• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Domain name choice

srock

I would like to have a domain of my personal name, which my various business would reside. If someone owns my name, how would I go about purchasing the domain from them? And if I choose not to do that, what would be potential consequences of having a dash between my first and last name in the URL?

Bilby

Are you sure that your real legal name, spelled that exact way, is the best brand for your businesses? Could you mix it up a bit with a nickname, middle initial or distinctive spelling? Something to make is both distinctive (to avoid being confused with other people) and memorable (to... well that's obvious).

If you are really set on that spelling of that name, and the .com is taken, I would suggest going with the .net. But you are going to lose traffic to that other site because people make assumptions. I would still go with the .net over the hyphen as leading to less overall client bleed.

srock

My real legal name is unique and memorable and I do feel it's the most appropriate choice for branding. Would you please explain what you mean by "client bleed" and specifically why the hyphen is the least desirable choice?

If your name is unique, then I don't think you would have a problem about others having the same URL as you. And yes, I think using your real name as your domain name is a pretty good idea.

You will have to negotiate with the owner and set a price to buy it from them. That is in the case of someone already holding onto the domain name you want. However, if it is available, then simply buy it from any domain marketplace.

Bilby

My real legal name is unique and memorable and I do feel it's the most appropriate choice for branding. Would you please explain what you mean by "client bleed" and specifically why the hyphen is the least desirable choice?
Client bleed is when a person is actually looking for you, but something means they accidentally go to a different site. If people (more common in older people) actually type the url they are mostly likely to use no hyphen and use .com. In my experience it is easier to verbally or otherwise emphasis that you have a .net, than that you are using a hyphen. For example you can underline the suffix on your business card, or say "remember it is dot net". Or even make a joke about it "JoeSmith dot net, is your safety net etc.

I've been thinking about getting domain names for some businesses I want to get up and running mostly with my son in mind. I actually never thought of using personal names which in our case might be sort of different. This information is so helpful. Since I saw this thread, I actually checked online to see how feasible using your own name is and some do recommend it. I also checked to see if my business name was taken and to my surprise the .com was taken. All of the others remained but I had no clue what to do since .com seems always to be the best bet. Based on what Bilby is saying .net seems the next best choice? I saw things like ,xyz, .me, .co and more. It's the first time I am exploring all this for myself and I find it very enlightening.

srock

Last time I checked someone owns the domain I want. I'm not sure how to find the owner's contact info.

Bilby thanks for that clarification. I remember my friends who had their band website at a .net and at shows they would say into the mic their band name and repeat ".net.net.net" to fade out lol. That turned me off to .net's because it seemed like too much effort to get folks to the right place.

I was once consulted on a planned website for a deceased actor, probably the most popular here. The meeting was smooth but before adjournment, there was this question about a website with the name of the actor's wife who is also a popular actress. I was dumbfounded because when I checked, indeed the website's name was the full (screen) name of the actress. When we inquired with dot com, we didn't get a reaction. So I tried to contact the owner of the site by emailing him and leaving messages on his webpage. Nothing happened until after one year, the site was pulled down and the domain name was up for sale.

Just food for thought.

I was gonna say that if your name is unique, then I do not think that you have to worry about someone else having the same name, but I think that someone already said that. I have a pretty unique name as well and I used to think that I was the only person with that name, but oh boy, I was so wrong. Not only do other people have the same name as me, but there are even restaurants and churches with my name

I would like to have a domain of my personal name, which my various business would reside. If someone owns my name, how would I go about purchasing the domain from them? And if I choose not to do that, what would be potential consequences of having a dash between my first and last name in the URL?
If you really want to purchase the other domain name of your interest, you've no other option than to negotiate with the owner of it - as others have said.

On the other hand, if you want to use the dash, that's perfectly fine and it does not harm SERP or the SEO for your website. In fact some times, having a hyphen is a good idea. For example if the website name is www.expertsexchange.com - one use might read it as: www.experts-exchange.com while the other interpretation can be www.expert-sex-change.com - do you see how hyphens can help! ;)

So if you think to use, hyphens, I'd say, go for it.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom