• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do you think forums can be a good medium for Internet advertising?

Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Likes
2
#1
I have been member to various forums for very long time now. I think they provide us with an excellent opportunity to advertise our sites. The most important benefit of forum advertising is that we can find targeted customers. For example if you are looking for referrals for your PPC or any other money earning site, you can just join a forum dealing with on-line money earning ideas. There you can find a lot of members interested in your ads.

Moreover, signature advertising is also a good option to try which is part of most of the forums. Do you consider forums as an important way of advertising?
 
Joined
Jul 13, 2015
Likes
19
Location
UK
#2
To a certain extent I think advertising on a forum could be worthwhile, but a lot would depend on the forum and just what business it is your advertising on there.

Also a lot of forum owners frown upon people advertising their business on there so it's worth checking your actually ok to do that before you go touting for business.
 
V

vinaya

Guest
#3
In most of the paid to post forums (paid forums), it is against their TOS to share links with your posts. However, some free forums, you are allowed to share links. As long as you have freedom to share links, you can market or promote your business. Having said that you can also do limited marketing and promotion on forums. Most of the forums private messaging system and you can share about your business or products with the link minded people through private messages.
 
Joined
Jul 13, 2015
Likes
19
Location
UK
#4
Merely mentioning your business in comments and replies to threads I don't think anybody as a problem with, as long as it adds to the forum of course. It's when you blatantly use the forum as an advertising platform that people can get a bit funny.

And rightly so to be honest, if I was a forum owner the least I'd expect is to be asked if advertising was allowed before I logged on to see my forum flooded with off topic advertising.
 
Joined
Jul 9, 2015
Likes
7
Location
kenya
#5
Forum posting is a good way to promote your website or blog, but as you said; targeting is very fundamental; you must target the right audience to succeed. As of the paid to post sites, they allow you insert links when you upgrade to a premium user.
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Likes
2
#6
pwarbi;n162 wrote: Merely mentioning your business in comments and replies to threads I don't think anybody as a problem with, as long as it adds to the forum of course. It's when you blatantly use the forum as an advertising platform that people can get a bit funny.

And rightly so to be honest, if I was a forum owner the least I'd expect is to be asked if advertising was allowed before I logged on to see my forum flooded with off topic advertising.
I think almost all forums have their own coin/credit system which can be used for advertising our sites. There may be a separate section for advertising your products/services. Members who are interested can visit the section for new offers. Yes, it is true that we need to ensure that this is in line with their ToS. Otherwise this may lead to a warning and further termination.

As I already mentioned signature advertising is also a good option. In fact there are members who are ready to take your signature space on rent to advertise their own sites.
 
Joined
Jul 13, 2015
Likes
19
Location
UK
#7
That's actually not the first time I've heard about that, renting out your own signature space to others, but I wasn't sure if people actually did that until you've just mentioned it again.

I know that when you have a site or in fact any kind of business, you should make the most of any advertising opportunities you can get, but renting a persons signature space on a forum is a bit extreme, don't you think?
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Likes
2
#8
pwarbi;n179 wrote: That's actually not the first time I've heard about that, renting out your own signature space to others, but I wasn't sure if people actually did that until you've just mentioned it again.

I know that when you have a site or in fact any kind of business, you should make the most of any advertising opportunities you can get, but renting a persons signature space on a forum is a bit extreme, don't you think?
That is really funny..haha.. It's business you know, everybody is there to make money. This is just like renting a house or a building for running a business. Before taking it on rent won't you look at various aspects like its location, basic amenities etc.? Just like that in signature space also rate differs based on the popularity and reputation of the user in the forum. If he/she is a well-known member with a lot of reputation points and posts in his account, the price may go up. Obviously because more people will be visiting his posts and his credibility will be higher as he is in the system for long time.

So, I think this is not a bad thing to explore. But before giving it on rent, it would be better if we can check what we are displaying as advertisements in our signature space.
 
Joined
Jul 13, 2015
Likes
19
Location
UK
#9
I was going to say, I'd want to know exactly what was being advertised in my signature space before I agreed to it. I wouldn't fancy agreeing to rent it out, and then the next time I'm on the forum I make a post and then find out I'm being sponsored by an erectile dysfunction clinic or a bondage site!
 

jkbos2

New Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2015
Likes
0
#10
I think forums are a good place for advertising depending on how there constructed. If you're advertising something that people are discussing in a forum you will have people visiting your blog or website in no time. I think forum owners can make money for allowing advertising on there forums also. This is a great way to network. Forums allowing advertising and making money from it would give them a big edge over social media sites.
 
Joined
Jul 13, 2015
Likes
19
Location
UK
#11
The only difference between that and a social media sites though is that to advertise your site on a forum, the owner of that forum would quite rightly wand something off you in return.

Advertising your site via a social media platform you wouldn't have to give anything back, your free to blatantly advertise as much as you want.
 
V

vinaya

Guest
#12
It is true that it is against TOS on many forums to share about your business on threads created to share opinioms. However, some forums also have provisions for advertising. They have different category for advertising purpose. They charge you coin/point for posting your ads. (You can obtain point/coin by paying $). Since the forums compensate the commentators in some way, your ads get visibility. However, to speak truth you don't get much benefits from such ads.
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Likes
2
#13
vinaya;n485 wrote: It is true that it is against TOS on many forums to share about your business on threads created to share opinioms. However, some forums also have provisions for advertising. They have different category for advertising purpose. They charge you coin/point for posting your ads. (You can obtain point/coin by paying $). Since the forums compensate the commentators in some way, your ads get visibility. However, to speak truth you don't get much benefits from such ads.
To be frank, I got some very good response from forum advertising when I was using PTC sites to earn money. But nowadays I am no more using PTCs due to a number of setbacks and already stopped advertising on forums. But it does help in getting good leads.

In my experience, I think signature advertisement is an excellent way. Here you can just put your link once and forget about it. But it is important to be active in the forum as it enhances your visibility. The most important advantage is that you can have targeted customers based on the nature of forum.
 
Joined
Jul 13, 2015
Likes
19
Location
UK
#14
Signature advertising as been around for a while now and with anything that's been around for a long time, that usually means that it works.

As you say, making sure you are active on the forum and making constructive posts can help get you noticed and if your a reasonable visitor and you clearly know what your talking about, that instills trust from others and they are then more likely to click on your link.
 

techseeker

New Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Likes
2
#15
pwarbi;n510 wrote: Signature advertising as been around for a while now and with anything that's been around for a long time, that usually means that it works.

As you say, making sure you are active on the forum and making constructive posts can help get you noticed and if your a reasonable visitor and you clearly know what your talking about, that instills trust from others and they are then more likely to click on your link.
Yes, you are absolutely right. It all depends on building reputation in forums. In some forums you can have reputation points which shows the level of reputation you got in that site. At the same time it is also difficult to maintain that level every time. If you happen to populate a wrong site, your reputation may go down and it will be difficult to regain the lost trust. So we need to be careful about what we are advertising. I think this is very important when we rent out signature space. It should not hamper our reputation.

As I have already mentioned earlier you can demand more money to rent your space based on your activity, reputation, quality and quantity of posts in forums.
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2015
Likes
12
Location
Philippines
#16
I am writing in a number of paying forum sites and they were strict with regards to advertising your business or sites.

I agree though that it can be of a good help for your business and sites if you promote them in forum sites. There are sites that are purely forum and non-paying. But make sure you have a good reputation for others to give their trust. Good thing there's internet to advertise.
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Likes
2
#17
ipol12;n1046 wrote: I am writing in a number of paying forum sites and they were strict with regards to advertising your business or sites.

I agree though that it can be of a good help for your business and sites if you promote them in forum sites. There are sites that are purely forum and non-paying. But make sure you have a good reputation for others to give their trust. Good thing there's internet to advertise.
You are right. A lot of forums are very strict against using referral links and signature advertising. In my initial stages of using forum as a medium of advertisement, I got banned by one of the forums I used. Then I realized about it and always made it a point to go through their ToS before making any such moves.

Still I am member to a number of forums where different types of topics are being discussed like online earning, technology, websites and so on. There is no difficulty in finding targeted customers for your products and services in an apt forum. As you already mentioned you should maintain good reputation and any wrong steps can tarnish your image. It will adversely affect the advertisements too.
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2015
Likes
12
Location
Philippines
#18
Indeed, checking the ToS will help to avoid violating any rules from the sites. Anyway, there are forum sites where you can private message some members. Once you build a relationship in some members of the forum sites, you can message them privately and send your referral links. It is also good to respond in their forum posts to build a relationship with them.
 

moneyman

New Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2015
Likes
1
#19
I have found that banner (if allowed) in signature is extremely good advertising method to get a lot of clicks in your website and therefore referrals if you target a right forum. However, most forums don't allow signature banners and sometimes even links are forbidden,
 

Hostizard

New Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2015
Likes
0
#20
The benefit of advertising in forums is that you can interact with your audience. By asking or answering questions, many get to understand about your advertising campaign. You can join as many forums as you can, if you want to be successful. Make sure you post relevant links on relevant forums, don't just post your links anywhere. With a good marketing plan, you can generate enough traffic from forums.
 
Top Bottom