• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Avoid abbreviations for domain names

Sharon

I once heard someone say that when it comes to a domain name or a name of a company or organization that one should always avoid using abbreviations because although they are meant to make it easy to remember it doesn't help your project as far as recognition goes. Do you agree with this advice?

I do not agree with this advice, my school had us make a website to be publishing articles and we abbreviated the domain name, it didn't take or made our site any less and like you said it was easier to remember and more people accessed it because of the name.

If your abbreviation is an interesting acronym that sounded like a work and still has something to do with the advocacy of the website, It may still work. There is an animal rights group known as PAWS. Their abbreviation obviously have something to do with animals. I think abbreviations will still work if your abbreviation still sounded like a word, instead of something like S.K.B.I or anything of that variation.

It does not matter whether you use abbreviated name for domain name or full form. The most important thing to consider is having a catchy word for domain that can be remembered easily.

MeowsePad

I think that abbreviations can be a great way to make a domain name more memorable as others have said. For example, I am considering buying a domain name for my clan Betty Crocker Armory. That would be an extremely long domain, so I think I'm going to purchase something along the lines of "bcarmory." xD

As far as my knowledge on domain names goes, the easier to remember the better. A word like pronounciable acronym or abbreviation would make a fantastic domain name then a long jargon like domain name.

Features of a good domain name are:
shorter the better: if you can come up with one word domain name that will be best.
Keyword: your domain name should include your main keyword, or the word that represent your website. If it is a personal website, your name will be the best domain name. I have a personal website that goes by the name Vinaya Speaks.
Easy to remember: what ever name you use, it should be easy to remember.

Yes I quite agree when it comes to going for a domain name it's proper to spell out the names and do away with abbreviations. This will help the visitors have an idea of what the site is about. Most visitors do not have the time to think what could that abbreviation be if the names were abbreviated and as such may not be drawn to the site.

Top Bottom