• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Current status of .xyz

What is the current status of the extension xyz? It was sold rather cheaply few months back due to its bad reputation. Has it gone any better?

fuzyon

I don't think its reputation has risen up at all, it probably never will since it's an obscure domain that not a lot of people find trustworthy. I think you can still pick them up for $0.01 depending on where you make your purchases, but I wouldn't waste even a dime considering people will shy away from your site.

I don't think its reputation has risen up at all, it probably never will since it's an obscure domain that not a lot of people find trustworthy. I think you can still pick them up for $0.01 depending on where you make your purchases, but I wouldn't waste even a dime considering people will shy away from your site.
The premium ones are worth thousands of dollars. However, the other ones, as you say, are incredibly inexpensive. Nonetheless, I don't think people will shy away from the website because of the extension. In reality, most people don't care about the extension unless they are into SEO, internet marketing, or the buying and selling of domains.

I think Jason has a valid point. People hardly care about extension unless they have a reason to. It's just that the demand and supply of .xyz has gone so low sych that those with the extension are stuck on them or are trying to build up a website on it.

fuzyon

The problem is many people associate .com with a reputable site, .xyz looks just like a random string of letters and that takes away from the reputation. Casual users care about these aspects too, otherwise .com domains wouldn't be in such hot demand.

The problem is many people associate .com with a reputable site, .xyz looks just like a random string of letters and that takes away from the reputation. Casual users care about these aspects too, otherwise .com domains wouldn't be in such hot demand.
No, in reality, .coms are easier to remember and brandable. For instance, insurance.com is easier to remember than insurance.info. Nonetheless, a person can market using a domain that isn't a .com. However, they have to emphasize the extension in advertising. Nonetheless, most marketers would rather not bother with the hassle.

Note, I also mentioned the word brandable. For instance, the title of your blog could be ZQI. You wouldn't have to mention the .com; it would just be assumed. On the other hand, ZQI.info, as I mentioned before, would need to have the extension emphasized in advertising.

However, note this whole idea is possibly limited to a few western markets. Nations outside these markets possibly put more weight into national extensions, and most people want to have them. For instance, .co.uk is the most popular extension in the UK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom