• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Difference between cloud hosting and dedicated servers.

Could hosting is a new concept which is spreading like wildfire. All major companies including Google and Apple use this technology to deal with customer data. I think one of the main features of cloud hosting is that it is based on multiple connected servers. So, the data reliability is high because if any one of the servers goes down, the other servers will take care of it. It is relatively cheaper too, usually based on usage.

Dedicated server on the other hand is having a physical server to store data. In this case if you run out of space, you need to buy another one. But if a company deals with highly sensitive data it is better to use a dedicated server.

I am just curious to know more about these two technologies.

I don't know much about them but cloud hosting is cheap when compared to maintaining a dedicated server. Even though cloud hosting provides security it isn't enough for most of the providers. They believe that the ultimate security for something can be provided only through a dedicated server.

So, it depends on the people. Cloud hosting is an emerging technology where as dedicated is already a known approach.

W

waqsi

Cloud hosting serves you resources online which can be available within minutes, but dedicated server takes considerably more time when compared to cloud hosting. However, updating the RAM, disk space and CPU is available in both the cases. When it comes to cost effectiveness, cloud hosting comes very cheap considering the high amount of cost involved under dedicated hosting.

I also heard that a dedicated server is the best option in case of highly sensitive data. But I don't know the exact reason behind this. is this because cloud hosting works on the idea of connected servers? Even though a dedicated server is costly than cloud hosting, it has plenty of advantages. They are safer and offer better performance as the connection is direct unlike cloud server network. In dedicated server environment, if you are out of space, you can just add another one to handle the additional work load.

Personally I feel that we cannot fully depend on a cloud server if we deal with highly sensitive data. As we cannot put a price on security, it is always better to go for a dedicated server in such cases. So, decision should be based on the nature of data you want to store in servers.

techseeker;n1109 wrote: I also heard that a dedicated server is the best option in case of highly sensitive data. But I don't know the exact reason behind this. is this because cloud hosting works on the idea of connected servers? Even though a dedicated server is costly than cloud hosting, it has plenty of advantages. They are safer and offer better performance as the connection is direct unlike cloud server network. In dedicated server environment, if you are out of space, you can just add another one to handle the additional work load.

Personally I feel that we cannot fully depend on a cloud server if we deal with highly sensitive data. As we cannot put a price on security, it is always better to go for a dedicated server in such cases. So, decision should be based on the nature of data you want to store in servers.
Security? You can rule out immediately this argument, doesn't matter if you talk about cloud hosting, VPS or dedicated: dedicated has only a slightly better security, and cloud hosting and VPS shares an high privacy standard, considering the host is doing good its jobs. Let me explain.
Cloud hosting and VPS does the same thing on a extent: VPS is running an OS in a virtualized container, meanwhile cloud hosting is about running an application in the container. In both cases, containers are expected to be secure. Sure, dedicated hasn't that problem, but if you're at the stage of doubting a good virtualization (and only if rightly done), then maybe you should consider doing your own datacenter. Because at that point of view, anyone can enter and access your data inside the hosting company.

kibria97

is this because cloud hosting works on the idea of connected servers? Even though a dedicated server is costly than cloud hosting, it has plenty of advantages. They are safer and offer better performance as the connection is direct unlike cloud server network

Cloud servers can be configured to provide levels of performance, security and control similar to those of a dedicated server. But instead of being hosted on physical hardware that's solely used by you, they reside in a shared “virtualized” environment that's managed by your cloud hosting provider.
A dedicated server is a physical server that is purchased or rented entirely for your own business needs. Dedicated servers are typically used by large businesses and organizations that require exceptionally high levels of data security, or organizations that have steady, high demands for server capacity.

Dedicated server is like getting your own house to live. If you feel that the house is small then you have to pay more to get additional real estate under your house.
In cloud hosting, you get to live at a rented house and you could live at two different places at the same time, meaning, you could rent out two different places for appropriate prices and use them to hold your furniture and appliances.I tried my best to bring as an analogical similarity between these concepts as possible.

I hope this helps!
Regards.

Selecting between Cloud hosting and dedicated hosting is a vital choice that you need to make. Though, which one is best suitable for your website, would mainly depend on your site’s necessity and your budget. When it comes to cost, Cloud hosting is more inexpensive than Dedicate hosting. But, you can’t make a choice based exclusively on the price.

As the dedicated server supports different frameworks, its enactment is at par with Cloud hosting. Dedicated servers are a decent selection for sites with a constant surge in traffic, as it can be enhanced to support high-level traffic.

Compared to Cloud hosting, dedicated server hosting delivers complete customization. But, unlike Cloud hosting, you’ll have to pay extra for integrating on dedicated server. Though, it delivers easy integration with tools.

In Cloud vs Dedicated server hosting, Cloud hosting deals more scalability of resources, whereas a Dedicated server deals better security and integration options. Which to pick between the two would largely depend on your requirements.

Cloud Pros

No hardware to buy/maintain
Unlimited instance scaling
Unlimited disk scaling
Dynamic/Elastic scaling
Pay for what you use
Resilient and Redundant

Dedicated Server Pros

Full control
Abundant disk space (to start)
Inexpensive disk space
Bandwidth is cheap