• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do you take backups on your hosting server?

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to know if you are taking backups of your website/forum/blog daily or weekly. If you are taking backups where you are storing them, is it you upload them to a remote server or save it in you computers, laptop, external hard disk or pen drive.

I don't think that Ashok is a newbie in this subject, he is just exploring the options to know more about it!

I think, if you have a very busy and big Forum/website - taking a daily back-up might make sense else a weekly frequency is good one. As I'm not representing a hosting company so I can take advantage of my hosting company to take the back of my website too when they do their routine backups. Personally, I save backup in an external hard-disk and keep a copy of it in my e-mail box.

MarcS

Daily backup is the most preferable backup frequency. IMHO, the best solution is to keep one onsite backup and one offsite backup. Onsite backups can be stored to third party backup services, Cloud service providers or to your web server. Offsite backup can be maintained in your local system or to external drive or in any other PC. It certainly adds a redundancy layer to your data security.

Backup is essential but I will not do it everyday if I was you. Probably once a week is good enough unless your site is really content heavy and highly popular.

We make sure we take a daily back up around midnight just in case something were to happen because my forum has alot of posts.

Dewlance

Every next day and monthly because of daily backup can be corrupted. I mean your data is crashed or something else happened then your server will backup corrupted or bad data and you will not get a chance.

Remote backup.

Hum, it all depends on how much activity and content your site has! I used to have a blog about games where I posted almost everyday when I was on high school and I remember that I used to do daily back ups on my computer. But it was mainly texts and images, not that much content like some sites have... so what I advice is that you chose which one serves your purpose better!

We never bother to do the backup of our office website because that procedure is being done by the host provider. I actually had written a backup procedure of our website but it was not used. This year the contract of the host provider will expire and our boss is thinking of getting a new provider (reason beyond me, I really don't know why) so maybe I should be ready for the backup procedure and most likely the archive will reside on my office computer.

I would like to recommend you a hosting services provider i.e go4hosting with very good backup services too, It gives daily weekly and monthly backup services.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom