• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Aggressive spammers

This thread is about a forum where I was a member for year and its admins are currently struggling because of some spammer from India that claims to be a love Guru. The spammer is promoting a telephone hotline for a so called psychic or love guru from India and the way they flood to create new threads is overwhelming. They invaded the first three pages of every forum section and banning them is useless because they kept on coming back with multiple accounts. To all experienced forum owners here, how can you permanently block someone who kept on joining after you banned them? I want to have my own forums and I don't know how to handle a chaos like this. I think forum owners should ban the IP address of these infamous "love guru" thread flooders before they make some serious damage.

cwvps

They should definitely ban this IP address and for further on, place captcha before you enter the forum.

I too think the only viable solution is to ban the IP address. But in the present scenario of mobile broadband, they can easily change the device very often. You can access sites from different IPs if you got a number of smartphones or tablets. All you have to do is to insert the SIM in a dongle and start working on it. You can buy a tablet or smartphone at a very cheap rate nowadays.

In that case close monitoring is required to keep these spammers at bay. This makes the Admin's job a very difficult one. It is also necessary to take other members into confidence so that they can also help the Admin to spot the spammers as soon as they are active.

I tried suggesting IP banning but for some unknown reason they can keep coming back. I really don't know what these spammer saw on my site that they kept spamming. They were able to make new accounts with a snap. They don't seem to be from the same country, so Country banning won't work. They seemed to be people who were paid by those microworker sites.

That means they might be having multiple computers or have access to a technology that can change their IP address. Nowadays having multiple devices is a not uncommon. Tablets and laptops are available at throw away prices. I think with a number of tablets it would not be difficult to create multiple accounts. But I wonder what is their benefit in spamming a forum and why should they spend their time and resources on this activity? I am sure there is a person motive behind such deliberate efforts.

I think that is the reason why some websites automatically bans people that uses mobile devices from visiting their sites. People who uses prepaid internet were also automatically banned by some websites even if they were innocent because majority of spammers uses cheap internet connections and mobile devices.

I have seen messages of Love Guru, also mentioned as Vasikaram Baba in some forums. Blocking IP is a good option. I would never recommend captcha because captcha will deter real users. Perhaps the forum owners did something to block these spammers because these spammers did not last long on the forums.

Top Bottom