do not like registering for things. So I can relate to what you're saying. I do like to lurk sometimes, but if I like the forum (like this forum) and see and read what it is about, I will totally sign up for it

Those forum owners who wants to alienate the lurkers didn't know that what they do drive the lurkers away and the Lurkers actually provide traffic and we know the traffic is what gives them sponsors. Without sponsors they won't be making any money. Many lurkers will eventually become members if they were able to make a multiple time visit. They forum owner is just driving traffic and advertisements away from their sites with this forced registration they were pushing.

Top Bottom