• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Buying all possible domain host for 1 website

Let's say I decided to create a site known as Bland Sunflower and it uses the host •com
I am the owner of that domain and I want to be the only person to own a website with such a ridiculous name. I had encountered 2 websites with different owners and domain hosts but have the same name.

This will cost me a lot of money but I think I should also buy the other possible domain hosts for the website. I want to create so my site name that won't get copied intentionally nor unintentionally. I heard about the dangers of someone owning site with the same name as yours but uses a different domain host. Just imagine if the site that shares the same name as yours gets involved in a scandal.

P.S admins It the anti spamming security makes posting a thread about domain hosts hard. :confused:o_O

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I agree that it will cost lot of money if you want to purchase all the domain hosts. Even I have seen that with same names there are many domain hosts and all different domain hosts have different owners. There is also the possibility that you might loose customers or visitors, as they would go to the different domain host thinking that is your company.

It can be quite expensive if you want to buy all the domain extensions for a certain domain although you should only really consider buying the main ones such as com, net, org, info etc. For example there is no real point of going to purchase a .co or .club domain name as very little people will go to those types of domains. Although it is expensive it could save you money in the long run as you will not lose any visitors to your actual site to any competitors

I considered that when I was purchasing the domain name for my blog. The reason I was considering it was because though creative, it wasn't the only one already purchased that was very similar to it. However, the costs just weren't feasible for me taking into account that I haven't really monetized my blog at this point and I'm on a tight budget.

sbatz1972

Wow, you have brought up some very interesting points. I too have run across other domains that are the same as others I have visited and they turned out not to be from the same owner. This could cause a problem if the other site that was like yours used everything that was exactly like your site including a similar domain and attempted a scandal. This is especially scary for those sites like financial institutions that the facsimile site could create a fishing site scam by creating a site similar to the financial institution.

Raiden

Interesting. I thought of doing this, but it would be quite expensive, so I decided against it and just bought the com (for some reason XF thinks using a period + com = a URL...) domain-name. It could be beneficial to get the major TLD's as well, like net, org, etc. However, doubt any other sites would have the same name as mine, so not a huge deal, in my opinion.

Interesting. I thought of doing this, but it would be quite expensive, so I decided against it and just bought the com (for some reason XF thinks using a period + com = a URL...) domain-name. It could be beneficial to get the major TLD's as well, like net, org, etc. However, doubt any other sites would have the same name as mine, so not a huge deal, in my opinion.
It took me 5 hours to post this to this thread because the system is accusing me of posting a URL too. I though I am the only person who experienced this super strict built it anti-spam. Yes it would be expensive that's why I am not making a website yet. I need to have more than enough budget before I started making my own website because I want to but all the possible domain those copy cat people will try to imitate.

Act of registering, trafficking in, or using an internet domain name with bad faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to someone else is known as cybersquatting. That's also known as domain squatting. Some countries have specific laws against cybersquatting beyond the normal rules of trademark law, suggest you read about it for your country but then that is applicable only when you have a really active domain and someone tries to sell it to you.

But yes, it's always painful to see your loved domain to go away...so possibly register them as soon as you can.

Top Bottom