• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Country domain extensions (.us, .uk, .in, .london)

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to know what do you think of country domain name extensions like .us, .uk, .in, .london and many more, will they look professional and any advantages for search engines.

So what are your thoughts.

I think they are extremely easy to use even for those not much versed with computer and IT. I mean if I were to explain an elderly gentleman with no much clue about websites I just have to roughly explain that this site is uk based hence after the dot just add uk etc.

When I started using net years back I only knew that dot com existed later I realised that country specific extensions were great aid in remembering them.

As far as search engine goes, people usually key in just the keywords rather than sites but when searching for country specific products they may provide to be useful.

If you want to promote your website specifically to a certain nation, then a national domain extension is a good idea. However, note it might be difficult or impossible to rank in other nations. However, remember that certain domain extensions like .io and .co are treated like a .com or .net, even though they represent certain specific areas.

Last edited:
Since I am interested in attracting global traffic and I don't do country specific business, I don't have any interest in using country specific domain extension. Interestingly, we have dot com dot np (for Nepal) extension, but not dot np extension.

However, note it might be difficult or impossible to rank in other nations.
I remember when I took this into consideration. For a business that is doing business on an international level, it might not be best to do this. Now if you are able to track locations, then you can have multiple extensions for your domain kind of like how google does it with theirs.

I wanted to do this because I wanted my users to know exactly where I was hosting the site, and my intentions for the business to be done in the US. Then I wanted something to be more friendly to the average visitor, I think it's sending the wrong statement. I thought people would think it was a government site or something like that.

NormaD

I'm also interested in traffic from all over the world. Unless you have a small local business that you have no intention of taking international then I don't think that would be a great idea.

Ironically, many people don't see the .us extension as representing the US, but rather as just being the word us, as in the sentence, "Give it to us." However, doesn't that seem misleading? It's a sort of fraud. For instance, if .us ranks better in the US because it's .us, - but most people interpret it another way, then, yeah, of course, it's a fraud.

Top Bottom