• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do you know how to manage a dedicated server?

alakazam

Personally, I've never used a dedicated server so far, so I have no idea how to manage one. Is it as difficult as some people say? Can it be easily learned?

The 5 key points to manage dedicated server is as below:
Manage Processes and Services
Monitor Your Server
Set Up a Firewall and Configure it Properly
Effectively Use PowerShell
Implement Change Management Processes and Manage Remotely

p4lse

I don't know how to manage a dedicated server since it requires a lot of effort and you need to be mechanically strong in every single aspect or when resources or load gets above a certain level, it'd be impossible to fix them.

Kevin

As long as you have the basic skills like securing the operating system and are able to troubleshoot problems then it really isn't that hard. There are a lot of tutorials and videos online that you can learn a lot from. So knowledge of Google and YouTube is a must. Also, it helps if you don't have a problem with working on the hardware itself, like install drivers and partitioning drives.

I am raising my hand for I am at a loss on what you are talking about "dedicate server". I have known some website servers like Apache and Nginx. Are they dedicated server? Who can give a clear or a quick definition of a "dedicated server". Does it has much to do with efficient service or whatever?

MeowsePad

Managing a dedicated server seems like it would be kind of like managing an Apache server at home except on a larger scale. I think that with a dedicated server, you usually get remote access as if you were using the machine from home.

JimGoodman

if yоu hаvе а Windоws mасhinе whiсh hаs а prеtty gооd prосеssоr аnd mеmоry? Yоu саn асtuаlly instаll smаll piесе оf sоftwаrе саllеd VMwаrе wоrkstаtiоn оr virtuаl bоx in yоur pс, thеn yоu саn run whаtеvеr Linux distributiоn yоu wаnt. Stаrt with instаlling а Lаmp sеrvеr by yоursеlf, by соmplеting yоur Wеb sеrvеr prоjесt yоu shоuld hаvе gоt prеtty gооd tоuсh with thе Linux, thеn mоvе yоursеlf up by trying sоmе соmpliсаtеd sеtups.. Yоu саn find vаriоus guidеs fоr аll kindа instаllаtiоns аnd mаintеnаnсе. Digitаlосеаn hаs sоmе sеriоusly killing tutоriаls whiсh саn wаlk yоu thrоugh whаtеvеr yоu instаll. This is hоw I triеd lеаrning Linux.
Gооd luсk.

Top Bottom