• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Election campaign in social media

Since the election fever seemed to have started already, some friends are already positioning themselves for possible online projects with the coming elections - in May 2016. Some candidates pay big money for that.

I remember in the election of 2013, I was part of the social media department of one senatorial candidate. Our group was in charge of the Facebook page so we had to be scrambling for information everyday and every hour. Fortunately, our candidate won.

I wish that I was into politics and actually cared who runs the country that I'm living in, but I'm not and I don't. I dislike politics because I think that they are liars and greedy thieves.... we need somebody like Ron Paul (but i think that he is done running for president) or Barsiago to run for office. If they ran, I
Would definitely vote for them

lludawg

I wish that I was into politics and actually cared who runs the country that I'm living in, but I'm not and I don't. I dislike politics because I think that they are liars and greedy thieves.... we need somebody like Ron Paul (but i think that he is done running for president) or Barsiago to run for office. If they ran, I
Would definitely vote for them
That is exactly the problem. People have started not caring who runs their country. Seriously though, it matters A LOT.

I think candidates definitely should turn to social media to connect with their country. Most people get their news through social media nowadays rather than newspapers or the TV.

That is exactly the problem. People have started not caring who runs their country. Seriously though, it matters A LOT.

I think candidates definitely should turn to social media to connect with their country. Most people get their news through social media nowadays rather than newspapers or the TV.
I'm just one of some people who do not care. I'm sure that there are plenty of other people who care about politics and who vote etc, but i'm saying, if I don't like a certain candidate or all of them for that matter, and they don't seem legitimate to me, I'm not gonna waste my time voting for either one

From what I see with social media, it can get a lot of votes that can sway the tide in favor of a candidate. It is incredible that the most popular person in the country in terms of Facebook page likes is not the president but Vice Ganda, a gay comedian. That's how powerful social media is. In the near future, it can make or break people, not only in politics but also in other issues like government policies, proposed laws and the like. Public opinion is alive in social media.

When it comes to elections, I don't really care about Presidents because I won't directly benefit from their policies. I care more about Mayors because their services are directly applicable for me. You cannot stop the national problems but solving the problems of your city is more attainable. If every city votes for the right Mayor, a country will prosper even if they have the worst President ever. So think about your city, vote for the right Mayor, Vice Mayor and City counselors.

I think they should keep an open line in social media for people to voice their ideas and concerns to them after they are elected. Most of them do not even look at their social media pages once they are in office.
Some months ago, I was in the reunion of my former office mates. One of them bragged that he has an open line with the mayor of our town. So if I have problems like bad roads or anything, I can text him because his son-in-law is in the mayor's task force. Okay. After some time, I texted him about the excessive traffic in the intersection near our village. And he replied - check the Facebook account of the town and also the Facebook account of the mayor. Unfortunately, both social media accounts did not respond to my query.

Its sad, but that is the way it goes. 95% of celebrities and politicians do not view their social media pages. They are maintained by a staff member who updates information on it periodically but comments and such are ignored.

I will have to agree with you about social media. Everyone is now on social media. My grandmother now has a facebook account. I know that I do not watch tv and many of my friends do not either. Candidates should invest in social media. And, we all should care about who runs the country and what they believe in. That will give you some insight into the new legislation that will be coming down the pipeline.

In the 2013 elections, I'd say social media was used by candidates on or about 10% of the campaign because they were not still aware of the potency of social media. But in next year's election, the percentage of effort will be at least 20% for social media or it can even reach a high of 40% depending on the chief of staff or the campaign manager. Right now the social media accounts of candidates are already buzzing with articles about them with accompanying photos of their most recent activities.

deepa

Our present prime minister had a huge success in the election mainly because of his campaigns through social media. The people were also fed up of constant price rise and the atrocities of the previous government was brought to light by the present government. The social media has helped a lot in making the common man aware of what's going on around him/her.

Social Media is so powerful that's why many politicians uses it to campaign for elections. Their pages are even at "Suggested Pages" to advertize themselves. Also, it is a cheaper way of campaigning.

Anyway, I don't follow politicians in social networking sites. I'm just so fed up on what I am seeing on TV.

Politicians will use any means necessary to get your vote and these days with social media being big business its only natural that they will go down that route to.

They will use it to attract your vote and put posts and pictures on there to endear himself to you, but you'll often find it is just one way. Ask them any questions on there and your comment will be ignored or removed.

They want to get closer to the people to show they care, that's what their campaign manager says anyway, but Woah there! Not to close that they have to actually talk to you!

Social Media is so powerful that's why many politicians uses it to campaign for elections. Their pages are even at "Suggested Pages" to advertize themselves. Also, it is a cheaper way of campaigning.

Anyway, I don't follow politicians in social networking sites. I'm just so fed up on what I am seeing on TV.
I stopped following them also. They are getting ridiculous. I personally think they should be denied access to social media. All they do is spread propaganda.

Propaganda is the name of the game with any sort of media were politics is concerned so it's not surprising that they use social media also to campaign and promote themselves.

It's funny how the profiles only seem to become active when they're campaigning for votes. When they don't need the public a lot of the social media sites are barely active.

jb23k

Social media is a good way to support your candidates. Of course you can also find a lot of people who support the same people you do. Places like twitter are a good place to start. Using hashtags is the best way to find other supporters. Campaigns can be done online to an extent.

Propaganda is the name of the game with any sort of media were politics is concerned so it's not surprising that they use social media also to campaign and promote themselves.

It's funny how the profiles only seem to become active when they're campaigning for votes. When they don't need the public a lot of the social media sites are barely active.
You hit the nail in the head! Especially your last paragraph. They even act and do what's the trend in social media to adapt people which is just intended to get votes from the citizens. After the election, let's see if they will still be active. Their accounts may be deserted and just reactivate when the next election comes.

Rubie

With the use of social media as a campaign tool, leads to politician's popularity. Is it really important to be popular to be able to prove your willingness to become a leader? I don't think there's a need, as long as the politician established his ability to serve the nation. In this era people are blinded by popularity, which most likely ignored the politicians with genuine intention. Some people also doesn't care at all, that is why the nation goes to the wrong person. Popularity defeats advocacy, who's affected? The residents. So sad.

Top Bottom