• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Are keywords in url important or not?

fabio

I usually read that having important keywords in the URL, specially before the "?" character, would improve the search ranking of a given page.

But there is a heated discussion on phpBB community forums, where people sustain that it's irrelevant, and doesn't make much difference. It got me a bit confused.

Should I care if I have the right keywords on my URL, or worry that phpBB doesn't do it?

I have heard that keywords in URLs are useful, because it is easy for the visitors to remember it, but not important for SEO rankings. However, this statement needs confirmation from authorised sources.

reddyash

Administrator
Staff member
I would say keywords in the domain will certainly gain more ranking, as most of the search engines looks for keyword density.

Let say you have your main keyword in the following places:

• title
  • meta description
  • url
  • h1
  • h2
  • first paragraph
^That's over optimization - I would keep the slug clean of the exact matched keyword. Change it a little, having a different but related keyword in the url will get you better results. At least this is what I've found.

ray

As the poster just above mine mentioned I totally agree with him. One should take every visible area to use his targeted audience and keywords in URL is one of the important places. I have worked on certain sites which specially required their users to use at least 2 keywords in their title and 4-5 in meta description.

Keyword should be in url. This helps in site ranking as well as contenting ranking. I wanted to have a domain name "Travel Nepal." It was taken already then I used eZine Nepal as the domain name and named my site Travel Nepal. Since Nepal is in the domain name, my website has chances of ranking when ever "Traveling Nepal" is searched.

luisalex96

catchphrases in the url are a standout amongst the most vital thing in google positioning, particularly in corner watchwords/seek demand. In the event that you are in a corner, with not all that much google comes about, a great url will quite often put you on the primary page of results, if worse.

In any case, remember, that the goal for Google, is authoritatively, to give the client the most ideal answer. The main thing you ought to stress over while dealing with a site/online journal is the client experience and the substance quality you offer. Quality written substance makes all the difference like they say. One day they may choose that 'URL over-Enhancement' is considered as catchphrase spam and may give you a punishment for this...that is the magnificence of Google and their supreme mastery.

On the off chance that you are scanning for 100% dependable science on Google SEO, simply go to the Google Look HQ and ask them, in light of the fact that lone Google knows precisely what's up, yet they won't answer and I am certain the majority of them (Google seek engineers) don't generally know of much weight a specific parameter is Versus another (there are a great many variables in Google algo).

ray

In fact Google in no habit of answering your questions anywhere even if you ask them directly. They have forums to response to your queries and persons authorized at different rank have their own versions on different matters so it is best in your own interest to see yourself what works best for you.

Tornado

Yep, think of them as 'tags' on YouTube Videos, you search them then your video would come up :)
I say they are very important.

Top Bottom