• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Characteristics of a good domain name

Rubie

Domain name is a vital part in web hosting. This basically serves as the address of a website. A website will not exist if there is no domain name. This is also considered as the represenatation of the website because apart from the site structure domain name serves as the identity of the website. In order to have a well-defined website, we must consider a well-characterized domain name.

Listed are the characteristic of a good domain name that should be considered in web hosting.

1. Short
2. Easy to remember
3. Easy to spell
4. Must have .com extension
5. Descriptive, in the sense that it would give an idea for the visitor on what the site is about.
6. Branded or appealing
7. Not containing numbers or hyphen (recommended)

Domain name is the identity of a site by which it is referred to. This should be unique, and as you said, easy to remember.

Though, most of the domain names end with a dot-com, which stands for company, but there are other prominent extensions like org, in, info, net etc. are available depending on the type of the business. Someone, who is to create a site, ought to think of a domain name to get it registered at a specific IP address in the world of internet.

Nice tips, unique, short and easy to remember are top factors. But it's also great to include a keyword on the domain name to add seo weight.

deepa

When we try to choose a name, there are so many similar ones that we feel discouraged. A unique name can attract visitors and I guess it needs some creative thinking to coin a name besides considering the keywords too. A .org name is often given preference by search engines.

Rubie

A substantial information you just added @moondebi, but I want to clarify that .com stands for commercial, not company.

I think when we talk about the selection of proper keywords to be associated with domain name, it falls under the descriptive characteristics @adssolsn. You can experiment a domain name that can perfectly describe your website's content as a purpose of having it as the best searcheable keyword.

In domain name selection, uniqueness is guaranteed. As @moondebi mentioned that domain name serves as website's identity, it is indeed. Being considered as identity it is suppose to be unique. I think there's no website that has the same domain name.

Last edited:
Keep in mind these steps to help you pick the perfect domain.

1. Keep it Short.
2. Be Memorable.
3. Make it Easy to Type.
4. Use Keywords.
5. Avoid Numbers and Hyphens.
6. Use an Appropriate Domain Name Extension.

nailah783

I like domain names with a play on words. I think it makes it more interesting and when the name is more interesting, you could get more hits. It also helps with your memory of the site because there's something different about it. I even had a one of those internet gurus say to name your site something silly because it makes people want to know what in the world is this site about. It's almost as important as naming your child. It should take as much thought and effort on your part too.

Domain names should be short and meaningful, better if it uses the main keyword; should be catchy and easy to remember; should be top level domain.Remember to avoid punctuation marks and numerals.

When I first created my first blog site, I found it trouble-some on what domain name should my blog site be. I attempted several names, but I was prompted that those names weren't available. Presto! I got an idea that a domain name should be a unique one, easy to be recalled, and appropriate to the niche or the product you are apt to. So I came up using my name for my blog site is all about me, my thoughts and ideas as they come along.

Bilby

Right now I am a fan of what I call "Captain Obvious" domain names. There is always a temptation to come up with something unique and clever. But two or three really directly descriptive words is what seems to work best for me. a.k.a. having the site be what it says on the box, so to speak. Clever names can be hard for people to "get".

Top Bottom