• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Does your forum have off-topic sections?

An Off topic forum is a bit of a double edge sword because yes it may help your site to get more posts but the negative is that the other sections of your site that you wanted to be active will end up being inactive because members will ignore those sections and decide to stay on that off topic area. I feel a bit of hesitation about it. It makes me think whether I am going to include an off topic section for my forum or not because of what I had seen in some forums.

The off-topic session in our forum is called Ala Verde - Anything Goes. That means you can post anything as long as it does not offend anyone and negative posting is also discouraged. But posts to that board normally contains the spams. Although we allow it for sometimes, there are annoying spams (those that regularly posts the same ad over and over) that we remove. By the way, our moderators are careful in removing posts because we are kind of strict in documentation.

Being that my forum is a general topic forum.... there is no off topic section because it is not needed. However, I think an off topic section is good for forums. It gives people a place they can discuss other things they are interested in other then the niche your site is created for.

I actually, literally just asked the admin or moderator about that because it was my favorite section of the whole forum. I like talking about anything. This forum used to have the Off Topic sections, but I don't see it anymore.

A lot of niche sites are omitting their off topic areas. My forum is general topic so there are no limitations of what can be discussed, expect 'adult content' material is not allowed. I think the forum owners want people to stick to the topic of the site and not use off topic subjects anymore. I have seen niche sites where all the discussions were in the off topic area.

I found the off topic section thanks to a sarcastic member on here. its at the
Bottom of the forum. I guess it's because I got so used to the old theme, I expected it to look the same, but anyway it's here

Raiden

Being that my forum is a general topic forum.... there is no off topic section because it is not needed. However, I think an off topic section is good for forums. It gives people a place they can discuss other things they are interested in other then the niche your site is created for.
Same here - was just about to say that. :) Since I run a spam board, nothing is off-topic! :D

What should a forum owner do if most section of his forums flopped badly and most people decided to gather around the off topic forum? That is one of my biggest fear on including one. Let's say I decided to make a forum about Soap making , I created that for people who are enthusiast and people who have soap making as a hobby but people decided to ignore the important sections and decided to gather around the Off topic section and talk about Miley Cyrus' latest controversy instead. I had seen a forum that suffered such fate.

I think most forums will have an off-topic section on their forums as its nice for a member to just relax from the forums main topic once in a while to take part in other discussions. It could also attract some new members that may not know much about the forums main topic/niche but wants to take part in the general discussions section. This can be great for a forum but then there is always a chance that too many members participate in the general discussion sections and not the main forum sections

What do you guys think of this idea? People can only do one off topic thread a day and they can only reply on two off topic threads a day. I am just worried that all off members will hoard their selves on that area and ignore the parts that matters. What should I do so the people will enjoy the areas that matter the most. Let's say decided to create a forum about gaming. In have an Area fr consoles, PC,Portable and mobile devices and after that I will have a general off topic area. What should I do so the people will prefer the areas that really matters. I had seen forums where all areas areas are almost empty while off topic is track trending.

My forum is a general discussion board so no? I mean, I do have a forum called "Other" for things that don't go in any other category if that counts as an off-topic board.

Sapett

I run a general discussion forum, so I don't have your traditional off-topic forum. My forum is divided into different categories for discussions, but we do have an off-topic forum at the bottom for discussions that cannot be categorized anywhere else. It doesn't get as much use as our other forums.

I don't have an off-topic section on mine. I feel also it will start getting more posts there than the other topics. It's a niche forum and I have a category and area for just about everything within that niche and if there is something I'm missing I have a suggestions area. Off-topic areas to me are basically saying "hey come in and hang out HERE" forget the rest. LOL

I don't have my own forum, but in forum sites I am a member in, my favorite section is the 'Off-topic'. I like to talk anything that comes to my mind and I prefer differing topics to comment on.

Nevertheless, to help the owner of the forum site, I also comment in other sections where I have some knowledge about it. It is not to left other topics deserted.

On my forum I've an off topic section but off topic would usually meant for those topics which can not be covered under other sections, topics will still be technical (niche of my forum) mostly, though, once in a while fun is fine - who would want a user on a Linux forum talking about astrology in every single post, for example.

nailah783

I think a place to be off topic is important to forums because sometimes people are on the forum to learn more than what they actually know. if they don't know much about the topic then they won't have very many places to post. They could always ask questions, but that could become boring after a while. Every now and then you want to share something that you know or sometimes you want to be able to participate in the conversation. I do see the downside too though. You can wind up with people not having anything to say in the main threads.

For me I think off-topic sections in a forum are important because sometimes people just want to interact with other members about other issues that your forum isn't aimed at.

While it's true that sometimes the off-topic section can get overwhelmed, leaving the rest of the threads on your site almost abandoned, I think it can also work the other way, and if you get talking to a member in the off-topic section, when you see they've posted in the various other threads, you're then more inclined to participate in that thread also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom