• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do you like to have a dislike button in facebook?

Facebook is planning to incorporate a dislike button in the site. If we find something that we do not agree or like, we can just select the dislike button. Till now there is only a like option in Facebook. This can be one of the important changes of recent times. Facebook authorities are also not sure how it is going to affect their business. Anyway they are going to launch it on trial basis and after studying the aftereffects they may continue or discontinue it.

What is your stand on this?

I would very much like to have that dislike button. It will give me the liberty to indicate the useless posts that my Facebook friends make. And for sure, that dislike button will cause the number of my friends to dwindle. But I don't really care because right now I still have over 1,000 friends that I am trying to trim down to 500 for a more manageable number - so I can interact to the posts of all of them. And that dislike button will change the ways of Facebook users... for the better or for the worse.

I don't think dislike button is necessary. If you don't like, it is also a polite way to dislike. If we want to be vocal with dislike, we can say this in the comment section. And there are emoticons and smileys that can express our emotions exactly. There was no negativity needed on facebook.

Honestly, I do not see the point in having such buttons being made available. If you do not like what is being shared, simply ignore it and it will be counted as 'dislike' already. So why make something that already exist in a way?

Honestly speaking, I would like to have a dislike button there. If a like button is there, there should be a dislike button too. Now the available options are like, comment or ignore. If I don't like a post it would not be always possible to put comments on that and a dislike option would be handy then.

It is heard that it is not going to be a dislike button exactly, but Facebook is looking for some options by which you can easily convey your message of disagreement. So it will be something less severe than a straight dislike button.

I think it's just going to bring problems. I'm the kind of person that doesn't mind giving her honest opinion and I am not one to "soften" anything, but I also think that opinions should be given when asked for, especially negative ones. I had a Facebook friend whose posts I didn't like. At all. Know how I handled it? I deleted them from my feed. If I don't like the kind of negativity they are putting in my feed, I just don't need them there. I don't have a need to give people reasons why I do/say what I do/say. But if I was asked why I deleted her, then a simple "because you put too much negativity on my feed and I don't want that in my life" would do.

If someone doesn't like something, they don't need to "Dislike" it. Then can just ignore it and even block it if they want. With so much bullying going around especially online, this dislike button lends itself to this. I think people that would use a Dislike button really don't care about others feelings and give their opinion WAY to often when not asked. Apparently they were never taught "when you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all." Of course, this lesson in life has its exceptions: if someone asks for your opinion, give it honestly. But if someone doesn't and it's negative: keep your trap shut.

nytegeek

It isn't going to be a "dislike" button in the sense people are thinking. There is a good article at Snopes that actually quoted enough of what Zuckerberg said on the matter to clarify things. There wont be any up and down voting of posts on Facebook. The feature may very well end up being called a "dislike" button but it wont necessarily function that way. It will be for showing empathy over bad news or unfortunate events, not for down-voting a post you don't like. Most of the news and blog announcements over this just grabbed a misleading snippet or sound bite on the matter instead of reporting what Facebook is actually intending to do.

The introduction of dislike button means, there is a reduction in the number of friends in the friend list. There are very few people on this earth, who can take an honest opinion. Facebook is a place, which gives a false sense of glory to many. The more the number of likes are, the more is your popularity. In such a platform, the users may not like to be disliked.

I, personally, am in favor of having such a button. That will truly show, who the real friends are!

People have been asking for a so called dislike button on Facebook for a number of years now, and so I think it was always eventually going to happen.

Personally I don't really see the need for it, and if I dislike something I'll just ignore it, I don't need to waste my time going through the process of disliking it by pressing a button to show my disapproval.

There are times when people makes posts and comments that were just despicable that you want to send them the message that their opinion sucks. The dislike button is a cool way to express that without the need to confront them and argue with them. I do admit I used that button on YouTube a lot, sadly they don't tally the number of dislikes a comment gets anymore. They only tally the dislikes of a video. Only the likes of comments are tallied by YouTube nowadays. There is a Facebook page I want to dislike and I will dislike it once the dislike button arrives.

Honestly, I do not see the point in having such buttons being made available. If you do not like what is being shared, simply ignore it and it will be counted as 'dislike' already. So why make something that already exist in a way?
That's also my stand when the issue of that dislike button first came up. But on second thought, that dislike button is a way of sending a signal to the poster that his post was disliked. Unlike when ignored, being in the "seen zone" does not mean anything since the poster wouldn't know if you had ignored that particular post. Well, I'm still awaiting for that dislike button but it seems that Facebook is having second thoughts now, that it may backfire on them.

I certainly think that Facebook are having a rethink, and maybe not calling it a dislike button but maybe something else would be better. A way to show that you have seen the post and you feel for the person, for example if a status say they have been to a funeral, it's wrong to like the post but at the same time you want to show that you empathise with them would be a better alternative.

An empathy button?

nytegeek

I certainly think that Facebook are having a rethink, and maybe not calling it a dislike button but maybe something else would be better. A way to show that you have seen the post and you feel for the person, for example if a status say they have been to a funeral, it's wrong to like the post but at the same time you want to show that you empathise with them would be a better alternative.

An empathy button?
I don't know what they will end up calling it, but the current plans are actually for something that functions in the way you described. It wont be a dislike button in the sense everybody is thinking and most of the tech reports and blog articles on the matter have been wrong. They just run with the snippet of out of context info that gets their sites traffic.

I think there's been a call for a dislike button on Facebook for some time now so when the announcement came that Facebook was looking at something like that, everybody just jumped on the "there's going to be a dislike button" bandwagon without actually reading exactly what Facebook was trying to do.

nytegeek

No it wont. If people counted everything you didn't click "like" on as a dislike you wouldn't have a friends list after they all unfriended you. Actively down voting a post is very different from just ignoring it on any social media format and it has a much more negative connotation. This is exactly why the upcoming feature isn't meant to be a "dislike button" in the manner people are describing. It would really serve people well to read the article at Snopes on the matter.

Actively down voting a post is very different from just ignoring it on any social media format and it has a much more negative connotation. This is exactly why the upcoming feature isn't meant to be a "dislike button" in the manner people are describing. It would really serve people well to read the article at Snopes on the matter.
Yes, I agree to the point that ignoring a post has nothing to do with disliking. In the current scenario one way to show your disagreement is to put it in words in the comment section. But that will not be practical when we are short of time and there are too many posts coming up. Moreover this can also lead to heated arguments sometimes. Then in that case I think dislike button (or whatever it is) is a safe option. I still believe there can be some options to show your disagreement too.

I might be a bit cynical but I think for a lot of sites they actually want people to comment and cause these heated debates as the longer it goes on, the more people get involved and that will push through more traffic to the site.

Maybe not for sites as big as Facebook as I'm sure their flow of traffic is amongst the best anyway, but the smaller sites I have a feeling rely on the comments section and are more than happy for a 20 way heated debate to ensue a controversial article that's been posted.

nytegeek

That isn't cynical, it is realism. I'm fairly certain that even FB owes much of it's revenue and traffic to drama. FB is the "Jerry Springer" of social media and they know it. I'm sure that isn't their intention and I doubt they would openly advocate it but I'm sure there are those at FB that are more than happy for the drama in people's feeds.

deepa

I sure would like to see a dislike button. I am scared to open Facebook recently because of automatically downloading videos. My personal computer got infected by viruses and I had to spend a lot of time trying to remove unwanted search engine bugs.

I think facebook will lose membership eventually if they do not stop these spam video streaming.

You can stop Facebook from automatically downloading and playing anything, just like you can with most, if not every site these days.

As for the drama of Facebook, some of the posts that people put on there are cringeworthy and makes you wonder what goes through their heads to even think about making that public knowledge!

Top Bottom