• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dedicated server need

How much big a forum or website should be, before going to a dedicated server offer?
If a website gets around 9,000+ page views for a day and gets "503 service unavailable" error often, then do you guys think, it's a better time to go for a dedicated server?

I am not so sure and I am not that rich either. So, anybody here knows any cheap and yet reliable dedicated server provider?

As you already mentioned cost is one of the important deciding factors on the type of hosting. If you think your website is a huge hit and there are thousands of visitors daily, I would suggest to opt for a dedicated server. It is obviously costly when compared to shared or fully managed VPS hosting. But it all depends on how you rate your site. In dedicated web hosting, you are getting a physical server for your websites. You are at free to decide anything you want to install on that server dedicated for your use.

From the cost part, if your website is a good revenue generator for you spending around $200 a month would not be a problem for you.

Cost is indeed going to be the main issue and while I think nearly everybody will want to spend as little as possible, if you know your site is going to be big, and will eventually start to make you a tidy profit, then I think it's certainly worth paying for a dedicated server right from the start.

Yes, that is true.Everybody want to spend as little as possible. This is especially true for a beginner. Moreover, you can not rely that much on a shared hosting environment as the same server is being shared by more than one member. There are also certain security concerns associated with shared hosting.

If you have an established revenue generating site, there is no harm in using a dedicated server. It will help you in growing your business with more satisfied customers with high uptime. As it is rightly said that everything good in life comes with a price.

V

vinaya

Getting 9000 plus views per day means the website generates good money from ad impression. Perhaps, a certain percentage of the visitors are already clicking ads and buying products fromthe website. If the website is already earning good money, there is no need to take chances. You should definitely upgrade your website by choosing dedicated hosting. A shared hosting cannot sustain big traffic and there will be 503 messages all the time.

vinaya;n257 wrote: Getting 9000 plus views per day means the website generates good money from ad impression. Perhaps, a certain percentage of the visitors are already clicking ads and buying products fromthe website. If the website is already earning good money, there is no need to take chances. You should definitely upgrade your website by choosing dedicated hosting. A shared hosting cannot sustain big traffic and there will be 503 messages all the time.
But we don't have any ads in our forum and we don't have income either.
So, we will have to spend money from our own pockets to pay for a dedicated server.
And spending 350$ each month doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Now, I am in a pinch.

W

waqsi

Hi @Claravoilet,
As you stated above that your forum doesn't has any ads or income, I thinks it's not a good idea to go for a dedicated server as it's directly going to hurt your pocket. Unless you have a good revenue generating website, I wouldn't recommend you to go for a dedicated server. Good luck! :)

Claraviolet;n313 wrote:
But we don't have any ads in our forum and we don't have income either.
So, we will have to spend money from our own pockets to pay for a dedicated server.
And spending 350$ each month doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Now, I am in a pinch.
I think you should also explore possibilities of cloud hosting service which may be cheaper than a dedicated server. It is much better than a shared hosting platform and reliable too. It is a new technology which is being used by a lot of renowned companies worldwide. It may not be that cheap but not costlier also. In cloud hosting service they use a network of servers to minimize downtime.

I think you can also look for using advertisement services like Google Adsense so paying for a dedicated server will not be a headache for you. Otherwise with such a good website in hand, you are loosing one important sources of income online.

techseeker;n901 wrote:

I think you should also explore possibilities of cloud hosting service which may be cheaper than a dedicated server. It is much better than a shared hosting platform and reliable too. It is a new technology which is being used by a lot of renowned companies worldwide. It may not be that cheap but not costlier also. In cloud hosting service they use a network of servers to minimize downtime.

I think you can also look for using advertisement services like Google Adsense so paying for a dedicated server will not be a headache for you. Otherwise with such a good website in hand, you are loosing one important sources of income online.
We have google adsense but most of our users, use adblock :(
We can't really do anything about it.

So, we don't have any sort of income as of now :(

W

waqsi

Claraviolet;n1013 wrote:
We have google adsense but most of our users, use adblock :(
We can't really do anything about it.

So, we don't have any sort of income as of now :(
Hmm, that's the main concern. I think you cannot do anything in this, as adblocks are a big hurdle for you. Anyways, not all user make use of adblock and there will be only a few number of user using this thing.

waqsi;n1060 wrote:

Hmm, that's the main concern. I think you cannot do anything in this, as adblocks are a big hurdle for you. Anyways, not all user make use of adblock and there will be only a few number of user using this thing.
If that's the case, then I would have earned more that 0.5$ for such high traffic, in the last 29 days.
I don't know what to do anymore.

Guess I will have to live with that :(

W

waqsi

I think there would be some solution to your problem. Have you googled your problem? I think there should be definitely any solution to it. Since you have not found any solution yet, I think google uncle would definitely help you. :D And don't worry, I'm sure you don't have to live like that.

Claraviolet;n1078 wrote:
If that's the case, then I would have earned more that 0.5$ for such high traffic, in the last 29 days.
I don't know what to do anymore.

Guess I will have to live with that :(
As I already pointed out earlier have you explored the possibilities of using cloud server? They are cheaper than dedicated server. Moreover, they use a network of servers which ensure that even if a server is down for sometimes others will take care of it. So, downtime would be minimal. It is one of the most modern emerging technologies which is said to be very reliable. Many big companies like Google and Apple store their customer data in cloud servers.

But still dedicated server is the king of web hosting world and nobody else can offer such a high degree of reliability.

kibria97

How can I protect my privacy?
To keep your personal data from falling into the wrong hands, GoDaddy.com offers Private Registration through our partner, Domains By Proxy®. Instead of displaying your personal information in the WHOIS database for all to see, Domains By Proxy® will replace it with their own. The domain will still belong to you - except now, you and Domains By Proxy® will be the only ones who know it. See the difference.

techseeker;n1185 wrote:

As I already pointed out earlier have you explored the possibilities of using cloud server? They are cheaper than dedicated server. Moreover, they use a network of servers which ensure that even if a server is down for sometimes others will take care of it. So, downtime would be minimal. It is one of the most modern emerging technologies which is said to be very reliable. Many big companies like Google and Apple store their customer data in cloud servers.

But still dedicated server is the king of web hosting world and nobody else can offer such a high degree of reliability.
I did. I even searched for top cloud service providers but most of them doesn't accept payments from a credit card and the providers that accept payments from my local bank debit cards aren't that cheap at all.

I did try to look into this matter but so far, it seems quite hopeless :(

Claraviolet;n1402 wrote:
I did. I even searched for top cloud service providers but most of them doesn't accept payments from a credit card and the providers that accept payments from my local bank debit cards aren't that cheap at all.

I did try to look into this matter but so far, it seems quite hopeless :(
If you are that tight on the money, you can try to find what's the bottleneck and if there's a limit or if it's a real down time you are experiencing (and if that's the case, the shared host would be unhappy because other websites could be affected then).

It depends after all on why you get these 503 Unavailable. Sure, 9,000 pages views are good, but if it's over 9 hours, sustained, it means if you generate the page in 3 seconds, you're in time, and if you generate your pages in 3 seconds, it means you need a great deal of optimization. So the number of page views are looking good, but are you sure technically it's the bottleneck and the problem? How much requests can you get in a second in real conditions?

tony

Dedicated servers will cost you more money to maintain, going by what you said you aren't generating money from the site. I think it will be hard to advise you to go for a dedeicated server as that would mean paying from your pocket and not money earned from the site. What I'd say find a way to see how you could maximise the services of a VPS or any other related where the cost will be a lot less.

MeowsePad

For the level of traffic you describe, a higher-end shared hosting package or VPS should be sufficient. If your users are getting 503 errors, then it may be a problem with the host.

BHC

Compare Our Dedicated Servers With Others.

USA Missouri Dedicated Servers 16$/Month

blisshostingco. net

lebronCC

It depends on your data needs, where the server is established, the amount of hardware you're putting into it, setting up a server farm to serve many people can cost quite a bit of money.

Top Bottom