• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Facebook vs youtube - who will win the race?

There is a silent war going on between YouTube and Facebook these days. It all started when Facebook decided to add video feature in the social networking site. Facebook is continuously working hard to improve its video features from time to time and the latest addition is 360 degree viewing experience.

There is no doubt that YouTube is the largest video sharing website in the World. But at the same time we cannot ignore the underlying potential of the huge active customer base of Facebook. In reality Facebook can pose a serious threat to YouTube in its video sharing business.

Nobody knows who will survive in this race. What are your views on this, who will be the ultimate winner?

Facebook is planning to rival YouTube's partnership program. So people will get paid to post videos on Facebook soon. YouTube partnership is very profitable to some people because they were able to quit their day job because of it. I wonder if Facebook will be able to build up a person who can rival Pewdiepie who is now a multimillionaire. Also will there be a Facebook video that can rival the views of Gangnam Style?

YouTube is more established when it comes to Facebook but Facebook have more users than Google Plus.

I had a glimpse of a CNN news the other night (not clear on what the news is all about) about a chart that shows Facebook is the number 1 in terms of hits and Google is just number 2. If that means anything then a battle royale in the digital world is in the offing. Google has their Google Plus which is a social media that can pose a threat to the supremacy of Facebook. It's a tossup on who would reign supreme in the end but the winner will be mankind.

Facebook as more users than any website and if it chooses to rival another, such as YouTube by incorporating videos, then it will automatically become a very dangerous rival.

I think YouTube will always be the first site people will go to upload or watch videos but with Facebook having the amount of users it does, YouTube would be wrong not to worry.

Only time will tell who the winner of this war will be.

Both YouTube and Facebook have their own strengths and weaknesses.

YouTube is backed by the Internet giant called Google who can come up with any innovative ideas to support YouTube. Moreover, YouTube is still an established video sharing platform. Users generally feel that it is easy to use YouTube than Facebook. Facebook sometimes freezes and recent incidents are just examples. In monetizing its videos it has the support of Google Adsense, the king in Internet advertising.

But at the same Facebook is backed by a huge customer base of more than 1.5 billion active users where for YouTube this is only close to .75 billion. There is an emotional bonding among Facebook users which cannot be found in YouTube. Facebook is more mobile friendly than YouTube. I think this is an important factor that can change the destiny. Facebook is stronger with Whatsapp, Oculus VR (video advertising platform) and Atlas (ad server technology) which can support in its journey towards victory.

I had a glimpse of a CNN news the other night (not clear on what the news is all about) about a chart that shows Facebook is the number 1 in terms of hits and Google is just number 2. If that means anything then a battle royale in the digital world is in the offing. Google has their Google Plus which is a social media that can pose a threat to the supremacy of Facebook. It's a tossup on who would reign supreme in the end but the winner will be mankind.
Google Plus will never be an threat to Facebook, majority of users only use it for reading YouTube notifications or synching it with their mobile game. Facebook also owns Instagram so it is very dominant as a social network. Facebook is more threatening to Youtube because Facebook instantly have an audience for their videos. Also many popular YouTube stars like Jenna Marbles and Ray William Johnson just quit YouTube. YouTube is losing stars while Facebook stars are rising. In my country, Facebook stars are making TV appearances.

Rubie

Youtube is known to be a video sharing website while Facebook is known for a lot of entertainment features that obviously made it to become a top as a social media site. So what will possibly happens if the idea of Youtube's existence is added as one of Facebook's feature. Might as well, really threatening for Youtube.

Youtube is known to be a video sharing website while Facebook is known for a lot of entertainment features that obviously made it to become a top as a social media site. So what will possibly happens if the idea of Youtube's existence is added as one of Facebook's feature. Might as well, really threatening for Youtube.
I think you are right. Facebook having a great customer base can use video sharing feature as an added advantage and it would be easy to populate the videos that YouTube does. They can come up with some innovative ideas to make it more attractive with social networking. But in the case of paid video sharing, I feel YouTobe would score better at present as they are backed up by Google Adsense. May be Facebook also comes up with a similar program which can sync well with their video

Hugop

As mentioned, the video sharing feature of Facebook is the weapon but I am sure that it can't beat YouTube. This will only be a new way to earn money and there is not going to be every kind of videos because Facebook videos have only comedy videos + most of them have a copyright. It is going to end as a war of users stealing videos of YouTube to earn money and users hating the ads of the videos(if any). YouTube is going to win for sure if no ads are going to be shown in Facebook social media page.

Rubie

You might be right @goodluck2u, since you've mentioned that Youtube is under Google then it might be hard to defeat. In addition, since Youtube is popularly known video sharing site, most users will still be using the site because they're used to it. Technically speaking, since Facebook has a lot of features provided, adding another feature might takes some time to properly operate, particularly in video sharing. On the other hand, Youtube run only with specific purpose, and that is, for video sharing, no complications at all.

Facebook is trying to compete with YouTube because their video feature can be monetized in the near future too. Video monetization motivated many people to upload things on YouTube. Unlike competitions of YouTube like Vimeo,daily motion and Veoh, People actually leave comments on Facebook videos. That is something only YouTube use to be proud of. Facebook videos loads faster on my internet connection too so it also ads favor to them because YouTube videos recently have a lot of buffering problems.

Last edited:
Facebook is trying to compete with YouTube because their video feature can be monetized in the near future too. Video monetization motivated many people to upload things on YouTube. Uni like competitions of YouTube like Vimeo,daily motion and Veoh, People actually leave comments on Facebook videos. That is something only YouTube use to be proud of. Facebook videos loads faster on my internet connection too so it also ads favor to them because YouTube videos recently have a lot of buffering problems.
But I think that can be an important factor in deciding the ultimate survival. As YouTube is backed by Google Adsense, the biggest ad revenue program as of now, it definitely got an edge in the field of video monetization. People would continue using YouTube as a source of earning which in turn result more quality videos. I agree with your point that there are issues related to buffering of YouTube videos, Facebook is no better. Nowadays it's facing issues of frequent downtime and quite recently it was down for long hours. This can be a big blow to their service.

But Facebook with its huge customer base can pose a serious threat if they are determined. I heard that they are planning to launch a satellite by January 2016 to connect remote areas of Africa which will eventually spread to entire world. They are really working hard to enhance their brand visibility. Hardwork always pays.

Whenever there is a race there will be a winner, and if it is the case of video sharing, YouTube is the front runner so far.

However, the followers on Facebook are much more than You Tube. So, if FB intervenes into any business the challenge is going to be intricate.

Everywhere in this world, there is a race. Businesses must introduce newer forms of innovations to sustain in the market. Furthermore, technology is a knowledge based platform. The more interactive it is the more the popularity will be. Time would only be able to choose the winner.

nytegeek

Silent War? Race? I think both are exaggerations of an epic proportion to be honest. Just because a large company gets a small start in a market served by another large company it doesn't mean they will offer any real competition or even be perceived as a threat.

dr45

I think that the youtube vs. facebook thing will go away pretty fast considering that youtube is more popular than facebook and there is more people now that use youtube than facebook. There is proof that this is true because if you go to news sources or major news article sites the statistics say that youtube is now becoming more popular than facebook. One confirmation on this is on mashable stating that the most types of people that visit these sites are teens. The statistics on this mashable article states that out of both sites that teens used youtube had more popularity than facebook. These statistics were found on other sites as well. This proves that youtube is more popular facebook at video features.

owen027

Is Facebook would attempt to challenge YouTube? Maybe Facebook is not the only one looking to run for the champion. Twitter and Meerkat are also all waiting. But at the first place YouTube would not go down without a fight. But for right now Facebook seems to be a formidable competitor.

jb23k

Most videos on facebook come from youtube. I don't think either one will lose because they seem to correspond together. Everyone who uses facebook will at some point use youtube. This isn't really a race at all. These two will be around for a while.

facebook poses a real threat against youtube as most people spend their time on facebok and not on youtube. this means the youtube exprience just come closer. the only thing facebook needs is to finalize the reward system and they will have an upper hand over youtube. this will be an advantage to users as we will have another opportunity to monetize our visual content, and maybe google will not be so hard on publishers when issuing adsense accounts.

facebook poses a real threat against youtube as most people spend their time on facebok and not on youtube. this means the youtube exprience just come closer. the only thing facebook needs is to finalize the reward system and they will have an upper hand over youtube. this will be an advantage to users as we will have another opportunity to monetize our visual content, and maybe google will not be so hard on publishers when issuing adsense accounts.
Yes, that is the real challenge for them, the reward system. YouTube got a definite edge over Facebook when comes to reward system. Google Adsense is the top online advertising agency now and it is really difficult to beat them. Facebook needs to do more deliberate efforts to even pose a threat to Adsense in reward system.

But as you said Facebook is more popular and has more traffic when compared to YouTube. The videos posted on Facebook can have more views within the shortest time possible. But a lot of people stick to YouTube as a good medium of earning.

I think YouTube. YouTube is irreplaceable and I think YouTube will not fade so easily. As for Facebook, I think it might end up like Friendster in the near future.

Top Bottom